• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Get Ready Lets go Ice Fishing

TackleBoxMike

I'm new to the post and have enjoyed the reading Thank you Everyone. Well it's time to post a message.<P>Last Year in Feburary some work buddies and me planned a ice fishing trip of course it was all last minute planning. It was my frist time ice fishing at lake of the woods so I didn't know what to expect. We all told stories of metro area ice fishing trips and the stories were great. We all went on bragging about who was the best fisherman out of all of us. I had opened up a can of worms when I spoke up and told these guys let go to LOW, and find out who the best fisherman truely is. Well they accepted the challenge and we had a great trip. <P>We are wanting to plan another trip. We could possibly be going the frist weekend in December. We'd pile in a R.V. and pull up some snowmoblies and portable fishouses. But is the ice safe that early ??? or should we wait until the new year weekend and line up a sleeper fishouse??? When is the fishing at it's best???<P>Let's keep our hooks sharp! <BR>TackleBoxMike <P>

Here, as with most places I know of, the best fishing is early ice and late ice. The first weekend in December may or may not happen. Your best bet is to monitor this forum and check with the resorts in the area.Good luck. Ol'Sneller

The last three years we have done a portable trip to the NW angle. We hit it about the second weekend of December. Last year there was 8-10 inches of ice, the year before there was 12-14.<P>

welcome mike!! i have been going up to low for 16 years ice fishing. we go up on our first trip around the 6th to 10th what ever the weekend falls on that year.we have had any where from 4 to 18 inches. i stay at adrians and stay in touch with them to see if we can drive out, or have to wheel out. the ice fishing is most of the time fantastic that time of year, you just hope the ice is too. good luck on you trip!!!

Don’t let this guy fool you all. He is just looking for an out so he doesn’t take another beating like last year. I am the better fisherman Mike! Be it portables or sleeper again will still out fish you. LOL Just get the date set and let’s go.<P>Walleyejon you got any input on the ice fishing?<P>Dan icefishing.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys and I'll keep tabs on low for ice thickness.<BR> <BR>Alright fisherdan, I remember unloading the gear into the fish house and while you guys were deciding which hole you guys were going to use I had my line in the hole already and also my rattle real never stopped ratteling. I had the first walleye before you guys even got your lines wet. lol. Fisherdan is the eelpout king, he makes the best smoked eelpout. I think he's the one who caught the most eelpout last year. haha Danny were going to have a kickass time this year and then we'll see who is the best fisherman. Be prepared to get your butt kicked in fishing even though you caught the biggest I still caught the first one while you guys were bickering over the holes.<P><BR>Thanks again for all the responses and if anyone has anymore ice info. to share please do, thanks again.<P>TackleBoxMike<BR>

Jon<BR>You got to love a challenge and what’s a little cold got to do with anything when it comes to fishing a great lake like LOW. LOL We did go last year middle of February. The weather was great and the fish were biting. We stayed in Schuster’s 6-man sleeper. It was great other then a ventilation problem at night. Solved that by cracking a couple of windows.<P>Yeah I would need a bit more then 4 inches of ice too. As Mike stated before he is the first to get a line in so we thought we would just follow him out on the snowmobiles. Like a quarter mile behind I would think would be safe. LOL (he’s a big boy)<P>I’ll let you know when we are going up and what the plan is. I’ll have that beer waiting for you. If I can figure out how to keep it cold. <BR>Whats up with them Catfish pictures?<P>Dan icefishing.gif <BR>

Well Dan, <BR>If you really want to seperate the men from the boys, go towards the end of January with portables, snowmobiles, hand augers, and no electronics. I'll wait in a nice, warm resort rental, and judge the catches of those who survive. <BR>Seriously, the early ice is definately an opportunity to catch quantity, and quality fish. The only drawback is timing it so you get here when the ice is safe, which early in the season, varies by several weeks. "Safe ice", also differs from person to person. I know people who are comfortable walking out on very little ice (4 inches or less), setting up next to open water, and fishing....I am not one of these people. I normally wait for a few days or a week or so after people have been going out consistantly to head up, and the fishing is still outstanding. Let me know when you're headed up, and I'll try and hook up with ya.<P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

Well, this talk about ice fishing got me all fired up for some hard water, so last night, after golf, on one of the warmest days we've seen this year, I had to go out to the shed and fire up the sled. Ohhh did she sound ready to fish. I glanced over at the boat while I was revving the throttle, and I swear the old Crestliner was in tears. I had to go reassure the old gal I wasn't done with her for the year yet, and promised to take her out a few more times starting this weekend...... I hope she doesn't hold a grudge.<P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

Yes,Lets talk ice fishing. I'm going to be pulling out the fishouse this weekend and checking it over to see if it needs any maintenance. I'm hoping to get my dad and brothers together for the big event. I'll be giving my brother a hand pulling his fishouse out. My dad will be wondering and talking about what lake we might put the fishouse on this year? I have nice 7'ft. x 10'ft fishouse built on a trailer that a couple of welders put together where the wheels will retact up under the seats inside the fishouse. I've been heating the fishouse with a wood stove it heats the house up to a nice temperture were you can peal down to a tee shirt. The wood smells good and it's nice to watch the fire, if the bobbers are not being pulled down by fish. I've also cooked up a few hotdogs in the wood stove. A good hotdog and a soda can hit the spot. It's been my cabin on many diffrent lakes. After pulling the fishouse out and cleaning it up. Its been cool checking though last years calender hanging form the wall and seeing what's been writen down as far as whats been cought, missed or released. sunnys, crappies, walleye, and northern etc. that my frinds, brother or me have marked in the calender. Again it's realy nice to look back at all the fun we've had ice fishing. Im pumped up for this years ice fishing.<P>The only ice I can find is in the freezer.LoL<P>Mike <P>[This message has been edited by TackleBoxMike (edited 10-07-2004).]<p>[This message has been edited by TackleBoxMike (edited 10-07-2004).]

Danny,<BR> The planning of the Lake of the Woods trip is in progress. I have resort information being sent to me about ice fishing / sleeper houses from the dept. of tourism.<P>If anybody has information on a great place to stay in a sleeper fishouse please share ?

Check out Gibbins Ice Fishing on the resort locator. He has the fabulous houses with kitchenette stoves, pots, pans - the whole works. They even have sinks with plumbed drains! Very comfy and price right too.<P>I have been staying in their sleepers for the last 2 years and have been very satisfied.<P>------------------<BR>The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!<P>I.B.O.T. # 144<BR>Boundry Waters Chapter

Here ya go -<P>Gibbins Ice Fishing - (218) 634-2653<BR>Bryant Wilson<BR>1036 Winter Dr. NW Baudette, MN 56623 <P>------------------<BR>The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!<P>I.B.O.T. # 144<BR>Boundry Waters Chapter