• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opening Weekend/West End

So.....It's nearly that time again....a few wet days and counting. Judging by the forecast, it will be an interesting opener to say the least. Most likely will have some chilly water temps to contend with since it's snowing this morning over a large area of northern ND and Minn. Will the wind ever stop blowing? Fished similar conditions a few years back in the Buffalo Bay area and found the fish extremely shallow 3-4 feet.....did VERY well on eater size males with a jig and minnow. Hopefully it is setting up for a repeat! <P>Maybe we could get the experts to weigh in on their predictions/techniqes for the conditions that we will most likely have this weekend. Widetrack, Fisky, Old Guide, Anybody else??

Yepper this weather sure took a turn for the worst! Plain nasty out there with sleet and wind. Hopefully things will look brighter by the weekend.<P>This spring's weather has been simular to that opener 2 years ago you mentioned. That year I fished over east on opening day with so so results. Went west that Sunday for the afternoon and we got into the fish good, and just like you in very shallow water. We got some larger fish that were spilling eggs all over the deck. The Lake spawners do the wild thing on a different time schedule than the river runners do on account of the water in the pond stays cold longer.<P>Find the good shoreline spawning locales and work them over good.....Should be some big fish to be found.<P>If you're fishing in Buff bay you may just wanna follow Widetrack around though....lol!<P>fiskyknut

What he said.<P>Except the part about following me around.<P>Hard bottom, Big jig, big shinner, big walleyes.

WT, I won't give anybody a description of your boat but make sure you don't flash that landing net around to much. I'll be out and about somewhere.

Also don't hoist your pirate flag. WT did you guys manage to get up north and get into those trout?<P>Is that Yarcraft of yours back together yet...lol!<P>Weather permitting Josh and I may run up near where we all ice fished. Maybe try near the sand bays we spoke of last year too. It's all still in the works, we won't know untill we get there!<P>Redtails and Creek Chubs are building nests already behind my old place, I've managed to get a few of these Walleye snacks. Hoping this crappie weather don't swell the creek too much cause we need more. Someone decided to liberate 3 of my traps the other day....guess I'm gonna have to get some no tresspass signs out there on account of that.<P>fiskyknut

Fisky:<P>My boats still in the shop. I'll be fishing with some friends up North this weekend. (Trout)<P>This will be the first year I've missed walleye opener as long as I can remember.<P>I'm picking my boat up early next week, so I'll be after a few walleyes shortly after that.

Good to hear you're boat will be back in the biz soon. Hey you're not really skipping opener, you're trout fishing anyways....Sounds like a good time to me, and smoked laker is 'oh so good'!<P>fisky

Just reading this and all your enthusiasm has my blood pumping. Not going to make the opener down here. Taking my wife to Mpls for the weekend. She never says a word all year about all the fishing and hunting so I'll go along with her plans. Hope you all have a really terrific opener. Weather has been HOT down here, high 80's thunder storms, tornado watches, and I look at your area and youre 40 degrees cooler than we are. Any ice on the pond yet?????LOL...Hey good luck guys and hang on, I'll be looking for the reports come Monday. Bill

Gillraker, I've been fishing the opener on Buffalo Bay a long time. Two years ago we found lots of male walleyes in 7 to 10 feet of water. Last year we hit them in 5 to 7 feet ( the lake was low but this was a diff. spot) The prev. year's location didn't produce. Lots of moisture rain/sleet/snow! The weather should change by ????? Stay warm and dry, good luck!