• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

theres muskies in big birch

lttle walleye hunter

was out fish last week end and the guy i was fishing with caught a 30+ in muskie i was told there weren't any in there

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Not to my knowledge. Maybe someone else has heard of them being caught there but I haven't. probably someone doing some after midnight stocking of the lake(independent of the DNR).

Borch

I have fished Birch Lake for 35 years and my dad and his dad for over the last 80 to a 100 years and to our knowledge there has never been a Muskie caught nor has there been any stocked (we belong to the lake assoc.)

That individual was either mistaken or we have a biger problem then we thought. I hope your friend was mistaken.

bbl resident have you heard the rumor that they thinking of moving muskies into birch from a nearby rearing pond. FROG

I have been fishing Big Birch all of my 23 years and have never heard of any muskies being caught. I wonder how muskies would do in the lake if they were stocked? It would be interesting to find out. Anyone know how the fish are biting out there. I will be up next weekend chasing mostly walleyes but just would like to get some action. I know the northerns will probably be biting because they have been biting all year. Later

Barfrog, No I haven't. I assume you are referring to the pond over by the Golgen Eagle/Mound Lake area.

With the 24" max on Northerns Big Birch has today the spearing in the winter is tough. If they introduce Muskies into Big Birch Lake spearing would be eliminated completly.

I have a 99% confidence level that the DNR nor the Lake Assoc. would allow the stocking of Muskies on Big Birch Lake.

God, I hope that individual identified that fish incorrectly! I have been fishing Walleyes on Big Birch most my life and this would not help the limited population this year one bit!!

Wow BBL Resident, seems you have your mind made up that the introduction of Muskies will ruin fishing all together on "your" lake. There is alot of information out there pertaining to the amount of Walleyes that get eaten by Muskies, and that numbers are suprisingly low. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying the introductions would be good or bad. All I'm saying is that muskies don't ruin lakes or fishing, muskies may push the walleye's and other game fish off your usual spots, then it's time to find new ones, in some case Muskies can help lakes.

RU

Sorry didn't mean to open a can of worms,or a huge ugly debate, but education is key.

Hmmmm, the very best muskie lakes are also the very best walleye lakes. Coincidence???

As a general rule, muskies eat the same thing as walleyes, but larger sized.

I do not get why people are so opposed to muskies.

Tom B

I would hope that the fish was mistakenly identified. Not that I think muskies would ruin the lake but rather it would likely mean someone took matters into their own hands and introduced them.

I've heard lots of muskies and smallmouth showing up in places they should be lately. Sometimes it was and accidental introduction by the DNR. But most times they just started showing up without explanation.

Although some of my best walleye lakes are also excellent muskie lakes too. But the lakes are also much larger than Big Birch.

Borch

RuKid

I don't remember ever refering to Big Birch Lake as "My " lake!

Let me guess, you don't like lake property owners!

BBL, just bitter towards lake assoc. my family too owns lake property in the Alex area and the various associations up there are frustrating, messing with lake levels so they can their beaches, dictating DNR Decisions, the list goes on. I just think the assoc. are way to powerful now days.

I shouldn’t have done that, just bitter…

RU

Just thought I would add my two cents. I fish Big Birch in league and for rec fishing and catch lots of nice fish. I Did a report on Muskies feeding habits for school this past spring, and found that Walleyes made up less than 1 percent of the muskies diets. The others were mainly suckers, white fish, and perch. This data came from studies done on many lakes in MN and Wisconson. Good Fishin!!

I agree with RU. Before you go and say that muskies will hurt your lake maybe you should first do some homework

Alright, let's get back to talking fishing rather than roasting a person for their opinion or a group they belong to.

Like I said earlier. I'd be concerned as well if fish that weren't supposed to be in a lake I fished started showing up. We don't need any backyard biologists to take matters into their own hands. They can throw an ecosystem out of balance. Why do you think we're so concerned with all the exotic species showing up in our lakes? Because they can really mess up a system.

Muskies good or bad? It's all about what you like to fish. To each their own.

Now for a fishing question. I haven't fished Big Birch in the fall. I know there is a pretty good cisco population. Is there a good night bite pulling cranks on Big Birch? I've always done ok in the summer working the edge and got a few at night pulling cranks in the summer.

Borch

It wouldn't have had to be a "person" that introduced muskies or any other non-native specie to any lakes. It has been proven that Pelicans, Cormorants, Herons and other birds carry eggs and smaller fish from one body of water to another. They were responsible for introducing rough fish into a lake I used for fish and it destroyed the water clarity of the lake.
I, for one, would love to see more lakes managed secondarily for muskies. Giving people more chances to catch trophy fish. I think Little Birch would be a better candidate than Big Birch for muskies IMHO, but at any rate muskies and walleyes can thrive together.

I find it humorous that all of this bickering and opinionated statements, came from a post that has not been replied to by it's originator. We don't even know if it was some sort of joke or reality? Knowing Big Birch as well as I do, I would venture to say it was a mistaken identity of a Northern Pike.
Anyway, to get back to talkin' fishin':

Borch,
I have some friends who live in the area of BB and fish it quite often. They have told me the in the past, that the Walleyes will bite with no time consistency after dark. One day they are active near dusk, the next day they won't show up until midnight or 2:00 Am? I'm sure sometimes this is a matter of location. However, after all the times I have fished BB, I have yet to put together a consistant time frame.

So what you're saying is be prepared for an all nighter. I haven't done that for a couple years.

Fish all night. Go back to the dock and grab my decoys and shotgun and hunt some ducks.

It's tough to have a better night. grin.gif

Borch

Good detective work Eagle Eyes. I suspect our post initiator had something to do with this 30 inch musky getting into BB and wanted to draw some attention to it before someone actually caught it.

CaptainMusky,
Sounds like you are a much better detective than I !!!!

been gone for a few weeks but we were possitive that the fish was a musky. we caught the fish near the gass island

[This message has been edited by lttle walleye hunter (edited 09-02-2004).]

forget my last post and if you don't belive me here are a few facts about the guy who caught the muskie. he has fish the lake for 20+ years member of the lake assoc. lives on the south end of the lake is on the bass master tour and is on procraft fishing team i think me knows a muskie when he sees one like i said before possitive it is a muskie when he sees one
you might see him on the lake in a black procraft.

belive me now if not ask him if you see him.

[This message has been edited by lttle walleye hunter (edited 09-03-2004).]

holy smokes this post is way nuts. i love muskies and they love me lol. but if there is one in the lake it is maybe alone. i dont fish bb a hole lot and i would never bring the muskie tackle. beside's can BB even be a good lake for a muskie spawning habitat.

BB and Little Birch would be good lakes for spawning muskies. In my opinion, Little Birch is a textbook musky lake and they would thrive out there with the population of suckers, tullibees and the access to deep water.
BTW, just because someone knows what a bass looks like doesn't mean they know a musky when they see one. I would like to see muskies in either of these lakes, but want them there under the DNR's control.

here we go again we are going to throw muskies into a lake for trophy value that has a 10 year morateiam on northern thats way over rated that drove the wallleye population down and nobody says the ten years are up and everybody sittin here taken it put them in cedar lake 3 miles away where there is a 40 inch restriction on northern already

barfrog,
Typical response from an uninformed sportsman. When the meat eaters (walleye and panfisher people) can't catch fish, they immediately blame muskies and northerns for the problems. Esox prime forage does NOT include walleye OR panfish, but bullheads, suckers, carp, tullibees and perch. All of which (with the only exception being perch) are considered by most people rough fish and not valuable to a lake and in most cases push out game fish. I am not saying they don't eat the occasional walleye or sunfish, but it consititutes a very small percentage as proven in many studies.
Spend less time in the bar and time researching. No one said they were going to start putting muskies in BB, I merely made a comment that in my opinion it along with Little Birch would be a good candidate for stocking efforts. Will it happen? Not likely! Too bad, because musky fishermen spend lots of money and it could bring more people to the area in its prime.

Anyone have a recent report for Birch. Was up on Sunday and caught a really nice 15 inch crappie along with some northerns and a few largemouths, no muskies though! They were hitting the minnows pretty hard. As usual the walleyes were pretty hard to come by. Water was warmer this past weekend than it was the weekend before when I was up. Looking forward to doing some fall fishing out their. Should be pretty fun

barfrog, how true!
Get a little liquor in someone who normally is tight-lipped and the pointers start flowing. Though sometimes they are stories versus tips. It is hard to tell which is the case many times.

You folks are obviously good people. I have seen a little thing as aformentioned blow way out of porportion, but you guys have done a great job of getting along and recognizing a good fellow sportsmen.

By the way, is Rock Harbor still in business? I used to talk with the owner Ron (while conducting Department of Health restaurant inspections) who was a very nice guy and an avid bowhunter as well.

[This message has been edited by HOGEYE (edited 09-11-2004).]