• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe Chain of Lakes

Scotts could you please give me a tip as where the crappies are biting on cedarisland, key depths lures etc. any information would be appreciated as my father in law wants to go fishing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruegs23

• Skeets

• Rick

• jimBo

Top Posters In This Topic

Crappiehunter- I will send you to the latest hotspot. The East side of the big Island off the sand bar. All sides of the bar have been good. I would look for 23-25 ft. This depth seems to be holding the most BITING fish. There seems to be fish all over, but the best bite has been at this depth. I would use any type of crappie jig tipped with a minnow on one line and a #6 plane hook with a crappie minnow on the other. If you want to try something else, an ice fly with a wax worm has been working good also. Again, the bite has slowed down a little but they are still there. Good Luck ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Ishmel-Cedar Island was pretty slow this weekend. I caught 7 on Friday and did not fish it again. From the reports it was pretty slow for most. I fish Eden and did real well. I was just to the Right of the public access. Other than Eden I have not heard of much going on.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Hey guys, anyone been fishing? I was out last night and easily caught a limit of crappies. I would say more like 25. The size was fair and they are all still alive for someone else to enjoy. It was good to hit a good bite again on Cedar Island. Still fishing in 23 ft of water. Anyone else getting any around the area? ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Scott- I have yet to fish cedar island lake, but intend to give it a shot this weekend. I moved to Paynesville this summer, and don't really know the lakes around the area that well yet. Where's the best place to drive onto the lake, and where are some good places to start looking? (Don't worry- I don't expect you to give up any secrets!)
Thanks in advance,

------------------
Happy fishin'
Fitchwolf

Was on Cedar Island last Sunday during the day and caught quite a few crappies. Drilled a bunch of holes and finally found fish in 30 feet of water. Also tried Brigg's lake Monday night and had good crappie action but fish were on the small side. Am going to try Beaver lake tomorrow night, got a tip so i need to check it out. Later.

Fitchwolf- The best access to use if coming from paynesville would be the Hwy 22 access. Take a Right off Hwy 23 onto county Rd 22 (by Caseys and The River Roost Bar) Stay on 22 until you come to the area they are driving on. You will see Horseshoe on your Right and Cedar Island on your left. They drive on the lakes at the same spots. You will want to take a Left to get onto Cedar Island. If I were going to try this weekend I would fish on the East Side of the big Island. The first Island you come to will be the small island, to the east of that is the big island. You will see all the houses on the West end of that Island, I would go the the East side. There is a bar off the South East side, look for the fish in about 25 feet of water around that bar (i would try the North side of that bar) . It should be a pretty good bite this weekend if the weather stays as they say it should. Good Luck. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Thanks again, Scott-I really appreciate the help. That's the great thing about this site-I've gotten a huge head start on my fishing in this area thanks to the information and advice that you and other anglers have been more than willing to share. Keep it up!

------------------
Happy fishin'
Fitchwolf

The crrapie bite is going steady on cedar-island lake. The fish are hitting maggots and have been relating to depths of 20 ft. The key to the bite out there has been to stay away from the crowd. The schools of fish are really moving due to the fishing pressure. Auger holes in the early afternoon until you find a pod of fish away from the groups. These fish have been active. I released many nice fish all week. Its been a blast to reel these up and release them for somebody else to enjoy.

Cedar Island is still producing a quantity of 3/4 lb. crappie. Sunday I picked up close to 25 in this range but Monday produced just 10. The crappie lit up the Vexilar like a Christmas tree for as long as I spent time on this hole. Fish were holding steady in the 15 foot range.

I haven't posted lately but the fish are still biting on Cedar Island. They are catching quite a few South of the Rock Pile or Sunken Island, whatever you want to call it. I have been doing very well in both shallow water (9ft) and deep water (28ft). Still using minnows and still getting fish. Best action has been in the evening just at dark and into the night, however, you can get them during the day also or mornings. I have found the real big slabs have been biting after dark, up to a pound. Good Fishing. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Where is the lake Ceder Island? Lately i have been fishing on Little Rock, i went last night and very slow. Is there anyone driving on that lake? There are many springs running in and out of that lake? If u were to walk is it a ways to walk? What kinds of lures have u been using/color? Where have u got most of them in deeper waters of in shallower lets say around 3-till whenever. Thanks bigshootter

Hi all,
Went out today on cedar island and caught almost 2 limits of crappie. Fish aren't quite as nice as last weekend but will suffice. Still holding tight to 15 ft. using crappie minnows and jigs which I can't disclose (my secret). Altogether fish are still biting well. I also tried next to the sunken island and the fishing report is that it's slow. Stay away from the crowded areas and you shouldn't have a problem picking up a limit.
See ya guys, fish are waiting to be cleaned.
Frantic

Hi, where is ceder island? Do u drive on it.. I hear there are many springs running throw the lake and coudl vital. I want to go out there but where is the best place to go for a first timer? Please help. And what have we been using for lures and bait. Have we been jigging or bobber fishing? please help out i am in need of help.. and a slaughtering finally? thanks and good fishing

Obviously you have access to the internet. Get on the MN DNR sight and do a little research and you may come up with a locatioin for as well as a lake map for Cedar Island. Once you get there as a first timer do as most do start by looking at the map and the location of the fish houses on the lake take the bits and pieces of info you got through this forum and go to work with the auger and rod. It should not take you very long to find fish. Yes, you can drive on the lake. As with venturing out on any unfamiliar lake stick to the well traveled roads until you figure the lake out. Good luck fishing and remember no matter how much info you gather Jigs, bait, technique, etc... no one can catch the fish but you and they may not always cooperate thats why it is called fishing not taking.

Hey guys-I was out fishing all weekend. Took a 1 day trip up to Park Rapids looking for the big bulls. It was a long day but the end results were good. As far as the action around home, I fished late Saturday night and Sunday evening. The fish are still biting and still averaging over 1/2 pound. I have moved into shallower water for Bluegill but am still picking up a lot of crappies. South of the Rock Pile is still hot, I have friends that are fishing there that caught and released over 80 crappies this weekend. However, the houses are really piling up over there. Don't be afraid to try a new spot away from the pack. I have not fished by another person this year and I really believe that it pays off. Just remember, keep a meal if you wish, but put the rest back to enjoy in the future.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I was out on Cedar both on Friday and Sat. I fished away from the crowd also. I don't know if I did as good as others, but I caught between 4 and 6 an hour, most of them 10 inches or better. I didn't seem to matter what depth of what jig I had on, they didn't speed up or slow down either way.

Ishmel* where did u go on the lake. I have never been there but i tend to later this week or next. But how many access's r there on that lake. And where did u fish 4-6 an hour thats pretty good nothing bad with that result. How many crappies did u end up with all together after your day was done? What colro hook seems to be hot? big

Big- If you read the posts above you will notice I have outlined where all the accesses are for Cedar Island Lake. Also, the same things that were working before are still working now, just read the previous posts.ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

Just wondering how the Chain was this weekend? I was up North for a few days. I had several good bites before I left. Fish are still nice size. Just wondering how the weekend was, I haven't heard any reports yet. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

I didn't get out this weekend either, but my brother-in-law said he had good luck last night. He said the bite was the same as always, not real fast, but consistant. How were things up north?

Ishmel- I just got your post this AM. Yes, I made it out yesterday evening. I was fishing Bluegill though. I had 17 keepers, which I will be frying up tonight for supper. I had about 6 crappies that I released, just average size. The bite was pretty good last night, I am sure this front moving in really helped. The fish were fairly aggressive compared to other days. How did everyone else do? Oh, the fishing was excellent up North. I was fishing near Park Rapids and the big bulls were biting pretty good. I also iced a few Northern on tip-ups with the biggest being 9 pounds. It was a real fun trip, nothing like trying new lakes for the first time. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
[email protected]

So you're after the sunnies? I'm planning on spending Friday on Minnewaska over in Glenwood looking for those little guys. The crappie action has been so slow, I just want to see my bobber go down.

Have you ever tried those glow sticks for sunnies or crappies? If you have, did they work?

Ishmel,
I first used the glowsticks on a tripo up to upper red and they outfished the the guys without a glowstick. But around here i have not seen much of a difference. Sometimes it even seems the fish ignore the glowstick, or I came to believe that the crappies around here just aren't big enough for the glowsticks. That's just my experience. They are definetly a good addition to your tackle box!!

Ruegs23,

Well, I put a few in there anyway, thought I'd give them a try. My wife has banned me from mills until spring thaw, so I hope they don't work too good! (I guess I could try Gander Mtn). Have you ever tried them on a tip up? I wonder if they would attract the northerns...