• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Braxt

boat ride

Braxt

We are going up to Flag Island 8/21-8/28. We are planning on dropping the trucks in Warroad and boating up. Is this an insane plan? We have 17 to 18' aluminum deep v's. Are there any launch services in this area to haul our gear up? Any help or advice appreciated.

widetrack

Pray for light winds both up, and back.<P>That's 40 miles of BIG water.

AaronM

On most days it would be an uncomfortable ride at best. But if you left early in the morning, you would have good chance of getting there in calm waters. Good luck!<P>FF

Hines R

This is just my opinion but I wouldn't plan on crossing the lake from Warroad or anywhere on the south side. Their are days where you can't even get out on Lake of the Woods on the South side due to wind and wave action. <P>It's a hassle going through customs and the drive takes more time. Whatever you gain by launching the boats from Warroad you'll probably lose going across the lake. <P>I believe that it would be closer for you to go out of Baudette/Wheelers point anyways, and you could possibly tuck into the Islands and get some protection quicker. However, this does depend on wind direction. I believe it's 15 miles from the gap out of the Rainy River to Knight Island which would be your first break from the wind. <P>This is just my opinion.<BR>Ryan

CabinBoy

When we stayed at Flag Island, we put in at the NW Angle and headed out from there. A guy from the resort met us there and transported some of our gear for us as well. Can't remember for sure how long the ride was, but it wasn't bad at all. Just another option.

Wave Runner

The simple answer is yes, boating from Warroad to Flag in a 17 to 18 footer is nuts. In calm water it would be ok. Rarely will you find water calm enough to do this. Very early morning or just at dusk maybe.<P>Drive to Youngs Bay, good parking availability and it's only about four miles by water to Flag. Island Passenger Service will haul people or gear for you at a reasonable rate. The people at Young's Bay or your resort will know how to get a hold of Island Passenger Service.

Kaz

Braxt: I agree with the fact it's not the way to get to Flag Island. However if you prefer not to go thru customs, if for reasons which may be, I'd leave from Long Point. It's about 12 miles to Garden Island and from there you can be sheltered by other islands from there to Flag. You still may pound out in heavy waves, but the distance is much shorter than from Warroad or Baudette. I was out from Baudette a couple of weeks ago in 3 to 5 foot waves, and in my 25 foot covered helm, and not a very good ride. The splash came over the helm on just about every fifth or sixth wave. It can just plain get nasty out there and it's always about the time you want to go across the big part of the lake.. Also make sure you've got a GPS and a Map along as you will loose sight of the land marks during your crossing... BE SAFE FIRST AND FORMOST!!!! Kaz<p>[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 08-04-2004).]

bajafisher

I too have launched out of Long Point Resort and boated up to Flag Island many times this spring & summer. I go in a 18ft. Yarcraft Backtroller w/60hp outboard/gps/vhf(2) and map..never had a problem except slow going in windy conditions. But then I regulary run this boat to 50-60 miles out in Sea of Cortez, Mexico in wintertime. Be cautious and you will be okay. Common sense will tell you when it's too rough.

Braxt

Thanks for your opinions. We will have to look into going out of Long Point. We hate the hassle with customs and have 1 guy with a DWI. We just don't want the hassle at the border if we can avoid it. Obviously if the weather is bad we will have to drive up. We are just trying to find the best alternative. Thanks again.