• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Temporary Handicapped Fisherman?

I was hoping that someone out there could help me out. I will be having surgery on my shoulder next month, and had a trip to LOTW planned for a couple weeks after surgery. Being that I won't be able to use my one arm, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or tricks which would enable me to fish with my one good arm. I hate to be left behind for this trip, so If anyone has any ideas, let me know. This might be useful to other people too.

Thanks, Brett

How strong are your teeth? Seems to me as long as you can use the HAND of the arm with the bad shoulder, you could REEL with that hand and set the hook/hold the rod in the other hand. If the hand will also be useless, try a rod holder. set the hook, stick the rod in the holder and start reeling.

If you cant get your paws on an electric reel your next safe bet would be to use a baitcasting reel on a rod with a long butt. Set the butt under one leg and on top of the other, reel with your one good hand. Will you be in a cast? If you are you might be able to jury rig up something on the cast to hold the rod.. Tough time of the year to have that problem! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I'm thinken some type of harness and cup deal. That electric reel would be nice but they are spendy. I'll figure something out. If anyone has any more ideas let me know.

Thanks again,
Brett

As long as you are out on the water and enjoying the great outdoors does it really matter?

You can still open a beverage with one hand!

It depends on which shoulder you are having surgery on and which hand you hold the pole with. I have had two right shoulder reconstructions. I was still able to fish because I hold the pole with the left hand and reel with the right. My right arm was in a brace around my waist and immobilized, but I was able to move a little from below the elbow, and my right (reeling) hand was free and able to move. Good Luck!

I use one of these for shore/surf fishing. Should help.

Storefront  >  Fishing  >  Fishing Tools  >  Miscellaneous Tools  > You are here: 3rd Grip Pole & Tool Holster

3rd Grip Pole & Tool Holster
You never have to waste precious fishing time again! The 3rd Grip Pole and Tool Holster, fits around your waist, lower leg and float tube. This durable, comfortable device allows you to keep your pole secured while baiting up, removing hooks, changing lures, removing tangles from your line or even freeing your hands to eat. The lightweight holster also stores a knife and pliers for instant access. Ideal for either freshwater or saltwater, you can use the pole and tool holster for fishing from shore, on a boat float tube, jetty or pier.
Colors: Blue, Camouflage.

Avail from cabelas and others.

Oldvike