• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am having a tough time catching walleye this year while the past two years were awsome. I am begining to think that this years cooler weather has not set up a thermocline or its much deeper this year.I think this is allowing the eyes to utilize deeper water than usuall. What do you guys think. ps thanks for the free answers

CJ

CJ,
I have had the same thoughts. The only problem is, I have been getting walleyes much shallower then I generaly ever fish!
On most years at this time of the year I would be fishing in 25' to 50' of water.
I am getting all of my fish in 12' to 26'!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Hey Cliff, The bays have not warmed up this year so I am guessing that some of the fish are hanging close to or outside of the bays. We know that not all fish are doing the same thing at the same time but I am talking about the fish that should be out near deep water on structure they are not there. I usually see fish suspended also around this structure, not this year.
tbc

part 2 Sat we were live bait rigging around the islands and I saw a guy trolling with downriggers and guessed he was in about 30 fow. As luck would have it he was pulling out at FB sunday morning when I was. He said that he only had a hour to fish on Sat and caught a 16 and 17. He said that his cranks were running at 24 fow just above the weeds, so I've been scratching my head saying theres no weeds in 28 tbc

Sorry but I can only post about 6 lines at a time anyway, I think he is seeing clutter or baitfish on his screen and thinking it is weeds so maybe my deep structure fish are not forced up to the structure this year by the thermocline but are hanginging in the deeper water off of the structure. Well we will test the theory this weekend. Cranks with snap weights down to 24 feet or so. CJ

Hey CJ- I've been fishing the Ely area and teh fish seemed to have moved deeper, we caught eyes and craps in 30' so I think they are starting get into fall patterns. I just bought 2 of the new deep rapala taildancers that are supposed to dive to 30feet at the Lucky 7 in virgina. I havent tried them yet but they may be a new addition to the arsenal. good luck and tightlines!
redhooks

Your right CJ, there aren't any weeds at 26ft on the Big V. That may be the thermalcline that he is reading on his electronics. smile.gif

Pick up some reefrunners to get down to that 25ft range, they will run at that range with 140ft of line out behind the boat.

Good Luck my friend!

------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
aceguideservice.com
Lake Vermilion
Muskies and More.

Pro Staff Member.
Catch-n Tackle.
CKat Custom Muskie rods.
Bearpaws Handpoured Baits
Ohio Pro Lure.
Muskie Nut Tackle.
Big Chimney Muskie Baits.
H20 Muskie Tackle.
Marcum.

CJ,
The thermocline rises as the upper water becomes colder then the bottom water.
I am either seeing a late alge bloom on the lake the past couple of days or the lake is starting to turn over..???
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I know the lake is turning over a bit when as Mr. Cliff says, the Bloom is showing up?
My head gets so plugged up, I can't see or hear or breath so good.
Start bumping into things more that normal and feel all wiggly inside me brain.
But I can still find the Big dogs and have some fun ROCK'EN the Island.

Been out there 74 days, in town to hang with the ZZ Boys at the Fair Friday nite, viist Mom and back I go till Halloween.

Thought I drop by and see what'sup online.
smile.gif

Keep on Rock'en friends.

Keep on Rock'en!

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

Cliff, Tom, Guideman, Thanks for all you do to help the occational weekender to the area. I was reading CJ's post and I wander if it was me he talked to. I was running reefrunners down about 24' and caught a couple. I was in a 14' jon boat. But I never said anything about weeds so maybe it wasn't me. Anyways, What you said about fish in 24-30' is where i was finding them. Suspended up about 2-5 feet off bottom. i did try shallow (15') and didn;t see anything. The two days prior were terrible though with the strong east wind. What is it about East wind that makes fishing so difficult. All the fish I found were so scattered in deep water just couldn;t get them to hit anything. As soon as the wind turned from the south is when I caught the 2 eyes.