• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LOOKING FOR SMALLIES

Being relatively new to the LOW area, I've lived here less than a year, I could sure use some help targeting one of my favorite fish. Yes, I'm talking about smallmouth bass! There is nothing to compare to the smashing hit of of a big, old bronzeback. Sort of like hooking into the hind end of a running deer! They are especially fun to target in small rivers, which is how I got hooked on fishing for them. Can anyone give me a clue on where to start looking for them on LOW? Mind you, I'm not asking for your personal honey hole. Just a suggestion of a general area. Anybody interested in going out and targeting smallies with me can email me at:[email protected]<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!

Well Dirtball you'll have to travel a ways. You can get them up around the angle in US waters. Canadian waters up there are full of them in places. The Rainy river has a good population of them too. A guy does get a few now and then along the S. shores. I get a few near Graceton reef, a few off of 12 mile, and a few out of 4mile bay each year as incidentals while Walleye fishing.<P>Fisky

The Clementson area can be dynamite in a month or a little more. Opener through mid June is island time- fishing out of Morson or boating in that direction can be great-Dawson, Painted and Split Rock, and that general area has some wonderful smallie fishing. I didn't do great last year- low water years seem to be tougher for me. But find a rocky shoreline with rocks the size of your fist to basketball sized rocks and your in business.<P>------------------<BR>Scoot<P>So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

#1 Dirt: The Rainy River is a good bet. Check out where the Rapid River dumps into the Rainy. There is a launch up that way, east of Baudette....Another Smallie hunter Kaz

A few are around the long pt area as well. There is quite a few up north of garden by crowduck islands. That is a long ride if you have a smaller boat though. <P>Kupcho

Many thanks to all of you that responded. Especially you KAZ. It sounds to me like you gave up one of your honey holes, which you certainly didn't have to do. Again , I thank everybody for the excellent post's. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Kaz, how about you and I hook up on open water and really give the smallies h***?<P>------------------<BR>YOU CAN'T [PoorWordUsage] AN OLD [PoorWordUsage]'ER!

Anywhere you have shallow rocks you will<BR>have Smallies on LOW. It doesnt matter<BR>where you are.<P>Any of the reef tops, any rock pile close<BR>to shore is a good place to hunt. I dont<BR>fish em but any time we are pulling Walleyes<BR>off of the shallow rocks, usually with Wave<BR>Buster bobbers, we catch Smallmouth too.<P>Long Point is a great area for this.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.