• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello,

Long time reader 1st time poster, just curious, with MEA weekend upon us and a fishable period, any hints on where and how to fish up there. I am leaning towards The Tail but Big Pine, Marion and others also tempt me. any help appreciated.

Eyesguy

If the wind will let you I would head to ottertail and fish around the edges of the big flats on the east end of the lake. Vertical jigging would my choice, jig colors either blue/glow or chartruse/glow, orange or gold. I like to tip mine with a shiner minnow, I also like to use a rattle on my jigs. If you take your time and look you should find some fish in the 17 to 26 foot range, those are usually the most agressive. There will also be a deep bite. 30 ft and deeper. Fish the mornings starting a little after sunup and you should be done by noon. Pretty much the same bite on big pine right now also. I know I've said it a hundred times here but use your electronics and keep moving until you find fish! good luck and good fishin!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

HI Paul,

Well I guess i hit turnover in a big way!!
I logged over 25 miles on Ottertail and wow.. not only didn''t I see any.....

Then Saturday on Big Pine... over 12 miles and equally as tough.. at least here I saw ones an 2 s but still really tuff fishing.

Iguess as Ikeep a journal on such things..
any ideas on alternative lake in case I run into this again?

Thanks

Eyesguy

WOW! You did cover some water!
Alternative backup lakes for me in that situation are little pine, east battle or north lida, lida was hot last weekend inm 13 to 26 ft jigging. Lots of structure on ottertail isn't there? Alot of times you can run 3 miles worth of edges and end up fishing in an area the size of a small house or even smaller. What time were you on the water on ottertail?

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Hi Paul,

I fished Otter Tail On Friday from 9am till 530 pm. Saturday on Big Pine same amount of time. We tried jigs and live bait rigs anywhere from the top of the flats (10 feet) to some deep water humps 30 to 40 foot tops. and I even resorted to shoreline breaks. I saw alot of boats roaring around from spot to spot so at least I know I wasn't the only one haviing a tough time.

Big Pine 1st time there, Had a map and tried about 10 good looking spots, here I saw fish but they must have been on the move I would toss a moarker and work the area and they were gone. This lake had as many if not more boats at the landing as Otter tail.

maybe back to ice fish

Thanks for the help

eyesguy