• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

boat ride

We are going up to Flag Island 8/21-8/28. We are planning on dropping the trucks in Warroad and boating up. Is this an insane plan? We have 17 to 18' aluminum deep v's. Are there any launch services in this area to haul our gear up? Any help or advice appreciated.

On most days it would be an uncomfortable ride at best. But if you left early in the morning, you would have good chance of getting there in calm waters. Good luck!<P>FF

This is just my opinion but I wouldn't plan on crossing the lake from Warroad or anywhere on the south side. Their are days where you can't even get out on Lake of the Woods on the South side due to wind and wave action. <P>It's a hassle going through customs and the drive takes more time. Whatever you gain by launching the boats from Warroad you'll probably lose going across the lake. <P>I believe that it would be closer for you to go out of Baudette/Wheelers point anyways, and you could possibly tuck into the Islands and get some protection quicker. However, this does depend on wind direction. I believe it's 15 miles from the gap out of the Rainy River to Knight Island which would be your first break from the wind. <P>This is just my opinion.<BR>Ryan

When we stayed at Flag Island, we put in at the NW Angle and headed out from there. A guy from the resort met us there and transported some of our gear for us as well. Can't remember for sure how long the ride was, but it wasn't bad at all. Just another option.

The simple answer is yes, boating from Warroad to Flag in a 17 to 18 footer is nuts. In calm water it would be ok. Rarely will you find water calm enough to do this. Very early morning or just at dusk maybe.<P>Drive to Youngs Bay, good parking availability and it's only about four miles by water to Flag. Island Passenger Service will haul people or gear for you at a reasonable rate. The people at Young's Bay or your resort will know how to get a hold of Island Passenger Service.

Braxt: I agree with the fact it's not the way to get to Flag Island. However if you prefer not to go thru customs, if for reasons which may be, I'd leave from Long Point. It's about 12 miles to Garden Island and from there you can be sheltered by other islands from there to Flag. You still may pound out in heavy waves, but the distance is much shorter than from Warroad or Baudette. I was out from Baudette a couple of weeks ago in 3 to 5 foot waves, and in my 25 foot covered helm, and not a very good ride. The splash came over the helm on just about every fifth or sixth wave. It can just plain get nasty out there and it's always about the time you want to go across the big part of the lake.. Also make sure you've got a GPS and a Map along as you will loose sight of the land marks during your crossing... BE SAFE FIRST AND FORMOST!!!! Kaz<p>[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 08-04-2004).]

I too have launched out of Long Point Resort and boated up to Flag Island many times this spring & summer. I go in a 18ft. Yarcraft Backtroller w/60hp outboard/gps/vhf(2) and map..never had a problem except slow going in windy conditions. But then I regulary run this boat to 50-60 miles out in Sea of Cortez, Mexico in wintertime. Be cautious and you will be okay. Common sense will tell you when it's too rough.

Thanks for your opinions. We will have to look into going out of Long Point. We hate the hassle with customs and have 1 guy with a DWI. We just don't want the hassle at the border if we can avoid it. Obviously if the weather is bad we will have to drive up. We are just trying to find the best alternative. Thanks again.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.