• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How 'bout the fishing report?

notsogoodfisherman

Alot of folks have asked this same question and I think that those in the know are growing tired of answering. Reading back through past posts, it seems as though the fishing is slower than last year; however, there havent been as many fishermen out ether. Are you and the family comming up to the lund estate on friday or saturday? I think that the boys are pretty anxious to get out on the ice...

My guess is that the folks who make money on the ice fishing up there don't want to come out and say that the fishing sucks. Would kinda put the damper on people coming up and spending money on rentals, lake access, bait, lodging, etc, etc,.

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 12-28-2002).]

Last year we did great,caught lots of fish,
drank lots of------,had A blast!
Then I talked to A welding salesman that went
up for A weekend and caught ZIP.
It all comes down to what you soak your bait
in(captain or miller) can't remember what
Kelly soaks his in thats still A secret grin.gif
So come up and give it A whirl, the least that can happen is you can HAVE A GOOD TIME.

PUTZ cool.gif

------------------
just cross this line------

The fishing has been slow. People are seeing them on thier flashers and camaras but the crappies do not seem to be hungry. We need to remember that we are in DECEMBER! What else should we expect? An active aggressive bite like March? We want it to be like Febuary and March but the crappies know better. smile.gif
Hopefully they will follow the same pattern as other years, just a little bit better every day as the year goes on. They will fire up someday and the people waiting for a good report will miss it and be days or weeks late. grin.gif
I'm not going to give any good reports cause all that gains me is a crowd around my houses. shocked.gif
upnorth,
Fishing NEVER sucks unless your biggest concern is how fast you can fill your bucket.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

[This message has been edited by kelly-p (edited 12-28-2002).]

As many regular crappie fishman already know the action picks more towards spring on ANY lake not just RED. I've been on many lakes fishing for crappies where I SEE many fish on Vexilar but they are just not biting. I'm sure there is still lots of natural food in most lakes for the crappies and when the food starts to dwindle they will be more interested in our offerings.
crappie addict Pete

Kelly-p

1st, I admire your frankness, someone up there finally coming out and saying that the fishing is slow is admirable.

2nd, I should rephrase my earlier statement. I should have said the fish weren't hitting well, fishing is fishing and catching is something else smile.gif I stand corrected.

But on the other hand actually catching something definetly enhances the fishing experience. I don't think that hoards of people will go anywhere and pay money to sit on the ice thinking there are not going to catch anything smile.gif

You're not going to get any bogus reports here, go to the Hudec's forum for that!!!

And that's only because it's a non-moderated forum, nothing to do with Hudec's.

Yeah I kind of figured I would get these responses. After all, everyone has an opinion. smile.gif My only hope is that the weather is decent and we manage to catch SOMTHING. I just hate going back skunked! It has happened too many times. After all look at my login name :P

And if the fishing is not happening the beverages will be.

see ya soon.

ever the optimist, i am. Even though i was up there last saturday and has less success than i expected, i wrangled monday off from my job and will be heading back up there tomorrow morning. I also saw many fish on my vex and i figure i just need to roll up my sleeves, fine tune my presentation and look out. Either way, whether snapping my suspenders, or swallowing hard, i will make a report. Ps: i have a secret techique i will be trying which i have held back using as yet so to be fair to the fish lol

Notsogood,
The one thing I can say is if you ain't catching anything move. The times that we were sucessful last year, we move until we found actively feeding fish. If we were into perch or walleye we moved. If we caught a Northern things would die for about a half hour and then come back.

Good luck grin.gif

on a cool winters evening, in a fish house in the middle of no where, i met up with the gambler, he looked awful frail and weak.................... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
just had to. maybe i'll work on fillin in the blanks.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!---jigglestick---

The appearance was just a ruse, never underestimate the cunning of THE GAMBLER. food for thought: The Great Gray Goose That Flies By The Light Of The Moon, Gathers No Moss.

Was up on sat out of Benzo, caught four. Had alot of fish come screaming up to it and slowly go away. The walleye bite was pretty good, they are still fun to catch even if you can't keep em.

Here's my weekend report.....
I fished URL on Saturday from about 1PM until 8. Caught 3 nice slabs between 2:30 and 3:00. I kept marking fish, could get them to chase the bait up a foot or two off the bottom but they wouldn't hit frown.gif . Finally at ~2:30 I changed to a small chartreuse glow hook and got 3 in a row as soon as the bait went down the hole. By 3:00 they were gone.....
Lots of little perch, walleyes and decent Northerns to fill in the time though. Kept one 30" pike for the pickle jar, and about 6PM thought I had another big pike on. Fought the fish for at least 10 minutes......every time it got near the hole it made another loooong run (LOTS of fun with 4 pound test on a noodle rod ! grin.gif ) Finally on about the 3rd try getting it in the hole I realized I had my lantern between my two holes and the d$#n fish was getting spooked by the light every time it got the near the hole :o ........you gotta realize I was already pretty deep into the Crown bottle by now wink.gif When I got it through the hole and flopped it on the ice next to that 30" pike I realized it wasn't a pike (DUHH ) but a 28" walleye !!!
What I would've given for a camera.....well....cut the line....and back down the hole he went.....
All in all.....a great day on URL !
Plus an added bonus of Dancing Bear, Kelly P, Halad, and Gooseslayer at WW....good drinks, good company, and a pizza to go....until next trip....thanks for the pointer Kelly !!
Twitter

Four of us were out of the westwind landing sat the 28th 10am-9pm with mixed success in 13'of water. Tip-ups w/ suckers during the day yielded one 29" pike and one 39" pike both CPR. Lots of perch and 6 walleyes 5-24" and 3 13" Crappies- I drilled about 30 holes w/in 200yds and did alot of hole hopping but think they are scattered-we had few lookers but even fewer takers-I won't be back up there for crappies for another month but may go back sooner for gators. Tight lines-redhooks

We tried hard even ran up to LOTW and rented a shack up there. It was slow all over though. We did however catch a buzz and had a blast which was why we were there in the first place. Thank god I'm back to work as my liver needs a break! Great seeing everybody and we'll see you in Feb! DB

It's a stunning hat! It looked really good on New Years, kinda set off the outfit when I was playing air guitar with a pool stick!

Thanks that was a blast and I hope to see you again this winter! DB

Made it to Upper Red yesterday and fished in about 13 feet of water. Got the first one around 4:30 and the bite was sporadic, but by 7:00 I had eight crappies. Noticed that yesterday they were a couple feet off the bottom, and the glow color that worked the best was red. Good luck!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Me and a buddy stopped up on the 3rd got there about 3 and fished til about 9 or 10.
Couldn't seem to convince any crappie to bite. Lots of perch that are just shy of keeper size and about half a dozen walleye.
they sure looked tasty but we setteled for some steaks on the grill...maybe a beer of 2 as well heheheheh