• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing report

Well I spent the last 3 days on LOW fishing out of Zipple Bay. Best fishing was in 20-24 feet of water.. 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.. we could hardly keep up with two rods.. They are very light biters though.. A Marcum LX3 is a must!.. You will have to jig them off the bottom and set the hook at the lightest nibble.. Got nice Eyes and Sauger every day even some nice Pout.<P>The roads were a mess but now they have frozen over again for the time being..Careful getting off the roads to park and fish.. if you break through the crust into that slush your stuck.. <P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442<p>[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 03-15-2004).]

Wiskers: Thanks for your update. Certainly sounds like the migration back to shallower water is under way. Headed up next week and the week after for Thursday, Friday and Sat. We'll be over Pine Island. Hope the weather holds off just a little bit longer. continued good luck to you and hang on. Bill

Ya the big ticket is to look in water from 20-25 feet.<P>Late afternoon is really turning on. Be set up and fishing by at least 2:00. If your going to be out there early start in the same area, it will be a little slow at first but it will pick up quiet fast.<P>Good fising.<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442

Thanks. We fish Riverbend houses when I'm up there. We don't go mobil. They have always done a good job for us and we've always been happy with the results. I talked to them last week and they have brought their houses back shallow as well.<P>Have you heard any reports from anyone who may have ventured to Knight Island recently. Glenn said a bomber trip up that way might be possible. Perhaps the shallow bit you talk about is just as good a plan however. Bill

All I know is out deeper you have a better chance of bigger fish but your numbers are down. <P>As of now the smaller fish, 1-2# are quite abundant in the shallows. They are good eaters to boot. <P>Oh thats right, I missed another FM event.. sigh sigh.. This darn full time job is really getting in the way of my fishing and roaming to meet fellow FMers... <P>The hot jig for me in two days was a glow jig with pink tip. I had two but lost one.. That is the only rod that I was able to keep fish hitting consistantly. Gonna have to stock up on more of those.<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442

I'm going up to the lake of the woods on the 24 to 27. It will be my first time ever going there. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of hook too use and bait to use?<P><BR> thank

Curt: Thanks for the info. I just talked with my son, his friend took his dad up last week. They were out of Riverbend over Pine in 22'-24' of water and really caught some nice fish. Several released over 19". He said the fish that came in were agressive and you didn't have to play chase with them as much.<P>Oledrake: If you check any of the prior posts that have been going on you will find a lot of the guys have posted the baits and jigs that have been successful. All of these will work in late March as well. You will probably have to experiment a bit to find the hot one. Gold is always good, but you'll see from the prior posts that there are more than one option. Keep watching this site, the guys who were up the past few days should be posting their results. Hope you have a good trip in a couple of weeks, where are you fishing out of? Good Luck and hang on. Bill

Oldguide: Sounds like the shallow bite is starting to pick up. Glad you had the chance to get over to the weigh on. Sounds like a good time was had. Where was the weighin at? Bill

Chubs and a glow jig ... Gold is a good color for LOW.. however I was still doubling my catches on pink and white glow.<P>Believe me I tried every jig in my box on the other rod when I lost my last pink and white. The fish are very agressive but I did have to tease them off the bottom but when they came up it was like lightning.<P>Earlier in the day I was having most luck with an Angel eye, glow green. But that stopped around 3:00pm.<P><BR>Won't be long and cast cast cast cast.. ..........<BR><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442

Some of the entrants in the FM deal Saturday<BR>went to Knight on snowmobiles. It wasnt<BR>any better than anything else. The bite<BR>didnt seem to be great anywhere and there<BR>were some good fishers out trying to connect.<P>It can be very good but it is always<BR>such an adventure to get there.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

bturck, We got up for the weigh in for the tourney yesterday. I talked with some that fished Knight. They saw fish on thier vex's all the time. I didn't see anything in thier box over 15". (they went by snowmobile). I'm sure when everyone gets back home this board will really lite up!! It's been said before but it's alot of fun to put some faces with names we've been reading for a long time! This is the first tourney I,ve been at but certainly wont be the last. It looks like Rick and crew have really put together a great event. My compliments!!! Pat<P>------------------<BR><B>Old Guide Charters</B><BR>Lake of the Woods<BR><A HREF="http://fishingmn.com/oldguidecharters/" TARGET=_blank>http://fishingminnesota.com/oldguidecharters/</A><BR>Call Toll Free:1-800-952-(9484)

Bill,<BR>The weigh-in was right after you crossed Pine on Adrians Rd. They had the tent set up there with the American flag flying high. Lots of people that came by looked like they wondered what was going on. One of these days I'm going to get into a bunch of 19+ inchers to CPR like you're talking about. Only time I've ever caught one over 20" on LOW was 23",25", & 27" all in the same day. Otherwise, every other trip we've taken has been a bunch of eaters with nothing even close to 20". Kind of weird, but oh well.

Fished three miles out from Morris Point in 30 feet on Saturday and Sunday. Fishing was slow and the fish were tiny. We threw everything we had at 'em and it did not seem to matter. A real light bite. Caught a ton of tullibees and only one, yes one sauger the whole trip. The rest were walleyes under 13 inches, with the majority around 10-11 inches. The worst trip by far I have ever had one the big lake. Oh well, that's fishin'.

I was up Sat. and sund morning. Fishing sucked. One walleye. It was the worst fishing I have ever had there. Of course we were too lazy to move to a different spot. The weather didn't help matters any. Oh well, it was still fun.

I suppose that weather front did not help the fishing at all.. that is too bad. <P>Thurs & Fri were my best fishing I have ever had on LOW.. Nothing real big for Eyes but the 1 1/2#ers were hitting every other time. I just wish I had time to head back up there before the ice gets bad.. Got a report from some buddys that fished up there Monday and they went where I was and still got some fish, but not the numbers like I did. Must have been lunch break for the fish when I was there.. ??<P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442

After the Ice Fishing Tournament weigh in we went out to about 25' and caught a few keeper walleyes but we moved in to 11' of water on the north side of the Island and caught a 2 keeper Walleyes and Justin Kjos caught and released a 8.1 pounder. We were using Ice Buster Bobbers with a plain hook which worked pretty good but the 8.1 was caught with a gold Angel Eye Spoon! Bruce Mosher<P>------------------<BR>Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Wow Bruce, now that is what keeps us going back after a slow day of fishing.... who picked the spot Bruce? Or did you toss up one of them ICE BUSTERS and drill where it landed. That is what I did on Friday when I landed on the mother load.<P><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://wiskersguidingservice.com" TARGET=_blank>Wiskers Guiding Service</A><BR>Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes<BR>Crookston, MN<BR> [email protected]<P>218-280-0442