• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lanterns as attractants?

Just had a group of friends return from URL, said fishing was slow until they figured out to put their lanterns on high above their holes. I've heard both sides of this story, light helps, light scares 'em away. This group also said they heard it was illegal to use suppemental lighting to attract fish on URL. Now that one, I've never heard. What's the story? Will be up thereabouts first week of April to fish the Rainy River, but with the way our spring is going, may be on URL quite often. Should I drill a hole 1/2 way, and put my lantern in it? Any opinion would be appreciated. Tight lines and cold brew to all!

Yes, it is illegal to use artificial light to attract fish. A submersible light is the first thing that comes to mind. Let’s understand one thing. If you choose to fish after sundown, you’re going to have to use artificial light to light your house. There is no way around it, unless your using some night vision goggles. If you choose to set your lantern on the ice to illuminate your fishing shelter I don’t think that would constitute a violation. Yes, some of that light is penetrating the ice. Is it attracting fish? Who knows?
Also if you were to drill a partial hole in the ice to prevent your lantern from tipping over and thus prevent a fire hazard, I don’t think that would constitute a violation either, provided the hole your lantern was placed wasn’t 2 foot deep. Keep the mantels above water level and you should be o.k.

All right, now at least I know the rules, but what about whether it helps or not? I like the way Crusher thinks, I'm all about keeping fire hazards down on the ice. The question remains ... does it attract or not? I have had luck open water in Wisconsin for Crappies with a lantern, it seems to attract insects, which attract minnows, which attract ... you get the idea. Glow jigs I will bring, and here's to big papermouths for all!

I have prooven this to myself and a friend. Light DOES attract baitfish. If your in a river or a spot that fills with lots of baitfish, they will be attracted. On the otherhand, I do believe that light will attract fish to a certain extent, but I believe they like to see what it is and they are EXTREAMLY leary about what they eat when they are accompanied by large amounts of artificial light. Guess it depends on what fish it is...Walleye, crappie, or DOGFISH!..
:-) Dogfish, now they will come right to the light and beg for another snack. This is my expierience anyways. Just another opinion. I have tested, so I call it fact.

------------------
[email protected]

Light does in fact attract bait fish especially if its a light source that illuminates on a regular basis. For example at the end of some of the channels on lake Minnetonka there are bright lights that come on each night so the boats can see where the channel is. These are some of the best night crappie and walleye spots on the lake and the reason is the bait fish are attracted to the area by the light which in turn attract crappies and walleyes that feed on the bait fish.
crappieaddict pete

nineballs, all I can say is wow, low blow like that counts as a foul, four more and you may be benched in this ball game. blush.gif

If you have a lot of light goig though the ice you will attract numorous organisms. The crappies will wait outside the ray of light just like they do in the summer. and yes I know its illegal

according to the regs it is not legal to use artifical light to attract fish other than when the light is part of the lure you are using,later Bruce

Yes, it is illegal on any lake in Mn to use artificial light to attract fish...that of course other then your little glow jig. :-)

PCG

My opinion right or wrong. The more light you have above the ice the less crappies you will catch on URL. Like NINETOE says, "keep your house dark and your jigs bright".
When I am testing a new area I will catch 4 times more crappies with my dome light then with my flood lights.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Either way, I like Crushers interpretation of one of those "gray areas" of the law.

kelly-p, i agree with you on the low light fishing. if you are in a portable without a floor a lantern seemed to provide too much light. didn't catch many that trip. lately i've been using a portable that has a floor and for me it has made a big difference. i've been out two times in the last week and have limited out both times.(i used the same lantern in both houses, same intensity). be back out again fri evening-truck needs a wash. hee hee