• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've seen some of your other posts and it sounds like you have a very good handle on Lake Lida. Was wondering if you would share a couple of your favorite walleye ice spots on the lake for next year. I've had some limited success on Lizzie and tried Lida a couple of times without any luck. I would like to give Lida a couple more tries next year so if you wouldn't mind sharing a couple of spots, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Wall Eye:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I was at LOTW on a little trip...anyway

I have spent most of my time on the south side of North Lida. There are no easy ways of getting to this side unless you know a land owner or are willing to drive straight south from the public access on the North Side..I have never tried it but I suppose it can be done in a truck. I have family on this particular side so that is the area that I spend most of my time.

I would suggest getting a lake map and looking for shallow spots off of Kansas point or near the area of Bagely bay. You will find most of the area is 30plus feet of water but there are areas that go about 17 feet. These have been good spots in the past..mostly early in the season. There may be one or two houses in these areas but that is it. These areas dont have much for year-around house..so you wont see much for people. I have spent many days without even seeing a single snowmobile come by..sorta nice that way.

I have also had success on the north side.. in the Clay Point area...where everyone is fishing...again I look for about 17 to 20 feet of water.

I just fish South Lida for panfish and dont have much of a clue for walleye spots...If it where up to me, I would just look for the same depths/drop offs as I have described above. good luck in your fishing..if you happen to find yourself near these spots...looks for a black polar canvas portable with a yellow top...stop in and say hello.

cliffy,

Thanks for the reply. I saw your other post about the new jig you tried up at LOTW. I was up there 2/28, 3/1 and 3/2 and saw those lures at the Amaco in Warroad. Didn't buy any but I think I will give them a try next time. Hoping to get back up there once more this year. The last trip was pretty lousy: cold, windy, lots of little dinks, very few keepers and to top it off, my auger siezed up Sunday morning so we didn't even get to fish on Sunday (Scheels just called and my auger is fixed, but ouch, it sure is gonna put a dent in the pocketbook). We went out of Long Point both 2/28 and 3/1. We tried 30' Fri. morning and 34' in the afternoon and it was slooooow. Had some friends move in shallow in the afternoon and they had some luck, so Sat. we set up where they had been and that's where we caught all the dinks.

I had a friend up there last weekend and he said it was pretty slow for them and the weather was not very cooperative. He said they were out about a mile past the last house at Long Point. Sounds like you had some decent fishing. How did you do and where were you out of?

Thanks again for the suggestions on Lida. As I said, I've tried it a couple of times but am not that familiar with the lake. I have fished around the large group of houses on the north side, so I assume that is what you refer to as the Clay Point area. A year ago I did venture to the south side of the lake by driving across the lake from the access, but even with the DNR maps I wasn't sure where to go since it is a fairly large body of water. Is Kansas point the rectangular shaped point that juts out into the lake on the south end?

When I'm out on Lida next year chasing those walleyes I'll keep my eyes open for the black polar with the yellow top. I have a green Eskimo portable sled and drive a white Jeep and the invitation is open to you also!

Our LOTW trip was good. The fishing was slower then the past two trips that I have taken this winter and the weather was not on our side. It was rather cold and very windy.

My fiancé and I fished out of Ballard’s resort and their houses are about 13-14 miles out in 34 feet of water. We caught a fair amount of walleyes. The biggest was just a little over 20 inches..and it was caught by my fiancé (she caught two of them)… she is still rubbing it in! We were able to get a fair amount of 14 to 16 inchers. We spent most of our time fighting off the dinks. The glass glow jig saved the day on Sunday...

Yes, Kansas point is straight south across the lake from the North public access. If you go east along the shoreline, you will run into Bagley Bay. It takes a little time and effort to find these spots since there are no large groups of shelters in the area. Perhaps I will see ya out there next winter. Good luck fishing.