• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In the River?

Im comming up next Wensday to fish the river up by Adrians. Any reports on the fish, and if there up that far yet? I herd the shinners are that far. Any info would be great!!

Only Ice: I was up last weekend and the shiners are starting to enter the river. Brian has a lift net with a light over it for night gathering, and he was getting a few. Probably by the time you are there, they should be running strong. I plan to be up around the 6th of October, and the fishing on the river should be fantastic... Check with Rudy, at Adrian's in the morning, before he goes out, and he'll let you know where it's happening..... Kaz

Kaz<BR>I'm going to be fishing in the GNWC National Tournament on Oct. 6, 7, & 8. I only have one day to prefish....and I have never been on the lake nor fished in the river....we put in at Wheeler's Point...any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. (I know I should hire a guide, but my teachers salary makes this hard to do!)

You don't need a guide........<P>Get a gold jig, a shinner, and an anchor.......Use 1/16th of a gallon of gas and motor to the grass just accross the access........drop anchor, hook shinner to gold jig...........and catch fish........in about 16 feet of water.......

Crawler: Big has kinda over simplified the task, but you defiantly want to be in Four Mile bay and the Rainy River. I would be sure to get some of the river shiners, try Adrian's for them, they should have plenty of them by then. There are many deep holes by the weed beds along the old river channel on the way out to the Gap, entrance to the big lake. Also there are many sheltered bays up river from the landing. On your drive out to Wheelers Point, check out some of the back waters off Hwy 172. The best colors last time up were, gold, white and a clown, multi colors red yellow purple etc. I also plan to be up during that period of time, so give a call on channel 82, I answer to "Kaz". I do frequent Riverbend ands Adrian's most evenings. My place is across from LOTW Taxidermy, if the white Denali is in the drive, stop in and say HI... Good luck in the contest... Kaz

I know everyone says the river is the place to be..and I live on the river!!... but I have been having good luck outside and just can't give it up yet..just got back 1 hour ago from downrigging about 5 miles north of Long Point in 34 ft....had no trouble catching my limit of nice walleyes using a #5 blue/orange rapala deeprunner. My partner caught his using a #5 white-jointed deeprunner. We kept them 2 ft. off bottom and trolled at 2.5 mph. A little windy early but calmed a bit by 2:00 when we were done. Two and three days ago we did the same thing in 32 ft. of water. Before that it was a bonanza just east of Gull Rock in 30-34ft. Using the same lures every day. On an average our fish outside the river were bigger. Most of our fish were not 'dinks'..released 3 over 21". I live on Rainy River near Silver Creek and the walleyes are not there in numbers yet. Soon, I hope. From Adrians to the bay, if you like live bait, you will catch lots of fish..if you like bigger fish, and don't mind the slower action, then downrig outside around some structure.

Baja: I agree that as on right now the riggin is the way to go, however I did fill Sunday morning in 17 FOW NW of the green bouy in the Bay with several other boats. Saturday we were in 33/35 FOW 330 degrees out from the Gap and had a good walleye dinner that night. I would still advise the river to may be more productive in 3 weeks from now if the shiners do their spawning run as they seem to be. I guess that's why they call it "Fishing" and not "Catching" LOL... Kaz

Thanks for the info! I will check this form on Monday. If you could bring me up to date then, That would be great!

It's 8:00 Friday morning and looks like a cool/wet one today. (Darn it..perfect for honker/greenhead hunting up where I should be...northern Saskatchewan; but waiting on my compadre for a few days more.) Solo today so taking Kodak, our choc. Lab pup, along for the experience..and some 'walleye pointing' training. Will be snap-weight downrigging out of the Gap and checking river fishermen results passing through from ramp. I'll post results and particulars for the next few days. I am primarily a saltwater fisherman (Baja for 30 years), but I hope our experiences help whoever may be interested. Tight lines.

Fisky, I'm thinking of possibly heading up that way on Sunday to go after some C&R Sturgeon. I've never fished for Sturgeon in the Fall, Where's the best location to start looking? Is it the same as spring or totally different?<P>If you go Saturday, let me know how it went.<BR>Thanks, Good luck....<P>------------------<BR>CatMan

I've heard from some friends in Baudette that there have been some nice Sturgeon C&R'd this past week. Supposed to be a half decent Walleye bite early and late on the lower river as well. I'm gonna take a break from the Cattin' one day this weekend for some relaxing Sturgeon fishing, with hopefully a Walleye or 2 thrown in the mix for the fryer. Anyone else gonna be on the water out that way this weekend?<P>Regards....fiskyknut

I fished out in the Gap on Saturday. There was definately more action in the am and pm, with very few walleyes caught between 10:30 and 3:00. Caught about 30 eyes, 2 sturgeon, and a couple perch for good measure. Kept a dozen for fish fry. Adrians had freshly trapped shiners for sale, which is all we used for bait. Anchored out in the gap, and jigged away. Some boats were drifting, and trolling, but it didn't seem they were catching any more than those of us who were anchored. Weather permitting, I'll be back up this weekend. If the walleye bite stays am/pm, I'm going to try sturgeon in some of the deeper water right at the end of the river. <P>Fisky, you got a ride this weekend? I've got room if you want to hop in. <BR><P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

Hi MN fishermen,<BR>Im from Wisconsin and would like some tips on fishing LOTW. I will be fishing the GNWC tourney the begining of Oct. I have been reading the messages and it sounds like gold is the color.I was wondering if trolling cranks is worth while and if it is what colors.The river and gap seem to be the places, when is first ice thanks<BR>P.S. im a Vikings fan

Was up at LOW on Friday and Saturday and fished in the river both days. Bite seemed to turn on around 3-4:00pm each day and for some reason, caught all our fish in 11 feet of water. Caught a ton of them on a Chartruse jig with a black eye. The key seemed to be downsizing to a 1/8th as majority of the fish were small(10-15) inches and were biting like Perch. Lots of action and fun!!

Hey Crawler, Check the dates of the tourney, I think it's the 1,2, and 3 of Oct, not 6,7, & 8... Call Kevin at Wigwom to be sure. I tossed the Baudette paper already, but I think it's earlier than you posted above... Kaz

Kaz,<P>The Wigwam event is Oct 1 and 2. There is<BR>another one the next weekend. That is the<BR>one these guys are talking about. (Hi Kaz)<P>Edge.<BR>It is turning into a trolling world. You <BR>could do well pulling cranks but it is an<BR>anchor/jig bite and you need to do both. The<BR>drift/jig wont do it, the drift/spinner<BR>wont do it, the drift/lindy rig wont either.<P>We are fishing the Wigwam Northstar Classic<BR>the first weekend in Oct and will be trolling<BR>at least some of the time. But we will have<BR>at least 2 anchors and many jigs along at <BR>all times.<P>Good luck<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Curt, it must be nice to take a ride in the new Ranger. Have you been in his boat yet?

Thanks CURT, <BR>We are coming up saturday oct 2nd. any advice on what size jigs to use? also the message board said the shiners are running a month early,do they stay in the river very long and do you follow them or do they just hang around in the river? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

edge hope you got the bigguns. Above the rapids at birchdale seems like the spot for them. First ice is usualy Thanksgiving. Try Randalls or one of the other resorts on Bostic Creek. Fish the Morris Point gap area.