• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FISKY question

Fisky, your posts are always a wealth of information. This mornings posts mentioning bullheads got my attention--I thought I saw a bullhead in Bostic on Saturday but decided it must have been something else. Maybe not. But this post is really a search for help. I bought a little cabin on Bostic that has a really neat boathouse except it has a serious lean. It is on pilings and in danger of tipping to the north. I'm clueless on piling maintenance but see quite a few piling docks in the area. Any experience or thoughts on pilings?<BR>Thanks, Steve

srj, don't know much about that piling thing but there is a guy up there that has a pontoon barge type thing that does repairs and what not. Not sure but I think the DNR has all kinds of hoops one must jump thru for any kind of shoreline mods and what not. Is your place N or S of the bridge?<P>I'm sure what you saw was a Bullhead, the bridge on 8 over Bostic is a spot folks fish. Should'nt be too much longer and you'll see folks out there after dark fishing them....If their not already.<P>fiskyknut

Fisky, it's north--third place past Walleye Retreat. Thanks for the tip on the guy with the barge. I don't think any shoreline stuff is needed. I'm hoping the pilings can be straightened. Not enough water to use the boathouse now but it would be slick to park under a roof! I think the DNR would like to have boathouses go away and worse case scenrario, I guess this one would.<P>I will be watching for balls of little bullheads--the little guys school up real tight early season. Walleyes love little bullheads--at least on the Mississippi. If I find some on the shoreline I will give em a try.<BR>Thanks

Sweet to have a place on the water eh. I have a trailer right over by Wheelers, not on the water though. I wish! I found a baby bullhead in the baitbucket once last year while fishing near Elm point, did'nt last long on the spinner, got eaten right away! I've used bigger ones over on the Red for Catfish and have gotten Walleyes on them there.<P>With the water still low it'd probably be a good time to work on that boathouse of yours, then you'll be stylin' when we finally get the water back to a more reasonable level. Looks to me to be about 6 or 8 inches up from last year anyways, thats a good thing.<P>fiskyknut

Fiskyknut. I heard you had a place over on Wheelers, but I asked a few people I know and they couldn't say where you are there. I'm on Burr Oak Rd across from the Taxidermy, 3343. Stop in sometime if you see a white Denali in the driveway...Kaz

SRJ: Sounds like you're going to enjoy the place on Bostic. Hope you do.<P>Two weeks ago I was up there and looked at a place on Long Point with Pat LaValla from North Border Realty. There was quite a bit of erosion on the shore line and he told me that the State will rip-rap and pay for shore line erosion. He is on the board and application would have to be made to them. I know this doesn't straighten the pilings on the boat house, however if erosion is part of the problem contributing to the pilings started to lean that may be an option once everything is straightened out to contact him. Perhaps putting in the rip-rap would prevent this problem in the future. As I mentioned he can be reached at North Border Realty in Baudette, his office is directly across the street from the Conoco Station. Just a thought. Continue to enjoy your new hideaway. Bill

Bill, it's all supersoft bottom in Bostic. I don't know if you actually looked at the place I bought but the boat house is no cherry. But a roof for the boat would be really neat. But if it has to go it won't be the end of the world. As it sits it is big time ugly. Scott from Cyrus gave me the name of a fellow who has (or had) a barge and did some dock/piling work. I haven't been able to get hold of him yet.<P>I looked at a couple places with Pat over the last year. You might think about taking a drive along the lake by Sandy Shores and Birch Beach--and any other lake roads you can find. Now and then people put out their own "for sale by owner" signs. I'll let you know it I see anything. Stop by if you are in the area.

Steve: No I did not go look at your place when I was there as I knew it was sold. We were up around Sandy and Birch as well, nice areas. In fact we were still driving up and down roads at 8pm that night looking for that "perfect spot". I would be interested in the type of spot you have, not in spending big money for a summer retreat. In a couple of years when I retire and could spend a summer there then it would be a totally different situation. Had lunch with KAZ yesterday. Apparently there might be a spot in his area. Pat didn't mention it when we were there however. Bill

Bill, and SJR if you don't mind since you have just been in the market what kind of prices did you have to give to get some land on LOW. I am getting tired of paying resorts and hotels I am ready to get start looking for some land myself up there. I figure if I have lome land up there then I could go up every weekend in the winter.<P>------------------<BR>Grip it and Rip it<P>IFFWalleyes<BR>I Fish For Walleyes<BR>iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

IFF, 65k. It had been at 80. Some think I paid way too much. I don't--lots of upside to me. Small lot, no beach, no problem. Wake up on one of the best walleye lakes anywhere, less than 2 hours from home, minutes from the early ice fishing and early open water fishing, walking distance to Friday night tacos at Ken-Mar-Kee, ducks, geese. Not too long till retirement--hope I can put off most maintenance till then, lol. I looked at several other cabins in the 75-115k range over the last year. Off water stuff comes up now and then too. Small bare land tracts are usually available not far from the lake also. One of the Lavallas has some 5 acre (I think) tracts on #8 just before Ken-Mar-Kee. Ken-Mar-Kee has (or had) a couple nice trailers on the creek in the 30-40 range. Keep looking and good luck.

Iff: Steve has pretty well covered it in his post. I am still looking at this time. But the 75-100K range is about right. I can tell you from also looking at property in the Brainerd, Longville area, that it is much more affordable up there as well as having some of the greatest fishing in the State.<P>Steve: I don't think you overpaid for your spot. I remember when it first came out at 80K and I got to thinking about it. 65K I think you made a good deal. And by the way if I get up your way i will stop and say hi. Bill

Kaz, I will drop in on you sometime this season when you're up. Maybe opening weekend, you'll probably be up then eh.<P>Send me an email sometime when you get the chance......fiskyknut at yahoo.com<P>Best regards....Fisky