• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain of Lakes

I was out several times this weekend. There is about 4 inches of ice on Horseshoe lake. I picked up 4 nice walleye on Sunday AM and then fished crappies in the evening. I had 10 nice crappies and 1 walleye. Overall it was a pretty good bite. Cedar Island has about 3 inches of ice. The crappies are biting on Cedar Island just a little slower than on Horseshoe. Some larger houses are starting to show up on the lakes, and I did see a ATV on the ice last night near shore. Good Fishing.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruegs23

• Skeets

• Rick

• jimBo

Top Posters In This Topic

I will reply to my own post I guess. I was out on Cedar Island last night. I was fishing crappies. I Had great action, but the size structure was only fair. The average fish was just under 1/2 pound. Not the real slabs I was getting earlier this year. The ice seems to be holding at that 4 inch stage, that last snow is not helping. Anyone else been out lately? How is the ice in your area, lets here it.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I fished island lake last sunday and managed a few crappies. Nothing to brag about though. There was about 6 inches of ice out there, so it's coming along pretty good. Tonight I'm heading out to Brigg's lake to try for soem eyes.

SCOTTS: Glad to hear that there is some ice out there. I'm thinking about trying Minnewaska or Briggs this weekend. Have you heard anything about ice this week?

Big Fish Lake 60% wide open yet.
The ice that is there looks pretty scarry.
I like 6-8" better that 4".

Brigg's was a bust. One little eye, and not much going through on the vexilar either. Talked to the other guys out fishing and nobody could seem to find the fish. Ice is safe though, houses prety much all over the lake already. Another cold snap and I wouldn't ber surprised to see some atv out n about.

Skeets: Tried Horseshoe tonight and ended up with 5 crappies. Didn't get out until about 6:30 though so the bite might have been done already. Very nice size though, and also very fun. Probably heading back out there on sunday.

I fished Eden tonight, VERY slow...
One crappie (small) and 11 perch (also small).
I might also try Horseshoe Sunday, I will let you know how I do.

I was out a little this weekend. The fish seem to be biting everywhere on the Horseshoe Chain. I got a nice bunch of Bluegill and Crappies. The big crappies are biting on Horseshoe and Cedar Island both. The ice is good on both lakes, but I still recommend the use of caution, it can be thin in certain areas yet. If your portable is out on the lake, I would go look for it, I noticed a bunch that had blown around already at noon today. Good Fishin.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I was out a little this weekend. The fish seem to be biting everywhere on the Horseshoe Chain. I got a nice bunch of Bluegill and Crappies. The big crappies are biting on Horseshoe and Cedar Island both. The ice is good on both lakes, but I still recommend the use of caution, it can be thin in certain areas yet. If your portable is out on the lake, I would go look for it, I noticed a bunch that had blown around already at noon today. Good Fishin.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I am not endorsing this but I did see a full size pickup drive straight across Eden Lake this AM. As far as the ice thickness, it averages about 6-7 inches now. They are running all over with ATV's and Snowmobiles. I personally would be cautious yet, especially in the channel areas and Kron's Bay. But, like I say they are driving all over with ATV's. As far as for fishing for Walleye, I would try just West of the big Island on Cedar Island, I picked up a few there. They are also getting walleye Just before you go into Krons Bay to the South, you will see the houses. Again, the fish really seem to be biting, keep the reports coming.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Fished Cedar Island tonight and caught some nice crappies. It was pretty much a steady bite all night long. Fun times!!

They are picking up a few walleye West of Crane Island (the big island) on Cedar Island. They are also getting some walleye just before the entrance to Kron's bay. I would try a Varmit Spoon-Glow or a silver pimple. Other than that it has been a little slow as far as walleye this year. Oh, and yes the crappies are still biting, Horseshoe and Cedar Island are both still good bets. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

The Horseshoe Chain remains pretty hot. The crappie bite has been pretty steady with a few walleye being caught. I was lucky enough to pick up a 29 incher on Monday night. The ice is about 12 inches on average and quite a few people are driving on the lakes now. Cedar Island and Horseshoe both are producing fish as well as Browns and Eden. Anyone else been getting any?ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

ScottS-Nice fish!!! I have been out on Cedar Island almost everynight and catching between 20 - 30 crappies a night. Just catch and release of course. Have enough fish at home. We drove out there last night in a car but i don't think i would try it in a truck yet. I'm new to fishing on the chain where would be a good spot to try for walleyes on cedar island? I've been fishing for the crappies just on the west end of an island where there are about 20 other houses. It's a good drop to 26 feet then levels out. Anywhere around there good for eyes? I need to find them . Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

ScottS, Nice Fish!!!! You caught it on 2 lb test? You the man!! How much did it weigh? Catch you later.

I will try to respond to all of the above posts in one post. Fishing Guy-I would fish where Ruegs has been fishing. The West side of the Big Island. You can not miss the houses there. Ruegs-you are in the right spot for Walleye, almost. Off the West side of the big island is a sand bar. Most of the houses are South of that bar. I have noticed a few houses on the bar and that is where you want to try for walleye. I would fish in 19 feet of water, because that is the only depth I have been able to get walleye and crappie both. I have been picking up some walleye in much shallower water, but you won't get any crappies there. Plus, the walleye are more apt to bite in deeper water than the shallows. And, to everyone who said nice fish-thanks, it was a lot of fun and I would imagine it weighed between 8.5 & 9 pounds. Keep the posts coming. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just a quick note for those of you interested. You can see a pic of ScottS walleye on the homepage here and the fishing report page for now.

http://fishingminnesota.com

Ruegs,
What access did you drive on?
Where is the Big Island? The lake is so weird shaped, it is hard to know where you are going.
I would like to try there this weekend, any info would be appreaciated. smile.gif

Skeets,
I'm not too familiar with the area, this is my first year fishing on the chain. But coming from Cold Spring on Highway 23 you take a left on Cty Rd 71 just before you get to Richmond. You go about 2 miles on 71 and there is a big curve to the left with a road that veeres straight off the curve, take this road. I'm not sure what the name of the road is. Just follow that road until you go down a steep hill and you will see trucks parked on the bottom. This is the access I have been using. You have to take a small trail that has a steep drop at the end to get on the lake so if you drive on, 4x4 would probably be the ticket. I drove on tonight and needed it!! From there you are right by the island, just head to your right from the access and you can't miss the houses, there are tons of them. I have been set up about a quarter of the way around the island and having great luck. I think anywhere along the west end is producing. Tonight we ended up with lot's of crappies, most of them hitting between 7 and 8 o'clock. I hope this information is a help to you Skeets. If not ask Scotts, I think he knows the area really well. I also wanted to ask Scotts if there is another access to the lake that would not be as steep? I don't think i could get a big fish house on from there. Thanks

Hey guys-I got some answers for you. Ruegs, there is a much better access than the one you are using. Take Hwy 23 to the River Roost, turn South on Hwy 22, take that until you come to the area where they drive onto Horseshoe lake. That is the same area you can drive onto Cedar Island. Horseshoe access is on your Right, Cedar Island is on your left. Or if you are coming from Cold Spring, you can take Hwy 71 and go past Cedar Island Lake Rd (that is where you are getting on Right now Ruegs) if you go 1 more mile you will go down a big hill and then the public access is on your Right. That is a very flat access. Make sure others are driving on from there first. Skeets the big island is very easy to find. It is by far the biggest Island on the lake and about 90% of the the fish houses are around it. I will be out all weekend, as I am staying around the area. If anyone has any specific questions you can email me today. Good Luck ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I might try there this weekend, depending upon the weather. They are talking 30 mph winds and dropping temps. We'll see.

Thanks ScottS!
I found the access and it is much nicer than the steep one i was previously using. We did drive out from it tonight the ice is pretty thick out there. The fish were slower tonight and i'm not sure if it was the amount of people fishing or the cold snap. This week is finals week for me so I ain't going to be out much this week. save a few for me!
Ruegs23

Ruegs- Don't feel bad, the bite was slow Sunday evening. However, Fri & Sat. nights were great. The mornings have been slow for me, I had several different people out this weekend and the mornings did not produce much action. The overall size of the crappies has been excellent. I had one this weekend that was just over a pound and a quarter. Most are averaging 1/2lb to 3/4lb which are nice fish for the Horseshoe Chain. Remember, keep a meal if you want, but put some back for others to enjoy. Good Fishing. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back! I came back to poor fishing reports and all this snow. The good news is that the fish are still biting they are just a little picky. If you have run into the same situation that most have been complaining about "they are down there, they just won't bite" you have to try some different techniques. My first suggestion is head for deeper water. Crappies are more apt to bite in deeper water than they are in shallow water when you are fishing in the evening under the conditions we are having right now. The second would be presentation. Now, knowing that not every fish is going to bite, focus on the ones that are more likely to bite-The ones that will follow your bait UP. Keep working the fish up, the more you can get the fish to move up, the better your odds are that he will bite. Also, don't forget about small minnows and wax worms, I do not go crappie fishing unless I have both with me. If something isn't working try something else until you can get fish to take notice. Before this gets to long I will quit, but I was out on Cedar Island last night and caught 36 crappies (kept 9 for dinner), fairly nice size and pretty steady action from 4:30-6:30. Good luck and keep the reports coming.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]