• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What a week. Weather was unstable most of the week and water temps shot up to 79 degrees in some spots. Storms rolled through the region daily and day time temps rose into the 80's.

We had a tough time finding the walleye seemed like they were eating with straws. Many other boats reported similar activity.

We did find quite a few decent perch some smallies and a few pike. But the eyes were very slow. We used crawlers leeches and minnows even trolled for suspended fish in the deeper waters. Found most of the concentrations of fish on the submurged reefs on both the east and west ends of the lake.

Hey Guideman thanks for the tip on Frazer bay, the wife landed a 15 and 19" smallie that night wink.gif

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

[This message has been edited by BD (edited 07-23-2001).]

We stayed at Vermilion Dam Lodge and fished through the channel near the resort, we had really good luck. My dad and I limited out or came close every time that we went out. It was probably the best fishing we have ever had on vermilion. I outfished my dad with worms about 3:1. The larger fish were also hitting on worms. We caught 1 walleye that was 3-4 pounds on every occasion. It was a blast! Anyone know of a cabin or property for sale on the lake...Preferably near Niles Bay?

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

I guess you must have eaten alot of fish that week? I'm sure you wouldn't
go home over your limit...would you?

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-218-753-2612

Hi Bob, I'm glad to hear that the tip
helped you out...I hope you had a good
time and that you"ll be coming back to
see us again... smile.gif

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-218-753-2612

Guideman...We don't fish like that.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

[This message has been edited by ELW (edited 07-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-26-2001).]

You said you got your limit every day, that would be about 60 walleyes.

When you say you got your limit.....I assume that you're keeping the fish....As far as I can tell...that would put you 48 fish over your limit....so did you or didn't you..?

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com
1-218-753-2612

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-26-2001).]

No, we didn't break the law. We brought home our limit of 12. I also wrote you an email.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

[This message has been edited by ELW (edited 07-26-2001).]

This all seems rather inflammatory!
All over a choice of words.
This string should probably be locked.

Or taken completely off line. I am glad someone was able to catch eyes on a consistent basis.

I understand Guideman's point. We all know that this is an outstanding fishery and too would like to preserve it. Having locals like the guides serve as a point of assistance for vacationers like myself is great. Many of the lakes I fish in Wisconsin do not foster this kind of guidance (at least not for free). I like everyone else likes to boat fish consistently and would love to have that opportunity when I come back up next year, that is why I elected to participate in this forum. C&R is good and we all know it, so if you are indeed practicing it, which I am sure you are, just say it. We all would appreciate it.

Too bad I did not go up to the dam area sounds like I could have had some consistent action too.

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

[This message has been edited by BD (edited 07-26-2001).]

Hey Bob sorry you didnt have more action but it sounds like you found a great place to stay and enjoyed yourself. send me a email as I have lost my adress book due to a virus assited crash. have reformated and configured and am now up and running.
CJ

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Guideman is in the hospital and will not be back for about a week.

ELW, don't worry about it. Guideman thought, by your post that you were possibly poaching walleyes.

When you say you limited out everyday, that typically means that you caught your limit, kept them and cleaned them. If a person can eat 6 walleyes a day for their entire stay, more power to them.

Odds are, if someone was limiting out everyday they are quite possibly over their possession limit.

However, we may have been better served by asking if that is what you meant rather than someone automatically thinking the worst.

We could have all done without the inflammatory remarks.

So, let's just forget about it and have fun here. That's what we're here for.

It is nice to see your posts ELW, keep on posting.

Hey ELW,

Just curious were you fishing near the dam? What was the water temps like and what were you using? That might have been the key to your sucess.

PS. Thanks Rick on your response. Hope Guideman is doing well and hope for a speedy recovery.

------------------
Good Fishing

Bob

We didn't limit out every time, but I did. My dad didn't. We fed 10 people with our catches so hopefully that explains it. I think that it's called knot's island, not real sure on the name. Anyway...if you drive from the dam through the "channel" the island is on the left, go through the channel, and on the left side there is a little bay. We fished from the 2 white marker buoys down to where the bay starts. If you dont understand where I am talking about i can draw a picture and email it to you. The temp of the water was 78-81 Degrees depending on morning, afternoon, or evening. We fished anywhere from 12-19 feet of water, but stayed on that shoreline and went back and forth. I just happened to come across the spot while trolling around the island one morning. Tuesday night a local was fishing there with his son and he said that it was there "secret" spot. Said the fishing had been really slow there for about 3 weeks and it was now starting to pick up. He said the first time they were there the smallest fish they caught was 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure if he was telling the truth or not, but anyway it is a good spot. We were lindy riggin' it with a 3-5 foot snell and a floating jig. I was using 1/2 crawlers my dad was using leeches.

Other people at the resort were having some luck fishing through the channel on the east side and the south west side of the island. Also on the north side of the island, near the white buoys, there is a real small island. We caught a couple fish there one morning, and there was one boat there every night and they had some decent fish. Everyone was trying to steal our spot, but its too small for more than two boats. Hope someone up there can give it a shot, we only make it up there once a year.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

ELW,
That is a great area to fish , we will be around there usually at least thru august, always some nice fish, glad you did well and sounds like you had a good time...see you on the water

------------------

Garys Guide Service
[email protected]
218-744-3158

Hi all, just had to say that I was just
playing the devils advocate, no harm no
foul... smile.gif Over harvest is problem on
many of our lakes, I"m just looking out
for Vermilion.... smile.gif

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]