• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wow, just reading in Outdoor news yesterday that the good ol CO Denny Lang, busted a local celeb, it said that Babe Winkelmen, his wife Kristeen, and producer are heading to court to battle the charges of using radio in aid of capturing wild game, officer lang had been tipped off that they were using radios, so he tuned in on a frequency and hears the conversation between a man and a women, he goes back the next morning to hear a man say I am going to go get them out of they're beds, a women replied, im in stand, loaded and ready, when lang checked them, they all had nadheld radios tuned into the same channel, the officer was listening too, babe then said he knows the law, and was only using them for safety purposes, he then later admitted to using them illegally, he said in outdoor news that there is gray area and that it needs to be cleared up. What does everyone else think, i think a law is a law is a law and if you break it regardless of your class, or position in public you are guilty. Maybe people think I am too strong, I understand we as humans all make mistakes but, I think you should still be held to them. Hope to hear every one elses thoughts.
Best Fishes
Chris

I read that story too. I'm not sure how I feel about it one way or the other.

It is a high profile name to be sure, but I think the practice of coordinitaing drives it pretty common. It would be very easy to cross the line using radios in that fashion.

We have used those radios out elk hunting, and it sure is nice to call for help when you have an elk down.

I have never had much use for them hunting whitetails, however.

LOLOLOL......
I guess hes just as guilty of it as you or me if we were in the same situation. Personally I think we should be able to use radios when party hunting, just makes good sense. It would cut down on deer left in the woods because of no tag..If you dont want to use them then dont. The downside to the pro radio thing is it would make it alot easier to keep track of Mr Lange. My Two cents...Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Does anyone remember snoopy? Atleast that who we called, I think his name was Flodeen? Ol willy guy,
Best fishes
Chris

I guess I personally would like to see hunters using them to an exctent. I know if there was a accident in the woods where I hunt it is one heck of a run to even get to a truck. (mean while your hunting buddy bleeds to death in the woods). It would also be nice for loading big game like Gissert mentioned. That is probably as far as I would take it though. A who am I kidding. It would be sweet but I think a bit to unfair to the deer. I like the challenge of hunting without the technology though to. I am up in the air.

Babe is a slob hunter anyway. He tried to hunt my fathers place a few years ago and wanted us to drive the whole property to him and his daughter. I'm all for kids hunting but this doesn't seem to be the best way to teach a young girl. Blazing away at running deer chased by you. Just my opinion. I think the radio thing is a judgement call and should be used in an emergency situation only. Not used in a "im in the stand start the drive to me" situation.

I beleive you are allowed to have a radio on, but it can be only used for safety purposes, it just cant be used in aid of shooting deer, i think if the deer is dead, you can radio a friends saying I got one, meet me at the SW corner etc.
Best Fishes
Chris

Heres my point. yes it would be nice to use them but a law is a law and until it is changed or ammended we cant use them. I dont think anyone cares the name of who breaks laws as laws are not made only for us common folk. the law is clear and ol babe broke the law, now he should pay the fine and not be a boob about it just because he is known in the mainstream. another point is that babe of all people should know the laws for hunting and fishing and for him to say there is a gray area is nonsence if you ask me.

So do you all think Babe will remain a spokesman for the MN Deer Hunter's Association????

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.