• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

mtrue68

Has anyone been fishing tulibees yet? Where are they biting?

rwestb

Went fishing for tulibees about a week ago on clitheral. we caught about 15. We were set up fishing by 5:30am and didn't mark a fish until 7:15. fishing was pretty fast from 7:30 till 8:00 most of the fish were only five to ten feet down and you could see them come up to your waxworm. Most of them would just nudge your bait but we did have a few takers. Had another pretty good rush around 9:30.

Smokey

What kind of bait do you use for Tulibees? I'm going up to work on the cabin this weekend but might try fishing Little Pine if the wind will let me get out with my portable.

Mark Christianson

I saw several on the aqua vu on East Battle last weekend.
We were fishing for Pike/Walleye, so we were not using anything that appealed to the tullibees.

CPRBASS

I would love to give the tulibees a try, but I have never done it before. What advice can you give me to help get me started? Depths? Time? Presentation? etc..
I just need to have an understanding of what I should be doing when I am out there.
Thanks.

aquafang

What is a good lake to catch them on? I love catching panfish and such. Just love to catch fish on light tackle. Would love to get into a mess of tulibees! Do you fish them like sunnies? any spots would be appreciated.

Thanks

Havin' Fun

Tullibee's can be caught on many area lakes.

Deep and clear are the better choices.
I attach a silver spoon to my line, than 1-2' of mono, and to that I attach a small tear drop jig and a waxie. Than with your vexilar, jig like crazy til you see fish come in. I let it sit still, and wham!!!
Usually two lines like this jigged opposite of each other is a better idea...although more difficult when the bite is crazy.

Lakes.....
Otter Tail,
Clitherall
Battle
Star
Stalker

Just to name a few.

ChuckN

I fished Clitherall last evening for tulibees and crappies and hooked into a couple dandy tulibee. Those fish love the glow devil 1/16oz spoon. I was using the pink/white with a minnow head.

Fished 42 feet of water and the bees were suspended about 28 feet down. They are fun to catch for sure!!

Just find deep water adjacent to structure and start jiggin. They will come in and nail the lure.

Gissert, you still want some bees to smoke??
grin.gif

Gissert

ChuckN -

Yeah, some 'bees would be great! Just gill and gut 'em, and toss them in the freezer.

I'd like to hook up and fish with you soon. I am up to my ears in a project right now, but after we finish the first couple of aircraft, I'll have some comp time coming.

ChuckN

The best fishing is yet to come. We have plenty of time.... grin.gif

Havin' Fun

I got into a bunch of 8-12" one last spring and froze them whole. I'm saving them for the day when I can get back up to LOW and use them under some tip ups!!!

If you are planning on heading up there this March or April, might be worth saving a few of the smaller ones......they sure love anything that is greasy, oily and smelly!

rwestb

Hey Hammer Em,
Just wondering where you caught the 8 and 10 inchers? I have been on clitherall and all I've gotten there is 14 to 16 inchers which is nice size for smoking but a little to big for bait. I am going to low in mid march and would like to freeze some that size. If you would give up some info it would be appreaciated.
Thanks

Havin' Fun

Shoot me an email and I will be glad to help you out.

rwestb

Hey Hammer, I am not sure what your address is so I will give you mine. [email protected] I would really appreaciate any info that you are willing to share. Thanks, Rob

bcswan

Thinking of trying Clitheral where should i go, or mabye sallie. Any info on how the bite is on either lakw would be nice.

otterman

Has anyone been out on little pine I am going up today and would like to fish on sat or sunday and just wondering if they are getting any bees out there yet. Thanks for the info.
OTTERMAN

boganboy

Hi, I am new to using this forum but I have been reading it in school. I really want to catch more tulibees. Got a cabin on East Battle, and I know that they're are a lot of them out there. Haven't really had a chance to get out there much this year, but I was wondering what's the limit and when are the best times to fish for them? And also if anyone fishes E. Battle has anyone been catching walleyes lately?

boganboy

Hi, I am new to using this forum but I have been reading it in school. I really want to catch more tulibees. Got a cabin on East Battle, and I know that they're are a lot of them out there. Haven't really had a chance to get out there much this year, but I was wondering what's the limit and when are the best times to fish for them? And also if anyone fishes E. Battle has anyone been catching walleyes lately?

CPRBASS

boganboy,

The best times to catch tulibees is during low light periods (early morining or evening) with the morning bite being the best from my experience. There is no limit on tulibees.

By the way, walleye season has ended so you'll have to wait until May.

bucktail

Was wondering if anyone here has actually tried Ottertail for tulibees. I fish OT religiously and have caught several bees in the summer and during there spawning season in November December. There is so much deep water on OT that I think it would be tough to target the ciscoes through the ice.

Gissert

I have always managed to catch a few while walleye fishing in the west basin.

They will usually hit my angel eye or pimple type lure when I reel up to them on my locator.

I still think that lakes like Star and Clitherall are more consistant for tullibees.