• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So how is it looking up there I see weather reports are saying starting friday it's going to start to get cold in the 20's and on like next wednesday a low of 8 do we have any hope for the smaller lakes!!!

GRANDDAD -

It is not looking too promising. If we get the cold, coupled with a very still night, there will be a chance that some sheltered bays may freeze.

I heard reports of someone out on West Lost last weekend, but I did not see that myself. The ice looked really sick on the larger sloughs. There were a couple of guys looking at Second Silver on Sunday morning, but I am not sure if they went out or not. That ice looked terrible.

I have a spot on S. Turtle that I can usually safely get on real early, but it is private access only.

My gear is still piled up in a couple buckets in the hopes that the ice gods will make me panic next Friday to get it ready to get fishing.

Thanks Gissert,for the info am on longlake right on the other side of underwood not to far from s.Turtle it's for the most part out of the wind I own a place on the lake so it's pretty easy for me to get to my honey hole!!!!

Not looking good. Small lakes are (barely) ice covered right now. With 57 degrees today and 55 tomorrow, kiss it goodbye. Then a possible snow storm in the forecast this Saturday thru Tuesday ?? and beyond doesn't help at all!
Snow will only insulate the existing ice. We need lots of cold yet to get walkable ice.

Next week looks like colder weather, so that could change things up. I will keep an eye on it, and give you a report before Thanksgiving. Maybe tell you lakes that are fishable by then???

ANY TIME YOU WANT GISSERT EARLY ICE IS THE BEST AM UP THERE EVERY WEEK END ONCE WE GET SOME ICE !!!

GRANDAD - Thanks. Hope for cold!

CD- I have a great first ice OT spot that usually only has one house on it. It peters out around Xmas or new years.

Coincidentally, that spot sounds just like mine, but houses don't start showing up until January! By that time the fish are "educated" grin.gif

When the ice gets around 7" for the ATV, 4 miles out from Pelican Bay is prime time. wink.gif

Gee CD and Gissert,
Can I be your caddy for OT?
I can carry your buckets and junk.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 11-19-2003).]

GRANDAD - I live just over 210 from you on the NW side of S. Turtle. Long is a neat looking lake, but I have never fished it.

CD- We should try and hook up this winter.

Well, a boat would proabably be my fish house of choice right now, LOL. Hopefully this cold air that is coming will have some calm air at first. As this low pressure system passes, I bet the winds are gonna crank up on Sunday or Monday.

well from the way the weather reports look all that praying to the ice GODS worked!!!!

Hey CD or any one how is it looking up there is there a chance of some walkable ice on some of the small lakes by Friday

Well that dosen't sound to good how much snow is on the lakes i was so hoping to go icefishing but not worth getting wet over

GRANDDAD -

Most of the bigger lakes were still open after the snow stopped.

I am heading for home here shortly, and may have a report on S. Turtle this evening.

An info would be great Gissert all be up there friday just need to no if it's going to be a waste of a trip!!

we got about 4-6 inches of snow on Sunday that is on top of the ice of all the lakes that were frozen at that time. those lakes couldn't have had more than 3 inches of ice at the time, and the snow would keep it from freezing more. The lakes that froze Monday night have about 1 1/2 inches of ice right now, and it's 36 degrees outside.

I stepped out S. Turtle in front of my place tonight. It was dark, so I only went out about 15 feet.

I jumped up and down, and it did not crack. I did not check with a spud bar.

I'll give it a look see in the morning after the sun comes up, and post what I find.

Looked like Otter Tail was iced over this afternoon...in fact, I saw a couple guys out on the ice. They were about 100 yards (?) out, right from the City of Ottertail.

Someone else had asked about Marion Lake...that looked to be iced over, as well.

Most of the lakes in OT county froze over on Monday night. The lakes that were frozen before that now have snow cover on them, which makes them more dangerous, even though they froze sooner.

Alright Ottertail!!,

And the forcast is for 16 for a low Thursday, and 12 on Friday night.

There will be houses going out this weekend. And some sleds and 4 wheelers.
No snow on the ice, it will thicken pretty fast with those temps. I will probably be out there with them on Sunday. West end, out from the corner store/ Ken's bait area.
Good fishing ya all!!
George

I walked out in front of my house on S. Turtle this morning.

Very nice looking, NHL quality ice. I measured two spots, both being 3 1/4 inches thick. I will probably fish later today.

I am on the NW side. Looking towards the access, I can see some spots that appear to have frozen after the section by my place. These are tradional spots that are the last to freeze.

We are going to Lenny's for the buffet later, and I will check Ottertail and the PA oc S.Turtle on the way home.

My daughter and I just returned from a little ice recon mission.

The access on South Turtle is locked up, but I saw no tracks out there yet.

Bass/Elbow looked to be locked up.

I saw one portable set up on the cove on Deer lake where the river runs in.

Ottertail appears to be very unstable. The best looking ice appeared to be in the NW corner, in the Ken's Tackle area. The southern side had a lot of blow in, pancake type ice. It was white, and looked like it had moved a lot during its formation. From the Pier's deck, I could see several open spots, and lots of small pressure ridges where the ice is moving around. This guy will give Ottertail another week to settle down.

West Battle's ice looked better, but there are opes spots visable from the Shoreline cafe.

I might get out on a sheltered cove today on S.Turtle, but the bigger lakes are a bit spooky yet.

Gissert,

Thanks for the recon, that kind of information is invaluable to those of us who have to travel a long ways to get there. I think my group has decided on Ottertail for the weekend of Dec 6th, it should be good for collapsables for sure by then. We actually are hoping good enough to get out there a good ways, we have our favorite spots, all of which are over a mile off shore. How was the buffet? I hear good things about Lenny's, my mother goes there often, she lives over near Phelps mill.
Thanks again for the info.

Hey Rook -

Lenny's was great! 8.50 for all you can eat turkey, ham, taters, stuffing, pie and salad bar. Very good quality, too. The Warden (wife) and I love their wings too. We have a baby sitter for tomorrow night and are gonna hit their meat raffle. Are you originally from the Underwood area?

IF the weather stays cold, I think the ice should be good for the 6th. I'll probably be out on the west end somewhere myself.

I have a full day tomorrow, but will fish S. Turtle on Saturday.

Gissert,

Yes, I was a 1978 Underwood grad, been coming back to the area a couple times a year to fish ever since. Live down near Hutchinson now.

Are you originally from the area?

Maybe I will see you on the lake next weekend. I plan to fish the sand bar straight out from Ken's bait.

Rookie 8 -

Yep, I'm 1984 Underwood vintage, LOL.

I got out on S. Turtle Saturday evening. Five inches of nice clear ice, but I could see some iffy spots beyond my location.

Not sure what I will do this weekend. We'll see how the weather treats this ice. I really want to hit Ottertail if I can on Saturday.