• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
walleyejon

?'s On fishing etc....

walleyejon

I've fished the lake quite a bit in the past, but always in someone else's boat.This year I finally have a boat big enough for the job, and will have it docked at Springsteel. Since I'll be up there as often as possible, I had a few questions I thought some of you could help me with.<P>1. I've never seen anyone use planer boards on LOW. Is there a reason they are not popular there?<P>2. What's the earliest anyone has ever fished the reefs with decent results?<P>3. Anyone fish the West side regularly? I'ld like to share info this summer.<P>4. Anyone have a place I could build a little cabin? Acreage not necessary, and can be up to 20 miles from Warroad.<P>5. I've lived in NW MN for 15 years now, and still don't know---Do Moral mushrooms grow up here? <P>Looking forward to your responses----and open water. <BR><P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

1tofish

The answer to your last question is, YES! But people hold their mushroom picking spots tighter than any of their fishing hot spots. Look for some state land with a good stand of trees and start hunting. You can ask around and you might find somebody to pinpoint some exact areas. Your profile says you live in Greenbush. I know of good spots East of you about 30 miles (Beltrami Forest). Good luck! <p>[This message has been edited by 1tofish (edited 04-14-2004).]

fiskyknut

1. I use them on occasion.<BR>2. Memorial weekend last year.<BR>3. I do.<BR>4. Lot's of small lot's here and there for sale up around here.<BR>5. Yes they do....Try Zippel bay state park.<P>fiskyknut

curt quesnell

Hi Walleyejon,<P>Planer boards arent so necessary on LOW for<BR>a couple of reasons. 1. Since you can only<BR>use one line per person you do not need a<BR>planer board to spread your lines out like<BR>you would if you were running 6 or 8 lines<BR>out of your boat trolling. 2. Since the<BR>water on LOW is fairly dark and stained the<BR>fish arent spooked so much by the boat moving<BR>over the top of them like they would be in <BR>a clear water lake, so again no reason to<BR>get the line out away from the boat.<P>I use them trolling in shallow water sometimes and will try them in deep water<BR>with leadcore this summer. It is worth<BR>trying and worth learning.<P>I know people who fish rocks on opening<BR>day with sometimes great results. I wish<BR>I knew them better. One of my goals for<BR>this year is to fish rocks much more and <BR>get some of my own secret spots.<P>I am based out of Springsteel too. My Dad<BR>and Brother are there also, they fish the<BR>west side exclusively.<P>There are lots of places for sale within<BR>20 miles of the lake. Shop around and I<BR>bet you find a small lot to start with. Check<BR>with the realtors.<P>The only thing I know about mushrooms is that<BR>I love em.<P>See you at the lake<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

walleyejon

Thanks for the responses. You can look for me in a light tan Starcraft/ 115 Evinrude. I'll always have some pop and beer in the cooler, stop by for a couple. <BR>Curt--I'ld like to try the rocks early too. We can venture out together if you want. Maybe Opening Sunday??<P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

Fisky, when do the morels start popping up around there. I live in Nebraska and we are just starting to see a few down here.<P>Burly

curt quesnell

Walleyejon,<P>My youngest son graduates from MSU on Friday<BR>of opening weekend. Something tells me that<BR>will Kybosh at least Saturday.<P>I will know more as the weekend gets closer.<P>The season is long we will get together and<BR>get some fishing done.<P>Keep checking in here on the website.<P>There will be a Fishing Minnesota Get <BR>Together again this summer. We are trying<BR>to come up with a date that will work. There<BR>will be more on this soon also.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

Lip RIPPER!

Curt, our thoughts will be with you opening weekend.

walleyejon

Curt,<BR>The youngest is graduating college?!?!? Congrats. I'm going to head out and try the rocks, I'll let you know how it goes. What time of year do you usually have a FM get together up there? I should be free most weekends until later in the summer when the golf tourneys start.<P>------------------<BR>Fish on gotta go--JON

curt quesnell

Here are the first trys at dates for a<BR>FM get-together.<P>May 22<P>June 19th<P>There were many who encouraged at later<BR>event last year. We went later and had <BR>a dozen fishers show up and traveled by<BR>water many miles to get fish.<P>This time we would like to try earlier and<BR>get in on the shoreline bite. This will<BR>encourage those with smaller boats since the<BR>fishing is very close.<P>We will probably be on the east side of the<BR>lake since Kaz's place is perfect and he is<BR>nice enough to let us have a big picnic in<BR>his yard.<P>I will make a new post on this so put your<BR>thoughts on the new thread.<P>Thanks ripper, I will miss fishing opening<BR>day but it will be a very good day Friday.<BR>Adam got his 4 year degree in 4 years and I<BR>hear that is getting rare.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio<p>[This message has been edited by curt quesnell (edited 04-17-2004).]

pounnder

I do use planner boards. Curt is right, the water is dark and the fish do not spook as easy - but with the use of boards, as trollers know, you can spread out your lures and "strain" more water. Remember that the fish live in a 3 demensional world. Good luck!

fiskyknut

Hey Burly, sorry for the late reply! I'd say they start poppin good right around the Walleye opener usually. Once the Popples start budding good a guy can usually start finding a few. They sure are tasteeeee!!!<P>fiskyknut

1DIRTBALL

Another good sign of when morels should be popping out is when you see the first sign of purple on your lilac bush.<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!