• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late August, Early Sept Fishing

Hey guys, my brother in law is trying to plan a trip for late Aug. or early Sept. Last year we stayed a Duck Bay Lodge in early June and had great success. We were wondering what the fishing is like for walleyes, smallies, and northern? What can we expect for conditions? What is the best method and locations for finding all of these fish? Thanks, Paul

Hey Paul,<P>I wish I could help, but our group is heading up to LOW for the first time this summer. We're going up the last week in June and since you've had good success in early June, I thought I'd ask you the same questions. What is the fishing like for walleyes, smallies, and northern? What can we expect for conditions? What is the best method and locations for finding all of these fish? How did you guys do? I appreciate any advice you can give us. Thanks.<P>Greg

MrWalleyee<BR>Glad you had good success at Duck Bay.<BR>I would go back to Duck Bay, you already<BR>know your way around the lake.<BR>Thats haff the battle...<BR>Weed lines for pike. Rubble for walleys.<P>Good luck<BR>fastkaw<P><P>------------------<BR>Born to fish just<BR>don't ask me to eat one

Hey fastkaw it was nice meeting you guys up there! Tyler had a blast! He cleaned house on all of our bets on who would catch the biggest fish of each species. I think I ended up owing him $25. Not bad for only being 10 years old. <P>Knowing your way around is a huge amount of your success. If you don't know your way around, hire a guide for at least one day. All I did was pay attention to the types of structure that he put us on and then found structure like it the next 2 days. <BR>I am no expert on the lake so I don't feel comfortable giving advice on what you should do in late June. I can tell you what we did and maybe that will give you a little help. We started out fishing points and little bays with rubble in them the first day with the guide with success. The next day I did the same sort of thing with some success. THe second night Tyler and I went out after dinner and fished a reef that was just out in front of the lodge. It was close and it was raining pretty good so I didn't want to go far. It turned out to be one of the best 2 hours of fishing that I had up there. Walleyes, smallies, northern, and even a smaller muskie that tried to jump out of the water and eat the 10" smallie that Tyler was just pulling out of the water. The next day we fished reefs all day. After talking to the guide, he said that the walleyes were probable just starting to stack up on those reefs where they stay for most of the summer. My go to bait was a jig and minnow. GO FIGURE! Gold was by far our best color. I highly recommend the Fireball jigs in gold. If we weren't getting snagged in the rocks, we weren't catching walleyes. My GUESS would be to look for some rock reefs that are just out from shallow spawning areas with deeper water around it. <P>For smallies we just threw crankbaits up to the shorelines. Again, rubble shorelines. When I say we threw up to shore I mean we threw RIGHT up to shore. You usually got bit withing 10' of shore. Use cranks that dive quickly to about 5'. You might get caught up on shore once in awhile, but we had to throw up there to get bit. <P>Northerns we didn't fish for that much. When we did it was weed lines like fastkaw said. Spinnerbaits worked best. <P>Fastkaw, Tyler caught a 4-5 pound largemouth bass on one of your spinnerbaits that he bought up there. I told him that I would buy that spinner from him, he told me "YAAAA, for $50" I almost gave it to him too! When are you guys heading up this year fastkaw?<p>[This message has been edited by mrwalleyee (edited 04-04-2004).]

<BR>mrwalleyee!<BR>ILL be there May 14<BR>I was hoping for a late spring, or at lest<BR>a slow ice off... The longer it takes for<BR>the ice to go out the BETTER the pike<BR>fishing is.<BR>If I could get up there the day the ice<BR>went out, Id be in slimer heaven.!!!<P>If I were going up to duck bay in the <BR>fall it would be around the last weak or two of Sept..<BR>After the algae bloom.<BR>The weather is just like in the spring.<BR>You just never know what you will get.<BR>Take all the warm clothes you wear.<BR>

Thanks Bruce! I wish that I could head up that late in Sept. but I can't because my wife is due to have our second little fishing buddy on Sept. 9th. I don't think that she would appreciate me takining a week long fishing vacation and leaving her with a 3 year old and an infant. I think she phrased it something like this, "If you plan on going with my brother fishing, you better plan on making it a VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY long trip."<P>Everyone that was going to go is pu$$yfooting around with committing so I said screw it. I couldn't go any later than the first week or 2 in August anyway. Oh well, maybe next year. Thanks for your help anyways guys