• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Please, help a bass fisherman out...

Do any of you know where I can get into some smallmouth in the Ottertail area. It's still a ways out until bass opener, but I'd like to find out if there's another lakes/rivers in the area with good populations of smallies other then Clitherall and Pickeral.

Also, I know there's a lot of good largemouth lakes in the area. I've fished a ton of them. But, I want to know if there's any bass lakes I'm missing out on. Please, could some of you list some of you're best bass lakes. I want to try a lot of different water this season.

I know that pretty much everyone on this board is primarily a walleye person. But, maybe ya'll can help a primary bass man out.

Thanks in advance.

PS
I can catch the hell outta walleyes when I want to too...HaHa.

Finally, another bass guy! No offense to all of the walleye fishermen.
As far as the smallies go (beside Clitherall and Pickeral), Lizzie and Lida can be good. The Ottertail River can be great.

For the largemouth, just about any lake can be good. If you are at Clitherall you have a good chance of finding some nice largemouth too.

Are there any specific lakes you have in mind?

Hey! Give Lida or Big Cormorant a try, seems every time I'm out fishing walleyes along the rock bars I pick up some nice smallies by accident!!! What a fightin' fish!

I worked for the DNR a couple years ago at one of there hatcheries. They told me that one day while netting walleyes the came across what would have been the state record largemouth. They netted and RELEASED this fish. I think Clitheral would be a great place to try if your looking for a real whopper. Just a little thought. GOod Luck

CPR,
Yeah it's good to know there are others out there. I'll definitely be giving Lida a run this season. How big are the fish you've been pulling out of Lida? I looked at a map of the lake, I really like it. I have a few places I'd go for sure. But, since you've fished it, where do you go?

We'll have to keep in touch over the season and touch bases. Thanks for the advice.

Josh,
Where is Big Cormorant? I've looked all over, and I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

Curr,
That doesn't superise me at all. I ve caught some real nice bass outta Clitherall, and lost a couple I would've liked to see. It's a great lake.

Crankbait guy,

All good suggestions. I especially like the Ottertail River, with the best area being to the west of Fergus Falls. You cannot keep them there, but they sure are fun to catch and seem to bite a wide variety of baits.

Crankbait Guy:

I would suggest North Lida, near Kansas Point. The shoreline runs east to west, mostly a rocky bottom. I have fished this area for many years, mostly for walleyes but I always seem to get into a mess of small mouth, large mouth and rock bass. I have been told that the DNR has placed some type of nesting habitat in this particular area…I do not know if this is true or not. Just something to keep in mind.

Big Cormorant is just south of Lake Park, MN. It's a great smallie lake!

Lida is good too.

Below the dam in Fergus is a great smallie location.

Minnewaska is a favorite of mine for nice smallies. It's a little out of the Otter Tail area, but worth the drive.

Crankbait..I'm a vivid bass fisherman... love to catch them...largemouth or small..West Battle has some of the best largemotuh around besides Clitherall..last year on opener we caught over a hundred bass.. some in the five to six pound range..hit the reeds on the south east side of Sand Bay Resort..that's where I will be!now for smallies they are right about west of Fergus.. matter of fact the boat landing right in Fergus to the dam is great..good luck fishing

Also for big bass try Norway.. just north of Underwood..can't kept them there catch and release only ... but there is some whoppers in that lake...

I flyfish everywhere. Bass are extremely fun!! (crappies are my favorite though) but here are some places I've had good luck. Little Long Lake so. of Stalker Lake fish north end shallow and south end deep. Johnson Lake east of Dalton fish shallow reed beds. Lake Ann-north of Underwood fish stumps on east end. Blanche Lake fish weed lines. Long lake north of Fergus Falls (by Jewett) fish weedlines. Mineral Lake on road between mineral and north 10 mile and of course the Ottertail river. hope this helps!! I don't keep them but enjoy catching them. Please be extra nice to them this time of year!

[This message has been edited by LadyInWading (edited 05-02-2003).]

Don't overlook the three rock piles in so. tenmile. The big one has a bouy marker, it has 3(that I know of)spawning logs staked on the north edge. The smallies use this rock bar all year, and usually are there in big numbers.Strike King Pro flippin tubes,Yammato Ika's, and rapala husky jerks are all good baits.Also don't overlook the ottertail river. Right in town at hanna park there is a decent landing(little weedy later on)but always fun on windy days when you can't get on the bigger lakes.Good luck and remember to take the kids!!!

------------------
AGA
Alexandria Guide Association
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

believe it or not, there are smallies in OT lake. I have caught and seen them while snorkeling over rock piles. They are few and far, but they are isolated on the rock piles, and they are huge.