• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

anchor or drift?

I have not fished the river in the spring time. do most people anchor or drift? Are shiners the ticket or fatheads. thanks.

Either or both is the answer to both questions. However, I much prefer to slip drift. Use your trolling motor to keep your lines verticle and you'll typically have better success in the spring. In the fall that's not true as often, but seems to be in the spring.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

I personally think drifting works the best, there are occasional times when I will anchor up. I use the smallest jig size I can for water level and current. Really, I feel any minnow works about the same, if i had to choose i would use rainbows.

Drifting is usually the name of the game in the spring. Since Certified Jumbo brought up jig size, I have a question... normally I also like to use the lightest possible for the conditions, but on Rainy I've noticed that sometimes the heavier you go the more you'll get bit. Does anybody else notice this? Seems kind of dumb to be using a 3/8 or 1/2 oz jig when a 1/4oz would do the job but maybe the fish like the bulk of a bigger jighead?

fishing addict: Slipdrifting is the process of running your trolling motor against the current to slow down your drift.

[This message has been edited by Beckman (edited 03-05-2004).]

I have heard anglers state "the bigger the presentation, the better the bite" as they were adding twister tails.

Most anglers will drift early in the season, mostly due to the ice chunks coming down river. Some drift because others are drifting and you don't want to be the one boat anchored in a group of 10 boats. (Not to get in the way of the "drift".)

I think what ever works!! grin.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com
Fishing on the Rainy River

Fish tomorrow where you didn't catch fish today!

Rainy River Fishing Reports

I usually drift if the current is slow enough to allow it. If the current is fast I anchor or "slip drift". It all depends on how fast the current is and how aggressive the walters are. On the big presentation thing, I believe that big presentation works well when the water gets cloudy, other than that, I enjoy using a 1/8-1/4 oz jig and shiner!!...man I hope this warmth today did some good!

I've always had good luck slip drifting using the trolling motor to keep myself on top of the jig. I love to vertical jig, but last year my buddies out fished me casting and just letting the jig slide along the bottom. They were using tiny little jigs also, I was using bigger ones. I was to stubborn to change to their way.

I usually prefer adjusting the drift to stay vertical but one day last year we got tired of fighting the wind and dropped anchor.My partner plunked for sturgeons and I started casting upstream- I got a 26" and a 27" w/in 3 casts so there's a time and place for everything.Can't wait the countdown has begun!
redhooks