• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello guideman, I don't mean to rub it in but things in the city have turned for the better. I was working on the Lund last week, kicking tires, cleaning carpet, adding things that I thought I needed, but probably don't. Feeling the 60 degree heat beating on my back knowing there was still ice on the lakes. But all my pain and suffering has subsided.

I have a friend who lives on Christmas Lake in Excelsior, **** near connected to Minnetonka, and he informed me of the occurence that where taking place this weekend. It seems as though the Gods had shined some special sunlight on certain lakes and freed their spirits of this unholy frozen hell and unleashed a birth of fish freenze. Open bays were a godsent. The Crappies were flopping. I know grandma was upset to see me leaving Easter dinner so early but she saw how hung over I looked, but what she doesn't know won't kill her.

Guideman hold in there, the day will come. Just remember how sweet it will be. I sure hope you or anyone else where not catching anything up there this weekend(meaning no one has been able to go on the ice). I know I am getting a little long winded here(and I hope some people can laugh at this) but I thought I would share my first experience of the year and I hope everyones comes real soon.

From the Goose who hopes to migrate north real soon.

Talk to me guideman,

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

Goose,
I dont think guideman wakes up long enough right now to even see open water!I think he wakes up on may 11,just to get a head start.The only open water ive seen is either in my driveway,or the water line that went kabloom a little while ago!Maybe Ill go back to sleep too.....grrrrrr on this weather!
opener soon

www.garytheguide.com
[email protected]

Hi goose, I was feeling much better
until we got 8" of snow last night.
The mouth of the Pike river is open
and the river is eating it's way into the bay, we should have open water in front of my place by the weekend. smile.gif
The snow will melt and the season will open, I know this to be true.
I'm glad you had a chance to get rid
of those winter demons. smile.gif

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Hey Gary, I was only up long enough
for one reply. smile.gif
Did you get that old boat of yours
fixed yet?

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Guideman,
That hamster idea you had for a trolling motor ,wont save you money,they die every day.....and no it isnt.
sunny day!!!!
gary"the"guide

Hey goose, I can now look out my window and see open water, it went
fast. The main lake is still mostly
ice covered but it is very dark, and
with the wind and rain it should go
well before the opener. smile.gif

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Are we talking all of Pike Bay out...or just the part of Pike Bay in front of your place?

Hi Tj, about half the bay is open, I
checked out the east end of the bay
early in the day and it was starting to break up.
If the wind continues to blow, the
rest of the bay should be open soon.

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Hi Tom, we have about 2" of snow on the ground and may get 3" more!! frown.gif
There is water everywhere, except on
the lake. Pike bay is the only area that has open water! frown.gif

I'm Bummin!!

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Guideman & GK:

If this weather does not clear up pretty soon I am going to volunteer to walk the point again, because I will have to kill something!!!!! I have been watching the mine pits to see if the ice has turned black, but no such luck. The ice has not even pulled away from the walls yet over here. This white #$%*@^&$ sucks!

GOOD FISHIN---DLR

Last night I I just caught the tail end of a conversation on Bear Facts and Fish Tails on KSTP Am 1500. On ot the callers said he just got back from Vermilion and said there is about 2 feet of ice on the lake and won't be open on the opener. I sure hope he is wrong. So much for global warming!

They also talked about walleye slot limits. I didn't hear much of it, but apparently the DNR does not think it will work with Vermilion. Anyone else hear about anyhing about this?

Spring is just around the corner!??!!??

Rob

Wish I would have heard that show...who was doing the talking from up here?What I have heard is because they stock the lake they say it wont work,what I say is try it and see if it does.Slots work everywhere else!The dnr doesnt even have an outdoorsman who runs their show!A guy has to have his own slot up here,most of the guides do...its just plain silly notto have one.Politicos sure dont listen to us......
www.garytheguide.com
[email protected]

------------------

The Dnr study showed no improvment
in the number of larger fish.

They suggested a minimum size limit,
(15") would do more to increase the size of the average fish.

There is information on the results of the study on the DNR website, I think JKrash posted that info in another thread.

They also suggested that it would take a minimum of 5 years before any
noticable change in the population.

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by guideman (edited 04-23-2001).]

Hello,
Simply compare Kabetogama's creel surveys to Vermilion's. Both lakes are similar being a Canada shield lake, but since the slot was imposed on Kabby, it has seen a marked/significant improvement in the average size walleye! It definitely can't hurt the lake, so I'm for catching 18 inchers over 14 inchers any day!
WOOOOPS, way off subject! Sorry! Good luck this Spring Terry and Gary! Jim W

We live in Chicago and have a place on Ely Island. What does the ice look like up there? Does anybody think we can get across the lake from Pike Bay this weekend? Any info would be appreciated.

Hi tyguy, I just took a drive over to Mckinley park and Big Bay is open
as far as the eye can see! smile.gif

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Hello Chicagolanders, we are getting
alot of high winds and warm weather
this week. It looks like the bay will be open by the weekend. smile.gif

------------------

Guideman.
Ace Guide Service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

Thanks for checking Guideman! It's going to be nice to get back up there. With the late ice-out this year, how well do you think the fishing is going to be next weekend? This is going to be my second opening weekend of fishing up there. I've done most of my fishing up there during the summer months, but not much in the spring. I know Pike Bay is always a hot spot, but I know it will be closed. What other kind of areas do I want to look for when fishing for walleyes? Thanks for your help.

I think Vermilion is one of the most
consistant opening day lakes in the
whole state!!....... smile.gif

I have no reason to think that we will not have another fine opening day, on beautiful lake Vermilion.. smile.gif

Cliff and I have put some tips for opening day on another post, look at
the opening day tactics thread for
some more info.

------------------

Ace guide service.
[email protected]
www.aceguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by guideman (edited 05-02-2001).]