• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mad trapper

What are tully's?

mad trapper

I'm coming up to Star later this month and have been reading the postings on tullibies. What are they, how and where do you catch them and are they good eatin? Thanks

Havin' Fun

Tullibee is a cold water fish. They typically are found where water quality is good, and the depth of the water is sufficient to keep them cold and well oxygenated!

Fishing? I've only fished them in the early spring/late ice. I do know some people have fished them on open water though. I would expect fall and spring to be your best bets as they will really suspend(need a vexilar). 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigs attached to a flasher(silver spoon) are my techniques. Tip the jig with a waxie. I usually use about a 12-20 inch leader connecting the jig to the spoon.

Taste? I like em smoked. They are essentially the same as a whitefish, so if you've ever had that smoked in a restaurant...than you will enjoy this. Smoked tullibee with a cold beer and a cracker? Yumm!

BarTender

I've cought them in the summer, they serfice all the time after bugs and suspended minnows. You can throw white flies at them, or small crappie jigs with a crappie minnow. The key is to throw the jigs to where they serfice. most that I catch are about 2#.

I never really got into them this way, but when you do,they are fun on an ultralight.

IFallsRon

Tullibee is another name for ciscoe. It is also known as blueback, freshwater herring and lake herring.

They typically live 3-4 years and grow to two pounds. The Minnesota record is 4 lbs., 3 ozs, caught in Big Sandy.

They are great smoked and are similiar to a whitefish.

They're basic function is to provide forage for larger lake trout and pike.

They have small mouths and will steal your bait before you can set the hook. We used to catch them where rivers ran into the north side of Rainy Lake.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• james_walleye
      DLD I'll keep rigging as long is I can keep catching good fish but entering into August I'll start to pull leadcore more.
    • Wanderer
      Ace, honest question here with no intent to debate, just learning more about muskies. What surface temps do you consider to be too warm for handling muskies?
    • DLD24
      What are your guys favorite presentations this time of year? When I come up I've mostly rigged.
    • CigarGuy
      Thanks Brian, the ratchet straps worked great.... quick, easy and secured it tight. I bought a bunch of big zip ties that it looks like I'll never use😀.
    • BrianF
      CigarGuy, cool pic. Looks like a good time/place for a cigar. lol. As far as securing your dock sections, some folks use bailing wire.  That’s what I use. Heading down in a few minutes to secure mine before the next storm takes sections away. Man, the water is high! 
    • kelly-p
      hal.docx
    • CigarGuy
      Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas?  This was supposed to have been posted last night.  A couple of ratchet straps and I'm golden. Molly the dog is helping me watch my bobber 😀 Two eagles and 5 loons, no fish!!
    • JBMasterAngler
      Fished Big Pine Lake today. Original plan was to fish the Kettle River, but the rain took care of that. I had fished big pine from shore, below the dam, years back and done well, but this was the first time I’ve ever taken a boat out there. Nice lake...looked to be about 2 feet high. Didn’t catch anything until about dinner time, when crappies started chasing schools of minnows on the west shoreline. Caught about 50 of them. I just happened to have a small twister tail that was almost an exact replica of the bait they were chasing, and that was the difference maker. My dad caught a decent pike that went after a little crappie he was reeling in. Was disappointed we didn’t find any bass, but I’d come back here again.
    • delcecchi
      Saw one up Norwegian bay tonight with like 10 basketball size rocks.   Never had to do anything with my old dock since height was adjustable so got no advice there. Posted 3 pictures to be sure I got the right place.  Bits are (nearly) free
    • CigarGuy
      Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas? Just got up here. Road construction sucks.....four hour trip took almost 5 hours.  Thanks Del, back end of the boat was out of the water last weekend. Do you guys use zip ties to secure the dock boards, big rocks or ?...…any good ideas?