• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey Paul...weekend fishing report

Hi Paul,

I just got back from my 4-day weekend in your area. Doesn't it always happen that the weather gets beautiful the morning you have to leave?

Here's a quick recap:
* Beers Lake - booted a 35-36" Muskie at boatside...first time I've fished Beers and NOT caught a muskie. Bass fishing slow and a few small pike.
* Sauer Lake - several bass from 14-17" and a few small pike. Couldn't buy a bite on a jig, but caught several on a crankbait...very weird.
* South Lida - some respectable bass to 19", but numbers were low.
* Johnson Lake (Southeast of DL) - some pretty decent pike up to 30", and some hefty bass that hit big muskie plugs.
* Leek/Trowbridge Lake - tons of snakes and some 13-15" bass.
* Loon Lake - pretty darned good bass fishing with the 2 largest running 18 1/2".
* Pelican Lake - had some trouble controlling the boat on this big lake...did not spend much time, but caught a few small bass and pike. Wow, are there some fancy places on that lake!
* Boyer Lake - Only caught 3 bass, but all were between 17"-18 1/2" and FAT! I understand the fishery is only about 5 years old from a '95 winterkill and '96 restock. Those bass must be on steroids to get that big in that period of time. Also caught what I would have to call a Silver Pike...could this be? It was shaped like a pike and had 5 nodes under the chin, but had no markings whatsoever. I've heard of them, but never caught one.
* Little Comorant - mostly small bass, but a few in the 17" class. Loads of small pike.
* Mississippi River (South of Brainerd) - some walleye and pike, and another booted muskie. It was absolutely pouring rain that day...pretty miserable conditions.

The weather (for the most part) was crappy, and the fishing marginal at best. We focused most of our efforts vertical fishing blow-downs that bordered sharp breaks. The fishing was especially good in the areas where the deep weedline was near the wood cover. The flats seemed void of fish. Crankbaits on the deep coontail also produced, but only sporadically. Topwater fishing at day break was always pretty consistent. We moved around a lot, scratching a few fish every here and there. We never really got into any big numbers of fish except around the sunken island on Sauer. It was an enjoyable, but wet and windy weekend.

I'll be back in about 4 weeks.

FLB

Hey! thanks for the update!
Man you put a few miles on huh? lolol
A bud caught a 6.5 largemouth on east battle lake over the weekend, only bass he caught all day but it was worth it!
Walleye fishing has been good if your not right under a cold front. I've boated about 40 eyes in the last three trips out. Nothing noteworty in the size department tho. Mostly 14 to 19 inchers with quite a few dinks mixed in, but the action feels good after the summer heatwave..That silver thing you caught on boyer was a silver pike, they were stocked in there after the winterkill. I have had one follow a big purple and gold muskie bucktail right up to the boat andI know it was at least 15 lbs. Alot of these local lakes have large numbers of perch and freshwater shrimp, the fish love them and they get fat fast!! Good luck and good fishin!!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 09-26-2001).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.