• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain of Lakes Part#2

Lets continue to post here, less time to load all those old posts. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Skeets (edited 02-03-2001).]

Hey all,
Well, looks like tomorrow I am going to give Cedar Island a try. This will be my first time on that part of the lake during the winter. I have fished Horseshoe for cats...yes cats...I know I'm weird, but I love the way they fight!!
Anyway, looking at the other posts regarding Cedar Island, it seems like it has been pretty slow. Any tips on where to try?
If anyone can put me on fish tomorrow, I'll be glad to return the favor with some guided Pike/Muskie action on Mille Lacs this summer.
If you don't want to post directly on here, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks,
GullGuide
>"////=<

------------------
Gull Guide Service
http://fishnduckguides.com/gullguide7.htm

Well, fished Cedar Island last night, and man was it crappy....hehehe
But seriously, we did manage to catch a few really small ones and one cat. The fish were down there, could see them on the flasher, but they would just come up, look at it and swim away. I tried every color, every shade of glow, waxies, eurolarve and minnows and nothing seemed to turn them on. I guess we shouldve taken it as a sign when there was only one truck out in a pack of about 30 houses.
Anyways,
Good luck and remember....open water is only 3 months away!
GullGuide
>"////=<

I went out horseshoe this morning, the first time I've been there. Channel cats were our main objective from the start. My buddy and his dad stayed tasty in the portable all day with the vexilar, and I froze outside without electronics. I got two fat rock bass all day long, while my comrades totaled five cats from 2 to 5 pounds, and nine crappies averaging 3/4 lb. They said the fish were really finicky and you had to entice them to strike, using light fluorocarbon,a glow teardrop and a crappie minnow. Without the vex, they would have done considerably worse. I need one bad! Anyway, I was really impressed with the fishery out there and plan on targeting it some more this winter. The locals were freindly, and the fishing superb. Anyone with any advice about getting on the bite on horseshoe for cats or crappies, or how to get those finicky ones to hit, please help me out a bit. Thanks.

~goblin

I fished Cedar Island on Saturday & Sunday evenings this weekend. The fishing was pretty good. I was using one of my buddies houses and picked up some pretty nice slabs. They were finicky that Saturday night and certainly didn't take the usual bait. Anyway, as anyone who was out last night knows, they are picking some fish up West of the Rock Pile. There is more and more water showing up on the lake and with all the snow out there it can be tough to get around. If you have not been out to your house for awhile, you may want to check it. I had to jack up two houses last week do to the water on the ice. I would imagine with the warm temps today it will only get worse. Oh, as far as Cats, I got 4 last week trying a spot for walleye. I was in 14ft of water North of the Small Island.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I fished Horseshoe yesterday afternoon and picked up a few walleye, nothing to brag about. I tried the late bite on Cedar Island for crappies and that wasn't to bad. I fished from 7:30-9 and picked up 11, the size was excellent. The fish were biting very lite and I missed more than I caught but it was fun. Just a little side note. I always said I would never do this but I was setting up a new house yesterday and after drilling all the holes I stepped in my own hole. I had the 9 inch blade on so guess what, wet leg.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Well, I finally got out to Cedar Island this last weekend, and what a trip! I went to the spot you recommended about a month ago, Scott, and was sitting right on a school of nice-sized crappie. I'm still fishing lo-tech (sans Vexilar), but by playing around in the water column a little I managed to find a nice, steady bite in about 25 feet of water. The question I have is, though: Is it typical to find crappie suspending 10-15 feet off of the bottom? Normally, in my limited experience, I hadn't usually fished crappie more than 4-6' up in water less than 30'. Anyway, I kept a half dozen between 10-11", and let go literally dozens more. I'll be trying again this weekend. P.S.-Scott, what would you recommend for walleye action on the lake this weekend? Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by ScottS:

They were finicky that Saturday night and certainly didn't take the usual bait. Anyway, as anyone who was out last night knows, they are picking some fish up West of the Rock Pile.

Scott, I was out tonight from 3:30 until about 8:00 in an area by myself. I picked up fish on the vex pretty much the whole time. The majority of the fish were near the bottom (24'). There were also suspended fish passing through every now and then. I could get them to come off the bottom and take a look, but none would take. I tried everything I could think of. Switching baits, to minnow size, to wax worms.... Any suggestions?

I'm going to the same area tomorrow night. Hopefully the weather system passing through tomorrow will change things.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 02-06-2001).]

Cedar Island has crappies representing many different years in it. The crappies that you see near the bottom in 25-32 ft of water are generally small fish . Generally, they are pretty willing to bite at dark. Fitchwolf, yes it is very common for crappies to suspend off the bottom over deeper water, in fact, those are the only crappies I fish this time of year. They are the big slabs. If you target these fish, you WILL get the bigger fish. Without giving away all my secrets I will leave it at that. As far as for Flyfishings post, vary your depths. Just because you are seeing fish on your vexilar, doesn't mean you are seeing the biting fish. The biting fish often are not on your screen until there is something there for them to eat. Try different depths and get some small minnows and you will get crappies. Now that I have said that, please put some back for others to enjoy. The Chain gets tremendous fishing pressure year around. Personally, I have not kept a crappie for about 3 weeks. I had four fish this week that were 13" plus. Those will be some real nice slabs next year if they make it.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Thanks for the response. I figured that some of the fish on the bottom were smaller fish. I tried very small minnows as well as wax worms. I have found out that the suspended fish are more likely to be up and feeding or larger fish and more likely to bite. If I would put the bait slightly above the suspended ones, they would move up and look, but they wouldn't take it. It was very frustrating. I agree with you on keeping fish. Three times this year I have taken home six crappies. (just enough for two) The rest of the time I have released them. Maybe the fish won't laugh at me tonight.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 02-07-2001).]

I was out last night and it was pretty quiet out there also. The traffic was pretty minimal. The fishing remains pretty good. I was fishing for Bluegill last night and caught quite a few. Caught a few bonus crappies but nothing real nice. The winter is coming to an end fast, couple weeks, portables only and fast action.

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Scott -

I know I ask a lot of questions, hope I'm not comming back to the well too often. Where are you catching the 'gills? I've been driving all the way to Minnewaska to fish them, but would like to stay closer to home. Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

Ishmel*
how big are the sunnies on minnewaska? i was
over there about a month ago. caught a lot of them but none were really big. most were keeper size if you really wanted sunfish but no bigger than that. one nice thing about minnewaska is that there are roads plowed out onto the lake. thanks for any info.

------------------
Roop-Dogg

sorry about the dupliation above. i was getting errors and didnt know the first post went thru. sorry gang

------------------
Roop-Dogg

They're around keeper size, but you're right, you really have to want sunfish. I've been fishing the north end of the lake by the ballroom, along with everyone else. I've had a little better luck catching big ones at the edges of the crowd and a little higher up. Plan hook with a waxworm.

Scott, What's your email address.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottS:

Ishmel-If you want to email me I will tell you where my house is. I do not know if they are biting anymore because I have not fished the Chain since last Wed or Thurs, but they were biting then.ScottS

Hello all...

I've been out on other lakes and haven't been on the Chain in a week or two. I'm probably heading out there this afternoon. Just wondering how the action has been lately.....

I am heading out to horseshoe this weekend. I have fished it in the summer but never in the winter. We are after catfish. Any tips would be helpfull. I have read to fish the deepest hole but have never caught cats through the ice. Thanks

Brandon,
You'll have a blast, cats fight great through the ice. Try using a plain leadhead jig, preferably glow-in-the-dark, and if you can find any, get some shiners and cut a fillet off the side, the bloodier the better. Stick the cutbait on the jig and go to work. Use your locator to find the fish, they can be anywhere in the water column. Don't be afraid to try shallow either, the cats will relate to where the bluegills and crappie are...gills are a cats favorite food.
If jigging does not work, try just a plain hook with the head or fillet from the shiner- dont jig it, just let it sit and watch your rod. Best time is just before dark.
Good Luck,
GullGuide
>"////=<

Well bring your 4 wheel drive. There is a lot of snow on the Chain. I was able to get around with 4 wheel drive, but you need it for sure. By the weekend there will be some pretty good roads I am sure. One of the best places for Cats is North of the smallest island on Cedar Island. I would look for 12-14 ft just before it drops down to 30ft. There are always cats there if you can find them.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

With the nice weekend we had I am sure there are going to be lots of reports coming in. I fished Cedar Island saturday night for an hour and the action was pretty slow (for the big ones atleast). I was fishing for Bluegill and the big ones were not cooperating. I caught quite a few little ones but the big ones did not want to commit. They are up in the shallow water but not ready to bite. It won't be long now. The crappie bite has been steady but slow most report. I will be heading to an old hot spot one night this week. I will let you know how the slabs are biting after that.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

ScottS---Do you ever fish any lakes in the St. Augusta, Clearwater area? I know there are a lot of small lakes around that area and was wondering if any of them are producing any crappies or sunnies. Like Sugar, Limestone, Ember,Sylvia,any info would be great. Thanks. Rabbatz

Russ & Judy- I do not get over that way very much. I am going to this year for sure. I primarily fish West of St. Cloud. If my memory serves me right, I fished Sylvia one time and did pretty well. I will be fishing all the lakes in our area this year, and I should have some pretty good reports for you come open water. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]