• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
chanfish

slip knots,kids and closed face reels

chanfish

I have a 10 and 6 year old who love to fish. They have the standard closed faced zebco push button reels like I had when I was their age. I have problems fishing deep with slip bobbers as the knot gets hung up in the reel. Any advice?? Open faced reels may be a bit too much for them in the boat. I am hoping their are other parents/grandparents who have figured this out. thank you!!

Chanfish,

I also have a six year old and ran into the same problem with one of those "Bugs Bunny" closed faced reels. I went ahead and let him use an open face ULTRALIGHT and was surprised how well he did. Little son of a gun caught a six pouind catfish and casts like a pro. The ten year old should be able to handle an open face, I think. Would highly suggest ultralight (particularly for the 6 year old) as the rod is shorter and the reel smaller, better for their size hands.

fishingpreacher

I have four kids, ages 7-11. They all use open-faced reels. After using the closed-face style for a few years, they all adjusted pretty easily to the open-faced ones.
We don't use slip bobbers a whole lot; still, I got tired of the closed-face reels; they seem to be less reliable than the open-faced ones, at least for me and my family.
Even in the boat, they work pretty well, as long as I space the kids apart. And, of course, when all the kids are fishing, I don't get to fish too much!
Have fun!