• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody have any luck with duck hunting in Ottertail county?

We didn't see hardly any ducks flying and only got a few on our traditional hot spots.

Yep, thank all that rain we got. I still couldn't believe all the stinging sensations I got in the blind, only to find all the skeeters were chowing down! We haven't had skeeters like this all summer!

Hope the frost hits tonight!!! grin.gif

I have observed LOTS of ducks in areas up until the area received over 8" of rain last week. Then I noticed the birds had dispersed into the puddle infested fields like Gissert said. They are loading up on food, and it's easy pickins for the puddle ducks.

I had a good morning yesterday. Wild rice was the key IMO. wink.gif

There are a lot of poor reports from the area. The warm blue bird weather did not help...

Our party had a slow go of it. The geese kept things pretty fun though! Ducks were very few and far between as well as the fish. The weather was not on our side for birds. Hopefully in a few weeks or so it'll pick up.

We hunted near Vining. What a bust.
Worst opening day ever for us.

Yesterday the geese saved the day. We limited on geese, and got the ONLY duck that came into the dekes. We had one duck come in yesterday. Unreal.
There were just no ducks in the area.

I have seen a lot of geese lately. Glad Monday was better for ya. You still had fun at the Sportsman's to really save the week. LOL

Not exactly "saved" the week, but I would say it "added" to the week.... grin.gif

well it sounds like i'm not the only one who had poor shooting with the ducks over opener. we too had our limit of geese on sunday morning with five hunters. could've had an early season limit of 25 if the limit didn't change.

the mosquitoes forced me out of the bow stand last friday night. first time ever!

ChuckN...I am a regular when I'm up their hunting or fishing. My buddy has a place on Clitherall. We head to the Sportsman to drown our sorrows after a poor day in the field. That's a great place now. Way better that Bonnie & Clyde's!

Cripes! It sounds like the Sportsmans is the FM hangout. I guess I better start venturing farther than the Underwood Legion, LOL.

Slabber, I probably have seen you around. I spend a fair amount of time in there, and I occassionally tend the bar too. smile.gif

I've tried to tell ya Gissert. LOL The legion is a nice place. It's the place where everybody knows your name! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You guys talking about the Sportsman's bar make me laugh. I spend my fair share of time there also, when I'm home at my folks' (Clitherall Lake). Tim and Carolyn (the owners) are just fantastic people. It's amazing what they've turned that place into. For years and years nobody ever went in there, now it's a hot spot. If any of you have run into a white-bearded guy named Lloyd that frequents the joint quite a bit, he is my Dad. Tim is also very active in the community, so please give him your business. Bonnie & Clydes has also turned it up and is a fun place to go. It's convenient to walk across the street and support both places.

Yeah, it's a lot more fun now than it used to be that's for sure. I remember going in there way back when and being the only group of people in there. One time there was just one old dude just sitting there playing the spoons. Now that's entertainment! Has anyone noticed more birds coming into the area?

You're Lloyd's son!?! What a small world! I know you're dad quite well, he is the life of every party. grin.gif

For the duck report, weather's been too nice and not much bird movement. I did see several birds (divers too) south of Ashby yesterday. Go west, get away from the lakes region and I suspect much more for birds. I'm ready to drive south and west Saturday morning, if BLB can figure out his stuff. smile.gif

There are guys around that area that frequent this site
They have a lot of information about what is going on in that area.
Sounds like the divers aren't down yet, the puddle ducks are hit-n-miss and the fish are going crazy but the trouble is giving up hunting for fishign:-)
Sounds like they are seeing a few pheasants south and west of Fergus.... has been talking about it all and not only that, since the sugarbeet harvest is at a standstill it could make for an intersting fall. As for the Underwood Legion, I live only 4 miles from there, stop in and vistit I'll send you in the right direction!

Just a little edit birddog, no links please.

[This message has been edited by ChuckN (edited 10-07-2004).]

ChuckN. Yes, I'm Lloyd's son Mark (nickname Parker). I think Lloyd's energy level actually increased after retirement rather than decrease. Right now he's in Colorado Elk hunting. Later this month he's going bow hunting for deer in Camp Ripley, then gun deer hunting locally in November. Oh, he spent a week in Ely in September bear hunting also. 4 guys got 2 bears. Lloyd didn't get one. At dusk he had one in his bait, but he couldn't make a decent shot so he let it go. The last thing he wanted was to chase a wounded bear at night. Hopefully I'll run into you at the Sportsman's one night. I'll be the good looking one next to Santa Claus.

Duck and goose hunting is still poor. Too many crops still up, too much standing water, and too warm weather. My sister lives outside of Battle Lake and usually has geese fly over every night in the fall. So far they haven't started flying their usual route. We need some serious cold nights and cool days.

Boy, Lloyd sure is enjoying life, no wonder I haven't seen him around much. smile.gif

I live right to the east of your sister. I'm on the east side of that pond. The geese have not been too active, for sure. I used to be able to clock their activity the last couple years, not this year.

Chuck, I'm coming home the 22nd for the weekend. I check in pretty much daily with my sister to see how the geese are doing. If you're going to be around maybe we could compare notes a few days before (if you are a goose hunter) and discuss a plan of action. Plus maybe go have a cold one at Tim's. I'd like to meet you.

Welcome waterrat!

Sounds like a great hunt!

I shot 2 drake woodies on Saturday, missed a teal flying with a drake woodie. Lots of mallards were around, but tough to decoy with dead calm winds and bluebird skies. I never made it out Sunday, sounds like it was much better too.

Has anyone been to Christina lately?? Any reports?

ChuckN -

I drove around the east side of Christina about noon today.

Not much going on.

I saw a few geese in the air this afternoon while chopping corn.

Hopefully, the BIL will get that bean stubble chisel plowed while we are gone so the geese will start working that field I told you about.

Hey Everyone,

I just figured I post since everyone is talk ing about clitherall area. I frequent that area every weekend spring, summer and fall. We have family all over. Our place is south of clitherall lake. Don't frequent Sportsmans but do go to the Purple Palace in Vining. Our hunting has been fair this year. On opening weekend we shot 4 ducks saturday, and 24 ducks and 8 geese on sunday for 5 guys. The following weekend 2nd and 3rd, on Saturday we shot about a dozen ducks and 7 geese on Saturday, and just a few on sunday. We saw good sized flocks of mallards comin through and few good sized flock of divers. On the 10th, yesturday we shot just 13 ducks, but got 2 Canvasbacks. Our first Cans ever up there. Mostly we killed widgeon and mallards, with a few gadwall, green/blue wingers, and a fair amount of woodro's(wood ducks). Typically we get a lot of ringnecks and mallards but have yet to get one ringneck. A bunch of us are headin up Thursday through sunday this week and hopefully gonna wack some mallards and divers. I think we've found a decent spot. We have some private land but, are trying different areas to try to get some different actoin. Its paid off, before we'd maybe shot 2 or 3 geese during the regular season on water, now its much better. Theres definitely lots a geese around, hopefully they'll stay till the late season goose hunt!
I think too that this or next weekend should be pretty good, ice cold weather and blue skies. At least thats the best for us up there. We get divers in the early mornin, mallards and geese around 9:30. Keep an out for us I'll be in my truck, a white 2004 f150 supercrew with Team Northland Fishing Sticker in the rear. Maybe you guys have seen me there before, were always at bigfoot gas or koep's I had a 98 red and silve f150 with Northalnd sticker in the rear window as well.

------------------
Only good animal is a dead animal

Hi guys...Just wondering if this cold, crappy weather pushed some birds into the area. I'm thinking this weekend could be pretty good. What are your thoughts?

I hope so. Its gotta make something happen.
One thing is for sure, nothing much changed with these 70 degree days up to this point.

Quick, has anyone been out in the last few days since the temps dropped? Are the divers showing up yet? Any info is good info. I've been stuck in college all week and am going crazy thinking about hunting with this weather change.