• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My report 9-26 thru 9-28

A friend of mine and I went to Vermilion on Sunday morning, started fishing in the late am, picked up a few eaters on Sunday afternoon, Monday 9-27 we kept 6 eaters 14-16, I don't like frozen fish, result was kept only what I would eat when I returned home, released some fish in that range. Now came Tuesday morning when we were to return to Minneapolis, we opted to try a spot that had produced the late afternoon of Monday. We were still looking for a large fish. My partner hooked into what he thought was a rock, until he announced hey!, this rock is swimming. After about a 4 minute, seemed like 20 minute, struggle he finally got the fish up to where we could see it, to our surprise it was a 30 inch walleye, it was huge, the girth was big, we measured her, took a few pictures, and helped her to recover and off she went back to the bottom.I would estimate her weight at 11 plus.I did not want to hang her off a scale, she was having a bad day as it was. My partner has the camera and he is on vacation the rest of this week, when he returns I will post the pictures of this trophy, next week.
For those that are interested in what we were using, it is as follows, all of our fish came on crawlers, we were fishing deep water on the sharp drops, and in the rocks, next to these sharp drops to deeper water. I was using a lindy rig set-up with a 1 ounce egg sinker, the wind was brutal on Monday, the only way to get down was with the added weight, I seemed to get more fish with this set-up, my partner was trying to vertical jig with a heavy jig, not as many fish, but the big fish was taken on this jig set-up with a crawler. The depth range we were taking fish was 38-42 feet of water, all the fish seemed to be hugging the bottom, the "zoom in" feature on my locator certainly did help, when the fish were right on the bottom. Good luck to all.
Darrell Larson

Congrats on the sweet fish and thanks for the report. My wife and I are heading up on Saturday. Too bad the weather is forecasting lots of fishing alone. smile.gif

Wally

Wow! Sounds like you had a great trip. I'm really looking forward to seeing that big walleye photo posted here.

Looks like our work is cut out for us to find a similar fish.

I was on the east end working the 24-30' range took some small eye's with jig minow as well as, lindy rigs. I easily get bored so tried 3 colors of leadcore and shad raps. They worked for a little more size on some flats...
I did try some break's off point's but they must have been in the wrong area...

B2

------------------
Jump in! There is plenty of fish for everyone!