• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

DNR stocking dead lake

Has anyone read the latest DNR survey on Dead Lake? They are going to start stocking walleye biannually. This is good news, and should make for more steady walleye fishing.Three million walleye stocked every two years can't be bad. Pesonally I think this lake has two many sunfish in it. Years ago 8-10 inch sunnies were common now your lucky if you can find a fish over 8 inches. All the small Sunfish may be hurting the Walleye population.Any thoughts?

Paul Rohweller

I dont spend my time on dead lake chasing walleyes, usually bass. I had never read the survey on dead, I knew it was shallow but didnt realize that so much of it was above the littoral line. As for the stocking, it might be a good thing. Some lakes it might benefit and dead should be one of them. Ottertail has never been stocked other than the dnr replacing what they take in eggs in the spring. I think the dnr has been wasting money stocking other lakes with good natural reproduction. The stocked year classes in some biannual stocked lakes show no improvement in numbers of walleyes. Another thing to think about, mortality rates. Every passing year the numbers of those stocked fish will be cut in half. Put in three million next spring and by next spring it will be half that and so on and so on. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie