• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to ottertail this weekend and was wondering on the walleye bite and the ice conditions? Just wondering if we need to bring the 4-wheeler or if we can just drive out? Will be on ottertail probably sunday in a permanant that is shiny aluminum in color and possible pulled by a red dodge. Any info on where to start looking for eyes? Thanks

I drove along the so shore yesterday past the pelican bay access, and from what I saw they are driving all over w/full sized, there were a few parked in the lot with trailers for wheelers, I would drive out.
sorry I have no fishing advice, was a buis. trip.

I was out there yesterday. There are full size pickups driving all over the lake. Where I was fishing, 2 miles out, there was approximately 15-17 inches of ice. You shouldn't have any trouble driving where ever you want. Good luck.

Well it seems the ice is good how about the walleye bite? I know theres usually a ton of houses out in front of the access but i would rather stay away from the crowds.

It was pretty much classic OT for me. Picked up quite a few small fish between 4:30 and 5:30. Most were throw-backs with a couple keepers over 15 inches. If you enjoy catching perch, they bit nearly non-stop all day long. Good luck...let us know how you do.

B Mac,
What kind of depth are you at? Are you on a flat, hump, or shoreline break? Thanks for the info.

MJ

I was around the Balmoral Flats area today, and the bite was so-so. I caught 5 eyes, keeping one, and 60-70 perch keeping 4 over 11 inches.

Lots of 7 to 9 inch perch.

I was fishing from 14 feet out to 44. 18 feet was the most productive. Around prime time there were a lot of sniffers, but not too many takers. The Rock N Reel was the key for those light biters tonight.

The ice was 15 inches.

So is there a map with the names of the spots on the lake that most talk about?? I have marked a few with my gps during the summer but not sure if they will produce in the winter.

Check out the gps calibrating system on this web site. I've used it and it works well. It doesn't have the names of the spots, but you can look at a lake map and click on good looking spots and it will give the coordinates. If you have a gps that you can upload/download to from your computer it works really well. If have a gps that doesn't do this, you can enter the coordinates by hand. It's easy to use and for the price, a great product. I use it year round and have had good success with it.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/gps-calibrate-lakemaps.html

If the link doesn't work, go to fishingminnesota.com home page and click on gear so advanced it's easy and scroll down to find it under custom gps minnesota lake maps.
Good Luck,
MJ

JT

There is a map by Hot Spot, I believe is the name, that shows most of the spots that people refer to - - - granpa's island, balmoral flats, etc. It's about $7 and they are sold at Fleet Farm. I'm not sure who else sells them, but I'm sure others in the area do. It highlights 30 or so spots that are commonly fished and the techniques used. It's not a bad map for the price...it's waterproof too. I talked to a guy who has the software program referred to and he said it's a reasonable investment, but that the coordinates are at least 1/10 of a mile off. Your best bet is to find all the spots off the map in a boat and then relocate them much easier the following winter.

I'll probably hit the Tail this Sunday and I'll post the results. Good luck.

Thanks, Guys.
I've been fishing some of my normal spots and have caught lots of fish in the 6-12 inch range. Very few keepers. I've heard similar reports to mine...Then I've heard this report from a couple of good sources: "Not catching many, but they are good keepers, typically 15-18 inchers with an occasional fish over 20 inches."
I might have to go on a troll again. The mid-lake small humps just aren't producing yet.
Good luck fishing. Maybe we'll see you on the lake some time.

MJ

Well thanks for the info guys its to bad i didnt check the site before i left on friday nite. (darn it)!! Anyways as far as the fishing went it was not real good. Was on walker lake saturday for crappies and sunnies and couldnt get a bite! Tried my new angel eyes and many things under the sun and still no luck. Went out on ottertail sunday and today and caught a few eyes. Was on a 12' hump just out to the left of where dead river runs in from walker. Caught quite a few 6-10 inchers close to dark. Stayed overnite last nite in the house and caught 2 14 inchers after midnite. Not the best bite but kind of a typical ottertail for size anyway.

Iv'e got my house in about 26 feet of water on a hump out in the middle of the lake. I saw walleyes all day on the aqua view, but none wanted to bite. They are there, but they don't seem like they are too agressive.

Spent yesterday afternoon out there. Fished from anywhere from 12' to 38' and we pulled up one 8" walleye at dusk. It is very slow out there right now, and has been getting progressively worse day by day for me. Some cooperative perch, but that's it. I'll be looking for new spots if I go back.