• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ICE FISHING

I am planning an ice fishing trip to hudecs after seeing an outdoors show - After reading your forum some I am a little worried because I cannot move a rented ice house!! I would hope that the folks who rent them would try to put you on fish. Any Feedback or advice would be appreciated

jjigstick, nice name. i think the resort owners for the most part try to keep you on fish. their buisiness depends on it. but like any thing else, no body controls the fish. they could be hammering them for days in a row, then you show up and some thing has changed. what a crappy(not crappie) spot right? my suggestion is to plan on at least two days fishing. much better odds. most of my guys did real well if they allowed a couple of days for fishing. some only needed 45 mins. to get their fish! i love it when that happens smile.gif however if it doesn't happen that you can spend that much time, your chances are still pretty good to get into the fish. it would be best if you could fish next to some one who has done their home work, and is willing to bust their butt for ya! my money is on kelly p. or me. good luck and may be see you out there this ice season. ---------jigglestick---------

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

All you'll need to do is let Hudec's know the fish aren't biting and ask nicely if they can get it on fish for you when they get a chance.

Most everyone that rents houses up there tries to keep the rentals on fish. They do a lot of work to keep it that way..everyone except kelly-p that is.

He gets some dang dog or ninetoes do do his work for him.

Don't cry over spilled Rick, Kelly. cool.gif We know it's a little appreciated art form, getting other guys to do your work while you sit back and do those 12-ounce bicep curls. Still keeping your eye on those jumbo perch? grin.gif

Nobody works harder at putting people on fish than Kelly P. just make sure Codeman isnt anywhere near you.

If Jjigstick likes to move rental house's have I got a deal for him. smile.gif
stcatfish, Forget the perch. This year I'm gonna put a lot effort into finding you a nice batch of eelpout.
Rick, That dog got uppity and doesn't do much work after he got the full time job driving halad around. grin.gif
jigglestick, What can I say????? Here we go agaaaaiiiiinnnnnnnn. shocked.gif
halad, You're up early too!!!!!!

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

[This message has been edited by kelly-p (edited 10-22-2002).]

Hey Kelly, I'll take those pout. At least you can get a strip of meat off the backs. grin.gif

Seriously, thanks for the help last winter. If there'd been no Kelly for this rookie, there'd been no limit.

Jigstick......if you have a portable, bring it with you and use the permenant as base camp if you're permanent's not on fish. The best suggestion I can give you is to read this forum during the ice season. These guys are all really great about sharing their knowledge of the lake and the current bite. I fished URL every other weekend last year and had the best fishing of my life thanks to all the information I read here. I never had an unsuccesful trip ! But, my measure of success may not be the same as yours....although I've never been skunked on URL. Ice conditoins, bridge conditions, etc. By watching here, you'll know the day the ice forms on the lake, when the bite hot and at what time of day or night, and the day the sherrif closes the lake frown.gif
If you're interested, I make the trip alone quite often and based on your Zip we're probably close to neighbors....I'm in NE Mpls too. If you need a partner that knows his way to West Wind....even in the worst conditions....(Thank God for a GPS ! wink.gif ) let me know and maybe we can hook up this year.
Twitter

I cann't thank you enough for the help either stfcatfish. If not for you the customers the next day would have caught all those perch. Thanks for cleaning them out of there. grin.gif
Jjigstick, Good luck when you're up here. Just be carefull that jigglesticks auger doesn't land on you. I hear he's going for a new height record this year.
I'm outta for a couple days people so I'm at your mercy as I will not be able to defend myself. smile.gif From harvest to bear hunters to duck hunters I haven't been out of Waskish since early July so I'm due. First off a haircut,,, this shaggy dog routine has got to go.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Jigstick--check us out on the used gear forum--the fishhouse is on wheels and Kelly has put us on fish for the last 4yrs

Kelly, go get out of here for a while, we all know you deserve it after the long fall you have been through. It won't be long until there is ice and you will be back full throtle again. Have a good vacation if thats what you call it and watch out for flying shoes, they can be dangerous.

------------------
West Wind
Waskish, MN
218-647-8998

Halad,
Its looks like you finally taught the dog how to type, huh?

I'm thinking about setting up the portable this weekend and replacing the black canvas with some snow-white material. This should keep me well hidden with the added benefit that ICEMAN won't be able to find me out there.

Have you had a chance to hit the lake at all this fall?

codeman

The haircut is part of the plan. Along with my fish houses painted a different color.
Let me warn you W.W.. Her left hook is worse then her flying shoes. Trust me I learned the hard way. smile.gif
Codeman,
Be careful with the white house idea. halads dog might think it is just a snowbank to drive through. You know how he likes to scare halad. How did you feel the next morning after you called me? I bet it hurt. smile.gif
Russ & Judy,
I think I only met you 2 years ago so you must be thinking of someone else. grin.gif Also remember that I told you that it is all I can handle to try to keep my houses on fish so I wouldn't have time to take care of your house this winter. Besides would it make any sense for me to help my competition find fish? That would be silly of me. smile.gif
It was nice to get away but shocking to get back out in the real world. Traffic lights, speed limits and driving on Tar of all things!!!!The classic was when I walked into a food and fuel for some coffee and right there in front of me was the rack with pastries, donuts and such. My first thought was, WOW look at all the bear bait!!!! pathetic. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Kelly--you were right it was 2yrs ago ,when you hooked us on upper red, sorry you cant take care of our house but you are a guide there that works hard at it

Kelly,
I had planned on running up to see you the day after I called but I hit the lake in the morning and actually had some success with the crappies and blue gills so I decided to stay put for a day or two, which quickly turned into a week. At least on a lake of only 450 acres, a strong north or northwest wind can be dealt with. I know its a different story on URL. Last fall when Halad and I went out, we had a heck of a time getting the anchors to hold. Its a good thing there were enough beverages on board to keep our minds off drifting. Or was it the beverages that got our minds drifting????? Is there really a difference?

codeman

It is amazing to see what a little cold weather does for the forum. It seems to have awakened the interest once again. Kelly, where did you vacation? I really regret not making it up to shoot some ducks this fall, but my schedule did not allow it. How was the hunt? Shae and Sierra just asked today when we would be heading back up to URL. I think they have the fever as bad as I do. Later.

Finally getting back to you guys,
Codeman,That was such a hectic time for me you did right by staying there. Bear hunting went on and on and on. I'm just now finally starting to get some field work done.
scott-z, It was really a vacation. Little Italy had to see a specilist for her neck in Fargo so it was one day there and then back but it was out of Waskish. The ducks were going O.K. and just starting to get great when the cold weather hit. frown.gif It now has been 2 weeks of the same. 15 to 20 at night and low 30's for highs. Frozen up pretty tight now except for the Tamarac and Upper Red.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Well I went with the consensus here and reserved a shack with Kelly-p.Kelly, you guarantee at least one 2 1/2# crappie every 24 hours, right?

I am coming up on the 14th of Jan..I'm going to meet some friends on LOW on the 15th.A few of us had been wanting to try some crappie fishing on your lake for awhile.We thought we would come up a day early and give it a try.Can't wait

When is typically the best time of year to ice fish for crappies on URL? Is early ice as good as late February, early March? Just wondering....want to start planning a couple fishing trips this winter. Thanks!!!

Milkdud