• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain

The Chemist

Cool. I believe I should get there around 12 also. I have to stop off at the cabin and pick up some stuff. Auger, sled and other stuff. Let the kids go to the bathroom. I'm pumped, the house is on top if the van.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Chemist

• Mykal

• Mr. Pike1

• Alphid

I am planning on getting out there tomorrow around 10 or so. With the warm weather we are expecting it should be a nice day to get out. Hopefully the cats are still biting.
Maybe even bring the grill.
A

How do you access the chain? Do you take a left by the River Roost if so, then what? Thanks Id like to try it out.

The Cat bite was on Friday! I picked up over 30 cats from 11am until 7pm, biggest I got through the hole was a 10 pounder. I easily lost another 10 fish and lost one that straightened out the hooks on my angel eye spoon! I couldn't get her more than halfway off the bottom before she peeled off line and dove back down. I tried to horse her up and she finally had enough. What a sow! Also caught a couple small walleye and small crappie. All were pounding the bait. I was the only one in the area and it was dead quiet. I know that was the key, because Saturday we had an army out there. I ended up with 10, Pike had a few. Alphid, Mick, Chem, and Chad how many did you end up with? They were spoon shy and very spooky. Started hitting real light. Now I am a believer that staying away from the crowds and noise makes a huge difference. What a difference a day can make.

Mykal,

I have never fished cats out under the ice and I was wondering if you could help me out a little.

You were using an angel eye, did you just tip it with a minnow head and jig aggressively?

I have also heard that cut-bait works well, but is that best used under a bobber or jigged for cats?

Will one find cats relating to structure that walleyes and crappies also are found such as points, humps and bars?

I just want to give it a go, because I want to try something new. I will be practicing catch and release and I was wondering if someone could point me in a vague direction of where they are biting. I'd be very obliged for any help. Thanks a ton!

Matt
[email protected]

Hello, this is the Dog of the chain. If you are trying to catch some cats on the chain the best advice is to get yourself in the deepest holes on the map. A vexilar is a must as they suspend. I don't think it much matters what you put in front of their mouth so the head of a minnow, full minnow, I don't believe it much matters. I would jig aggressively and hang on. Personally I try to keep them off my line. Please consider taking a few home for the grill, hopefully, thin them out a bit. SEA YA

I only got a couple cats, thanks to the rest for giving me some of theirs for a meal. I ended up cleaning 7 cats. The kids got a couple of rock bass. towards dark I got a few bites on shiners in shallower water. More than likely 'eyes.

I access Horseshoe, on the bay where you can go to either Cedar Island or Horseshoe. Just be careful

Dog: I always keep the cats. They make a pretty good meal. Also they are easier for the kids because you never have to worry about bones.

SWMuskeye, I was using spoons with cut bait. Dead still. They don't seem to like the movement as of late. Small minnows will also work occaisonally. Get a map of the chain and like Dog said, find the deepest hole in the bay and start at the bottom and work up. Watch your electronics for suspended fish. There are several "holes" in the chain that will produce from what I hear. Stop at SouthSide Bait on 23 and ask them where they are biting and stay away from large groups and you will probably do better.
Good Luck.

I ended up getting around 10. The biggest one that I had was the one that Mr.Pike1 said weighted 6.8#. I personall thought it was a pound or too more but oh well. It was a great day to get out. Caught some fish and had a good time talking with everyone out there. It seems as though it is getting a little crowded out there with people not to familar with the area but what can you do. I think next time up I am going to have to look for a new area. The noise seems to slow the fishing down some. Mykhal and Mr.Pike1 nice units, I am going to have to consider getting one of them after trying your out and then coming back to my fl-8.
Nice meeting you too Chemist. This weekend I might be up for getting out. Is anyone else thinking they might be willing to go?
A

I am going to be doing some sheet rocking for my office area downstairs and will not be able to get out on Saturday. Give me a report on the bite...I have yet to lite it up with the cats. Oh I get a few hear and there but Mykal and Alphid seem to have the cat magic. To my horror I seem to have the rock bass magic going on with my poles as I got about 6 of them last time out

Heh Chemist, was out on the chain putting some miles on the sled today. Might be tough getting around on an ATV due to the snow. Saw a few trucks navigating. Make sure you have your shovels packed. SEA YA the Chain Dog

I'm in. let's plan on Saturday morning afternoon. I might have plans with the Mrs. on Saturday night.

Mr Pike, that office room shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to sheet rock! LOL. Plenty of time to get out for some fishing tme.

Mykal, If I was a skilled sheet rocker you might be correct..In my case it could be hours

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 02-06-2003).]

Will be up on the chain at a friend's cabin for the weekend. He just bought the cabin this year and we have never fished through the ice up there. I know it has been quite cold this winter but just wanted some advise on ice conditions. Do the currents or possible springs effect the ice much, what can we expect? Just want to be safe since it is an unfamiliar lake to us. Thanks for your help!

Maher

Maher, my advice is not to drive out if you don't know the lake. Get to know the area you are fishing first. Maybe ask at SouthSide Bait. If you insist, try and follow a path that someone else has forged before you. Presumably from someone that knows the area you are fishing. I am not familiar with the whole chain, so I couldn't tell you where you should and shouldn't drive. The lake had a good 20+ inches last weekend, but there is current in certain sections, including open water. I have never driven on the lake.

I will go with Mykal on this one. Although I do drive on the lake, I also got to see what the ice looked like before the snow fall. And have fished the chain for a few years now. Horseshoe does have a open spot(we call the Meth Hole. If you are dead set on driving out don't venture too far off of previously driven paths. Last weekend I actually got out and walked over a hundred yards to survey the area that I was looking to drive to(little snow). Be careful. And whatever you do go slow

Just thought I would let you guys know that you are a topic of discussion in the Red River forum. I grew up by the Red and now live in St. Cloud so I can understand why they are talking about you. YOUR CATS ARE BITING IN THE WINTER! I have never caught one through the ice but man am I interested in trying. Anybody out there eating them? I heard they tast much better in the cold water, is that true? Good luck and maybe someday I will see you on the ice!

I just sent a few filets home w/ my boss. He's an Iowegian. I grew up on bullheads so when I started to get cats(initially on Rice) I was delighted because of the size. Now over the past few years I have been fishing the chain and getting them and loving every minute of it. I may get teased for this but I will eat it before any other fish. I can't attest for the taste between warm/cold water but they are good eating.

Key to a good cat is leave the belly meat behind. This is where the muddy taste comes from.

Maher / Chemist: Be very careful if you plan on driving. The ice is heaving on the chain in a lot of different areas and I haven't seen that happen on this body of water before. A buddy of mine indicated a open spot in the narrow between Schneider and great northern known as Sandy Beach a few days ago. This is generally a safe spot on a normal year. Also the river channel around the 22 bridge area froze in a very different way this year. Locals are talking about a "strange freeze" this year. If you don't know the chain certainly stay on the beaten trail with a vehicle. Good Luck!

Chain Dog: I'm out of fishing commision until the Little fisherman comes. Once he arrives then I will be allowed back out. Last weekend almost was a no go, but with some arranging I was able to go because I was taking the boys. I think the next time I go it will be March and it will be by foot more than likely. I have been sticking to Horseshoe alone.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

To all who venture on the chain who are unfamiliar with its waters be carefull.If you venture out on any of these lakes stay on the beaten path. The trail you will follow has been most likely made by locals like me who know the water. When you reach your desired location just park off of the trail and go the rest by foot. There are alot of thin spots on HORSHOE. The trails will take you to the local hotspots anyway.Always remember the chain is a river system so it always has moving water so it is very unpredictable all year.

Ice Hawk, You have been silent for some time now. Venturing away from your home waters to the north to the unproductive waters. Although the early Hawk gets the worm, I hear the late Hawk got the fish. Have you ventured out this week? Thought about trying for some eyes, possibly out from the millionaire's old haunt. Up for it?

you guys are great, eat all the cats the law will let you, please! sure fun to catch. GOOD LUCK

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Chain dog I plan on attacking the chain today most likely will be hitting one of my spots for sunfish first, then would be interested in jerking a few walleyes in the afternoon. Shoot me a email at [email protected].

Ice Hawk: Sorry I did not get your message until now. I got caught up in stuff around the house. You'll have to let me know how the bite was if you ended up making it out. Catch you next time!

Chem, Alphid, Mr Pike 1, Catch'Whopper, missed you guys on Saturday. The wind was blowing a bit, but not too bad. Have a little snow on the ice too.
The report for Saturday was total suprise. NO CATS. I checked with another guy in the area too and notta one. The goodnews is the Walleye and Crappie are now biting. I started in 35 feet early in the day and all I caught was a few large rockies and one 12 inch Walleye. Later in the afternoon I moved to 40 feet and found a few more small Walleye but more importantly I found the Crappie. I caught about 10 and missed about 25. I had a little heavier gear down, expecting cats, which didn't help the catching ratio on the Crappie. I finally switched to all crappie gear and turned the misses into a few nice fish. The biggest measuring a plump 12". Most were in the 8-10 inch range. They were close to the bottom. It was 2 below when I left, I assume the Cats just went deeper and layed low, or moved out. Weird, I have never gone out there and not had at least a few Cats bite. Anyone else find the Cats this weekend?
jlm, I couldn't find the thread. Is it on this site? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 02-09-2003).]

Well I just landed a 6lb. 5oz.er. Yep I'll be out fishing again before the end of the month it looks like. Nathaniel Benjamin was born at 9:17 this evening. Heck I barely got home from work and had to take the wife to the hospital.

So Mykal I may just make it out there before the ice leaves for another 8 months.