• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Havin' Fun

Sick Perch On OT?

Havin' Fun

I've seen it on walleyes before. Got several walleyes on Mille Lacs last year with this problem and I'm pretty sure it was diagnosed as a parasite found in the mud that infects the fish. Nothing dangerous, but often found on fish that lay and roam the mud...ie perch and walleyes.

fishermatt

I've caught several walleyes on Ottertail that had "carbunkels". They are usually only on the skin, and have no effect on the meat.

Paul Rohweller

This is a common occurence in walleyes, especially in late winter. I had a talk with a boilogist about it down at the dead river hatchery a couple spawning runs ago and he said its nothing to be afraid of, doesnt hurt the fish, usually goes away during the summer...Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Brett Meyer

Thanks for the info guys. Iv'e seen the "Herpies Growths" on some walleyes but never an ulcer type deal.

Anyways, good info to know.

Brett Meyer

Brett Meyer

I was out fishing a couple weekends ago and I caught a perch. Once I got it up the hole I could see it had some type of ulcer on it's head above its eyes. It didn't look to healthy, so not knowing what it was I kept it, not releasing it.

Has anyone else ran into anything similar, or know what this might be?