• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Bust on Watab?

Been out to Watab hoping to spur crappies or the odd trout out of the crystal clear stuff....have seen trout, crappies, and northerns.....but only caught a bass and a single crappie over many hours on the pond.....any tips on how to entice those wily buggers? Anyone catching trout?

I haven't been out to Watab this winter yet. But I've had luck in the past catching trout with wax worms on a Sunfish type jig. Also had success on the smallest swedish pimple and a crappie minnow head. One more thing to try is Berkley Power baits for trout on a plain hook and bobber. (chartruese or orange) Good luck and let us know if you catch any.

Nels

I posted this question in a different Watab discussion, but I'd like to repeat it here...

Icefishing for trout/crappies/sunnies is legal during the ice season on Big Watab???

I was on the lake a few weeks ago and had a great day. Time spent with my son, decent weather, storm moving in... Everthing but catch fish. Saw lots of nice sunfish, many perch, a few nice trout. Great lake for the underwater camera. It never worked so well. Watched a 3' northern stay nose to nose with my shiner for about 5 minutes, but not take it. I'll be back to that sweet lake!

Legal to fish thru the ice?
Why not?

The Trout season opened a few weeks ago.

I have tried it once with little or no luck.
Will be back soon, before ice out.

I haven’t fished Rainbows in Minnesota through the ice but spent 11 years ice fishing them ice Alaska. Live bait is illegal in Alaska so we would use popcorn shrimp and salmon roe (eggs). Had great results.Would use a slip bobber, plain hook w/glob of eggs or tip a small jigging spoon with the shrimp.

Nels Bells – Give me a shout if you want to give Watab a try. I found that uncured salmon roe works best. The stuff your going to find in the stores in going to be cured but should work. Just so happens I have a 2 pound bag of uncured roe in the freezer from my trip last summer. Lets see if these MN Bows like’em.

Crusher

[This message has been edited by Crusher (edited 02-05-2004).]

I believe Watab is not a designated Trout lake, therefore, you can fish all season long for open season species.

You are correct, Watab is a 2 story lake, not a designated trout lake and you can fish panfish year round. Try a small green or orange jig with a strong hook and a couple larve. Fish in 6' at day break and set your bait half way to the bottom. Best bite is 1 hr before to 1.5 hrs after sun rise. Use a hand auger if you can, gas augers will spoke the fish in shallow water.

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Watab yesterday in preparation for another outing on Saturday with more people along. Fished the 10-20' depths near the stream in/(out?)let on the NW end. That was were the most permanent ice shacks were and since none of the shacks were being fished I drilled holes about 10' off them to see what depth/bottom they were fishing. Ended up in the middle of 200-300 crappies according to the aquavu. None were in a biting mood though. Did also watch a nice pike scare them off. With the great clarity the camera was probably good for 30' or more in all directions. When one local did show up he reported not that many rainbows being taken that he knew of. He did say he saw one rainbow eyeball his bait but not take it earlier in the week.

The only restriction at the landing is that of a trout stamp requirement (which I have). I had thought it was a no-live-bait lake but was wrong. Saturday I'm coming back with crappie minnows!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gentleman, I'm new to this forum, but have been following it off and on over the past year. I've enjoyed the discussions and information that has been shared here and thought I'd get in.

I'm planning on going out tommorrow with my son, my brother and his son. Thought we'd try Watab for crappies. Has anyone had any luck lately?