• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

balards report 3/11, 3/12

Fished out of ballards thursday and friday and the fishing was pretty slow. Three of us kept 12 on thurs, and 7 on fri. We threw back about ten smaller fish that other groups were keeping. i caught two 18 inch saugers and those were the biggest fish kept in fouur days the bombadier drivers said. We were in 28 feet of water. We picked the two worst days of the year to go. thursday it was cold and very windy. friday was ok but the fish didn't bite. I caught most of the fish because i had the locator. the fish were about six inches or less off of the bottom. you could jig some up, they were the 11 inchers. the biger 15-16 inch fish were holding really tight. it was still fun though.

We were also at Ballard's arriving Thursday evening and fishing Friday and Saturday. Friday was slow for us. Me and the old man kept 11 Friday and one jumbo. Saturday was much better during the morning snow. We kept 10 between 8:30 and noon. Then it slowed during the afternoon/early evening. We ended up with 13 "keepers in our book" that day along with another jumbo even bigger yet. You're right about people keeping the dinks though. A lot of people stretch that tail out and if it goes across the bucket it goes in the bucket. Our largest fish was a 16.5" sauger for both days. Well we managed to keep 4 short of our limit for 2 days. Dad did pull in a little snake and a big pout that he was hoping was that 30"er he was looking for. It was a good trip fishing wise and a great weekend for all of the accomodations.

Trust me you dident pick the worst 2 days of the year too go, we did. Me and 3 other guys went out of Ballards saturday and sunday. Saturday was slow, we caught a lot of little fish so if they went across the bucket we kept them, ended up keeping 12 walleye/saugers 2 perch and a tulibee. The fish were small, the 2 biggest that day was a 20 inch walleye and a 15 inch sauger, all the rest were between 12-14 inches. The 2 perch were nice though. I thought we did bad but the bombadeer guy said we did the best, numbers and size wise than anybody else that day. We were the late trip so we missed that good morning bite on saturday. I thought the fishing couldent get worse than it did, sunday we kept 8 walleye/saugers and 3 perch. The biggest fish was a 17 inch sauger than all the rest were between 12-14 inches. I caught 6 fish all day and we had more fish than most people that day. The fishing was real bad. Tried everything and nothing would work, ended up doing the best both days with a size 3 hammered silver swedish pimple with a minnow head and a bobber rig with a orange hook. Everyone says gold works great up there but both times I have went it hasent worked, I have got about 5 fish total on gold spoons/jigs up there.

Yea my dad and uncle tried everthing and nothing seemedd to make much difference. I caught the bigger fish and i had on a pink head with a glow white boddie that i was using at red lake on the way up (which didn't catch any crappies, but the walleyes and the twelve pound northern i caught seemed to like)I also tried a purple hook and caught three fish right away and then nothing after that. I don't like how you get picked up at 4 or 5 oclock at Ballards. the best fishing is right before dark. they should pick you up at six thirty in nthe spring since it is still light

I know you get out there after the morning bite and picked up before the evning bite, it doesent make sense. On saturday we caught like 3 fish the last 5 minutes then we had too leave. They should leave you out there later in like march cause it doesent get dark till 6.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.