• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I went out to South turtle this weekend and it looked very nice after all the pumping they have done. But now it is **** near impossible to get a boat loaded at the access. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a new access being built or is the old one being repaired? This is a rumor I was told. I did manage to still get 4 crappies & 2 hammer handles Late friday Night but that was about it. Didn't get much time to fish. Anyone else have any luck out there?

It is my understanding that the DNR bought the land on the west side of the access. The house was moved out a year or two ago.

I do not know if they are planning on moving the ramp or not. If it was moved a few yards to the west from its present location, it would probably work a lot better.

I am very pleased with the results of the pumping. If we don't get a mother lode of snow this winter, I may actually be able to reclaim my garden. Water levels are still probably 18 to 24 inches above the ordinary high water mark.

Does anyone have any reports on other landings in the area???? Heading out this weekend and dont want to waste alot of time driving from ramp to ramp. Anyone been to the lake and have any ideas which ones are ok. It would save my son and me some time. Amy help would be appriciated(SP).

Gissert, isen't it nice not having water in your back yard. My dad just loves that he has a sandy beach instead of grass. When I first got to the lake last Friday my jaw about hit the ground. I can imagine how nice the lake would be if they got down were it is supposed to be.

I think it will take alot of wishing to keep it down though. Didn't get much snow last year and this spring & earily summer the rain got us. It is a shame to, that lake is really a nice place to have a cabin on. Very piecefull there.

Would there be anyway to get some sort of a colvert in there to help the flooding?

Jigging Bob -

I have a lot of property back also. Much of it is covered in cattails, which I don't really mind all that much. It kept the geese out of the yard. I have a nice sand beach back too, but it has a lot of exposed cottonwood tree roots in it that hurt bare feet. My actual beach edge is still under two feet of water. I have some beaver runs caving in that I need to stabilize next year.

Where is your Dad's place?

We had an engineering study done when we were investigating on what we could do about the water levels. The most effective and economically viable plan was to pump out of a slough about a half mile from the east end of the lake.

We could not put an outlet in because the body of water we are pumping into sits at a higher elevation that the lake does. There were also private property concerns. Pumping was a quick and relatively cheap way to reduce the rising levels, and it was also the option that was the least damaging to the envrionment. That helped out with the approval process.

Perhaps an outlet could be constructed, but the cost would probably be staggering. The permitting could be troublesome and time consuming to obtain.

Thanks for the info on the colverts. My dads cabin is about ten houses to the left of the big log cabin house with all the windows. If you are looking from the lake to the shoreline. Might be more might be less houses. Sorry I am horrible with directions. House is brown. I am usually in a little off green 14' footer. Probably already seen ya out there alot of times. I am usually there every weekend. Except lately. Been very busy.

Jigging Bob -

Ok, I know about where you are. I live on that bay with all the lilly pads in it. I used to have a boat house on the point, but that flooded out.

My brother (T-Bone) has a place next to where the big slough is attached to the lake now. It is straight across that deep bay by the campgrounds.

I know exactly were the two of you are located. I fish by t-bones quite a bit.

You two been having much luck out on South Turtle It is a very touchy lake. There must not be to many walleye in the lake. I have caught quite a few but not many in numbers. I rarely keep um but it is nice seeing a big ol' walleye coming to the boat. I wonder what the DNR thinks of the walleye production in the lake? I checked a couple years ago and the production rate was pretty good there. Might be alot in the lake and I am on the wrong spots. Who knows. Hope to see you out there some time.

Deemo I haven't heard of many other bad boat landings. Ottertail usually gets pretty hokey this time of year. Had to load a big pontoon in some really shallow water last year. Took alot of liquid enginuity to figure out how to get that baby out.

Jigging Bob -

Actually I have not fished much this summer. I have been remodeling the basement in my house, which pretty much gobbles up my spare time. I have also been working on more water killed trees lately,

As far as walleyes go, you pretty much have to rip them out of the weeds. I have much better luck with them in the winter.

For walleyes, I just go over to Ottertail when I get the urge. I have become a bit obsessed with learning that lake in the winter months. There are so many good unmarked spots out there to try that I doubt if I will ever get a chance to fish all of them.

Yep I can't wait until winter this year I have a couple of good spots I would like to give a shot. Hopefully the ice gets thick enough to drive to them though. Better get very cold very fast I been itchen' to go ice fishin'. I need to purchase a GPS and a vexlar got the underwater camera cause you can never have to many toys when fishing. Good Luck to ya.