• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain

The Chemist

Once again Chem, Congratulations on your newest member of the Family. After meeting you, I know he will be in good hands. Take care and see you on the ice soon.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 02-11-2003).]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Chemist

• Mykal

• Mr. Pike1

• Alphid

Mykal, I was waiting for the report. Good to hear some crappie action. I spoke to Andy last night concerning his Mille Acs trip. They rented a perm shack out of Mcquades. There were 7 guys in the shake and Andy stated it was like a cabin on the ice with all the essensials. Anyway, the perch were biting with the biggest being aroung a pound. His brother also got a 27-28" at 11:00 on Friday evening. So walleye bite still very slow but some perch action,

Oops, sorry, it might not have been this forum. I read through several of them and may have gotten confused. I will find it and let you know! Hope you get the big one. How about those crappie tips, any locations for us die hard crappie guys?

Just got back from the Shoe. I moved NE of the hole to about 35 feet. Early in the day the Rockies were everywhere. I moved up out to 40 feet. More Rockies. I moved to 24 feet, then 18 feet around noon. I didn't mark a thing. I went back to 35 feet early afternoon. I finally hit my first Cat of the day about 2pm.She was suspended up high in 22 feet. Soon another that I fought half way up the hole and lost. It was a sow. Was pulling drag on my big rig. After that I missed 5 in a row as they were biting very light. (Like you said IceHawk.) I switched to small crappie jigs and smaller cut bait, even crappie minnows. I caught a few more but still lost a bunch. I even tried a bober, but they would let go of the bait once they pulled it under a foot or so. I didn't see the numbers of Cats like in weeks past. They are definatlely moving up as most came down to get my bait of from the top of the ledge and all were well off the bottom. They were suspended in 20-25 feet. I ended up getting about 7 with one 6-7 pounder,plus one small Walleye and a few more Rockies. More misses that catches. I didn't get any crappies like I did last week either. I didn't see a one. I assume they must have moved up or somewhere else. I definately need to learn more about the lake. I saw a few people over off Hammers Point as well, but didn't get over there to see how they were doing. Sounds like I will have to find a flat and move up next time out.

It would be a boot.

Or in this case a Rock Bass.

Glad to hear you had some luck today Mykal. We are going to try and set up a date for baptism tomorrow so then I should know my schedule. It's been a crappy day. I spent all day waiting to get a Fish Trap and then at 6 I found out they sold it. I went and cancelled a bunch of stuff to accomodate to get in touch with them too. What a crock of crap. Oh well sorry for venting. Hopefully I can make it out next weekend. What's the status of the ice?

Skeets, sorry, like Chem said Rock Bass. Lots of them in the area I was at right now.
Chem, the ice is very good. I am down to about 4 inches on the lazer mag before I finally broke through. Make sure you have good blades on the auger. Now that Walleyes season has closed, I will be targeting the Cats and crappie exclusively. We'll have to try that spot you mentioned. I still didn't drive out, I just have a funny feeling about the ice conditions this year with all of the open water areas and bad ice reports. There are plenty of vehicles out there though.

Mykal: I believe we are going up to the cabin this coming weekend. It will be me and maybe the youngest don't know for sure yet though. If you are going up we can figure out a place to go.

Chem, I have plans on Saturday Night so I would look to Sunday. Let me know your status. IceHawk, Scott, Alphid, Pike, anyone else going out this weekend?

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 02-17-2003).]

Mykal, enjoy your day on the shoe. It should be a gorgeous day on the hardwater and I would imagine you may be one of only a few on the water. Give me a report on your success..

Went to the Shoe yesterday afternoon. What a day! I fished without a coat or gloves. Didn't even need to heat the portable. The Cat bite has slowed quite a bit. I managed 6 with the biggest around 5 lbs. I easily missed as many. They are not real agressive right now. The crappie were there too but you had to work hard to make them bite. Nothing starts biting until very late afternoon. I moved closer to Hammers point, but did not graph anything. However it was early in the day. I moved off to deeper water and that's where I stayed.

Mykal: let me know what your plans are for Sunday. I'm not going to be up for the weekend but maybe I can con the wife into letting me go up for a while. I'm running up to the cabin tonight just to check on it and then I believe we are going to try to get up there next weekend.

Has anyone been fishing in the bay on 22? Curious if the crappies are moving up along with the cats.

Whereabouts? Near the opposing shoreline? just off to the right of the road on the lake or more towards the middle? I had good luck the last 2 years near the opposing shoreline in about 22ft of water. Cats, Crappies and 'eyes all from the same hole.

Chemist, are you going to be around tonight I need to get your map book back to you. If your going to be around I could swing by your place and drop it off. I will be home all night with my 8 mnth old german short hair who has an eye infection and is supposed to where a cone on his head when were not there to keep him from rubbing it all the time. anyway since I wont be able to go fishing tonight let me know so I can return the book. thanks again adam

When I pulled out of Cedar Island last night there was 6 guys fishing in the bay. First people I've seen in there for awhile

Chem, I might be up for next Sunday. This weekend and next Saturday I am busy with non fishing stuff. Bummer! I would like to try that spot off 22 if you are willing.

Adam I'm sorry I just seen this. It's been a very busy weekend. I'm at work right now. And have to come in on occasion tomorrow also. If you want you can put it in a bag and drop in our door otherwise I will be at the bowling alley every Thursday until May. Your choice.

Mykal sounds like you have the same schedule as me. I ended up working the entire weekend. And next Sat. the wife is having friends over. So I believe Sun. will have to be the ticket. I found a 6x6 ice tent in the house we are fixing up, too bad I didn't find the electronics that were to be there. VEx and a depth finder. Gonna see if I can get the tent onto a floor so that it will work out good.

Chemist, I will see you thursday at the bowing alley. What time do you bowl. I will be heading to red and winni on friday so I am looking forward to this week. We are planning on going to horshoe sunday and monday next weekend. Adam

I ususally get there around 6. We bowl at 6:45. The I don't leave until 11:00 on most nights. I believe I will be up on the shoe on Sunday. I got the okay, now to get everything packed.

Grim. I just found out we are celebrating my sisters birthday on Sunday. So I will be open the weekend of March 7th. Then it's off to LOW on March 14, 15, and 16th.

Ah you can skip that can't ya? J/K. I know how it goes. I'm just glad our family went with the combining birthday celebrations. I'll check to make sure it will work with the wife. I'll see if I can get up and do a little scouting on Sunday.

Such is married life: Or married w/ children. I'm trying to get a Fish Trap so that I can be a little more mobile. That shoremaster is way too heavy to move around alot.

I was unable to make it out yesterday. I was hoping to have the Explorer put together but took longer than I expected.

We are going up on Friday. So I will be out there Sat, and Sunday.

Alphid, looks like it's up to you to find the fish. I will be looking to get out there this weekend as well.