• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A funny thing happened on the way to a waypoint

On sunday I was making my rounds out on big beautiful and rainy ottertail lake. Not very far off of one of my regular sandbars sat an old beat up moss covered lindy marker. I made a pass around it and nobody had been there all day so I pulled it up. Here it was a marker that I had lost in july 1998, I had tied way too much weight on it (old car hood spring) and it failed to unwind sending it to the bottom. The best part of the whole deal is that it was on a bar that I had all but forgotten about. what are the odds of that happening more than once every twenty years? Life is good! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Reminds me of an old saying involving the sun and a dog's butt getting shined on somehow, but I can't remember exactly how it goes...
The story would be complete if you could follow it up with a tale of how you absolutely knocked 'em on the "long lost bar".
Scoot

Hey bud! hows it goin? still gettin them on the tail eh? Im thinking I just might try to get out on turtle, or labelle. This weather should work just about right im hopeing, Last time it was way to warm when I fished on Labelle, Hey What do you suggest i use on labelle and turtle? jig&minnow, lindy rig, spinners, etc? what do you think would be the dpeth to try on both of them. im guessing any where from 12-17ft on turtle and dont have the slightest about labelle. Man im shure i could probally catch some waldos now, i just need lights on my boat! lolol trailer lights dont work to well either lol. Well let me know whats happening and if you want to get together head out fishin somewhere sometime. Talk to yah later, and good luck guiding. Oh yah, Hows your kid doin?

[This message has been edited by slick2526 (edited 09-18-2001).]

Paul, where in Ottertail do you hail from? Ya know Peter Babler in Perham? He is my Bro-in-law.

I am heading up this weekend to throw some jigs at the eyes. Are they in the shallows yet?

Hey Slick!
Tail was a little slow last night,at least where I was. It's still a jig bite tho, I think that little cold front that blew through was partly to blame. Blue /glow scenic tackle jigs tipped with a shiner in 14 to 30 feet has been producing. Another deep bite is also occuring in 40 to 50 feet of water but I seldom fish that deep because the fish dont release very well. Hate to kill a bunch on little guys. I think you should keep after turtle lake, theres big ones to be caught is just a matter of timing. Jigemup! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 09-19-2001).]

aquaman, welcome to fishingminnesota!
I'm not real local down there,I live an hour west. I spend 99% of my fishing time on ottertail, big pine, little pine, little macdonald, north lida and bad medicine lakes. My first walleye that I remember catching out of the tail was about 4 pounds back in 1971, just a youngin! lolol I have family roots in the area since the mid 50's so I suppose thats how I ended up with the fever, I think its genetic. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

An hour west would put you in the Dakotas? Yeah, it is a great area. My wife's family lived there for about 4 years while her Dad worked on the farms for M&O. Now her brother lives there and works for the same outfit. Small world in the end. He and I bought a cabin on the north end of Ottertail near the mouth of the river. I will be there this weekend, in fact. Looking for the eyes in the weeds I think.

Hey Paul! How's things been with you and the family?

Are we still on for the Pines on the 28th?

Had my tail (not Ottertail) on fire recently with this latest virus. Between that and the last week's events, I GOTTA go fishin'..

Hope to see ya soon.

Dave

Still on Smitty! Even looking forward to it..lolol I had little pine pretty much to myself last trip altho there was quite a few shore fisherfolks out around the bridge and culvert. The fish are still in the same place you left them last fall. I havent been to big pine in a while, possibly this weekend, I will see what happens. Hard not to go to ottertail if you know what I mean! Give me a holler when you get up here...... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Paul, I"m new to the computer,only been usin one for 2 wks but I like the info I'm seein. You brot a big smile to my face talking about the culvert,been standing out there many a time mostly on openers, but I'm making the 300 mile trip to try some fall eyes.ASlong wwwith a few quacks I hope will give you a report later next week .

Hi Wadersneyes,
Glad you like it! I hope to see a report on your up north experiences, if you have been reading past posts you probably noticed what cranks I have been trolling etc. Feel free to ask questions or post opinions etc.. All are welcome here and there is no such thing as a stupid question, if I cant awnser it someone can. Good luck and good fishin! Later!!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Paul, my report as promised........ Duck Hunting in North Dakota was very good ,filled out in no time,mostly Mallards,but saw Teal,Pintails,Redheads,Ringnecks,and others,also lots of geese both greaters and lesser canadas. Then on to Perham, two evenings casting plugs and live bait.Was very slow,caught only 2, a 16 and 18 incher,Fresh walleye is hard to beat and it was MMMM MMM Good. Next trip up there will be hard water season,would like to try the tail for walleye. Any ice fishing info would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Thanks for the update wadersneyes....
Little pine was a little slow friday night for us.The ones we were catching were decent fish much like yours. Theres been alot of geese flyin around the house here. Colder weather is coming!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Hey Paul, Saturday night was the ticket on Little Pine. Picked up probably 14-16 all around that 16-19" range. Fair again on Sunday and Monday (2nd and 3rd), but off a little from Saturday. Pretty much everything on perch Shad Raps. Also picked up a few on Big Pine during the day. That waypoint you gave me was exactly on the edge that I was talking about, I think we (I) just got crossed as to where was where.lolol Most fish up on top there in 9-11' and fire-tiger was the ticket.
It was good to see ya again. We'll have to hook up again next year.

Good fishin'..... Dave

Way to go!
Little pine has been that way all fall, little slow one evening then the next you can really put the hurt on them! lolol Slick and I were on big pine on sunday and picked up a few, was a little thin tho. That edge has been good to me this season.. I'm off to lake of the woods for the weekend! WEEE HAAAAA!! lol Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387

Yep, trolling that edge in 9-11" was our biggest overall producer in August too..

Have a ball at LOTW!!

Dave