• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

secret weapon???

I'll be heading up to LOW this Tuesday. Other than the usual gold, chartruese and plain hook, has anyone had luck using anything else for the walleyes and sauger? If so i was going to pick it up on the way up there. You can NEVER have too much stuff in the tackle box!!!!! Thanks for any help! grin.gif<P>SPUD

Hey Spud Bar,<BR>I'm giving my new shiny Chubby Darter a try this weekend. Of course its Gold. I've caught some nice walleyes on my perch colored one out on Devils Lake. We'll see what happens. At $6 a lure, hope a big pike doesn't get away with it.

SHHH, don't tell anyone but I wouldn't go with out the large green Ratfinkee.<P>------------------<BR>Will fish for work<BR>Brian Rogers

Angel Eyes....Hammered gold, all red glow, or firetiger..tipped with a minnow head. Let the fish tell you which color. As of the last season or so it is now my "go to" set up. I do have to say these are the real deal.....

The Angel Eye Sr. in the hammered gold or glow red outproduces everything else for me. I will tell you that a white glow Pro Varmint did produce a 9and a halfer for my buddy last year in late March.<BR>Dog-Eye

Week and a half ago when were were there many of the lures mentioned here worked. My son picked up some nice Sauger on a silver Zip Jig tipped with minnow head. White and Chartreause Angel Eyes also did the trick. It seemed changing lures would pick some fish up and then die off, so we changed a lot. Good luck with your trip, and hang on. Bill

THE "RED FATBOY" BY TECHNIGLO IS THE HOTTEST THING I OWN. I HAVE NOW HAD 3 CONSECUTIVE TRIIPS THERE WITH LIMITS ON LOW AND URL ALL WITHOUT EVER GOING TO THE BOX FOR ANYTHING ELSE. TOTALY UNIVERSAL AND SUCCESSFUL! GOTTA GLOW IT GOOD THOUGH, I USE A FLASHER(LIKE A CAMERA)AND NOTHING WORKS AS WELL.

Last year I outfished everybody in my group and at the resort with a hammered silver swedish pimple, size 3. I even got a 29 inch, 17 inch girth walleye on it. I heard gold was a good color but couldent get anything with it so I switched to my Mille Lacs slayer and killed em.

Thanks everyone for spilling all your secrets!!! I'm sure my wallet will be empty when i leave Mills Fleet Farm tomorrow. What the wife don't know won't hurt!!! LOL wink.gif

Get allot of the mentioned lures in different colors and then the key to catching fish is to keep changing your lure. If you go more than 15 min. without a fish change your color or type of lure. I have has some luck with the gold chubby darter but the best lures are jigging spoons like angel eyes, and crushers. You will get some fish with swedish zits but they aren't my favorite same with jigging raps.<P>------------------<BR>Grip it and Rip it<P>IFFWalleyes<BR>I Fish For Walleyes<BR>[email protected]

I have to agree with some of the other posts above. The angel eyes in glow red and hammered gold have been my favorite. Also, JB Lures - Pro Varmint (the one with the little chain and propellar) has done some serious damage.<P>------------------<BR>jig, jig, jig....hop, hop, hop.

I like the Blue Fox Tingler and the Williams Wobbler in gold and I put some red Prizm Tape on it. Bring some 1/8th and 1/16th oz. gold and pink jigheads for the finicky type. Also the Blue Fox Rattle spoon catches some nice fish. At times I have done well on a med sized orange zit. Chubby darters will catch fish but the Northerns cant get enough of them. Glow red Northland buckshots as well as glow perch.<BR>This should keep ya bussy for 1 trip.

Well....Went and done it at fleet farm today!! I should probably stay at LOW a week just so i get a chance to use everything. Thanx again for all the ideas. I just hope i can prove ya'll were right!! wink.gif 62 hours and i'm counting the minutes till i leave!! I will let everyone know how i did on your suggestions.<P>SPUD<P>PSST.......your bobber's down

small gold or perch glow devils and swedish pimples with only the head or body of a minnow worked well this weekend. They wanted nothing to do with the larger spoons it seemed. Tried the whole minnow on the spoons and they didn't like that either. Tried AE's/ buckshots and never got hit. The smaller spoons were the ticket. Red glow lures failed me for the first time as well.

<BR>Making my first ever trip up to LOW on Sunday, starting to get excited, was digging thru some of these older posts trying to get an idea on whats working for the walleyes on LOW and a common theme in the posts is 'keep changing lures till you find what they like'. <P>This is going to sound like a dumb question but I have to ask, are people using a small snap leader or are they retying every time they change? I've always avoided the leader when jigging because I was afraid it would inhibit the lure action... <P>Any advice for 'fast changes' would be appreciated.

Blackjack,<P>It all depends on the bite, if it's slow then you might want to stay away from the snap swivels. If the walleyes are aggressive then it doesn't seen to matter if you have a snap on or not. I like to use what's called a "quick" or a "fast" snap. It's fairly small and doesn't seem to bother the fish. And with Power Pro line it's much easier then cutting and re-tying all of the time.

Blackjack, quickest and easieast way for fast changes? Bring 6 rods rigged and ready!!! A few things I do.... My deadsticks and bobber rods I will direct tie those little jigobits and what nots, I don't use braids much in the winter so this is easy. I jig spoons alot, you need to use a swivel with these or your line will twist terribly. I use just a small crane type swivel tied to the end of my line. I switch spoons via the slitring on the spoon, attaching this to the swivel on my line, pretty quick changes this way. A guy could use a snapswivel but the plain swivel uses less 'hardware' to get the same effect. Heavier rods I run a swivel and about a 2 foot section of leader to a small interlock snap. This setup I'll use for larger spoons, bladebaits, and jigging Raps, and such.<P>Regards....Fisky<P>

I can retie a line in about 30 seconds, its not real hard. I always use spoons and never use a swivel and dont seem to have a problem with line twist.

You're best bet is at least three good rods with something different on each to throw at them when a fish is lookin but not real agressive. Also it really only takes seconds to retie with a Pallomar knot.<BR>Good Luck<BR>Dog-Eye

Thanks for the tips guys. My old eyes can't get a knot done in 30 seconds!!! I normally have 6-7 rods with me, a few of them will be rigged for crappies since we're stopping by Red on Sunday, I figure those can be my deadsticks on LOW. That gives me four to have different lures on. Will try a couple with snap swivels on also to see how that works.

BJ,<BR>Do you guys have sleds?<BR>We'll be up there Saturday, might be able to give you some spots, but you'll need transportation other than a truck.

<BR>Tom, Thanks for the offer, but no we don't have sleds. Actually we'll be going out of Ballards resort, hope they get us on some fish! Looking forward to it, first time on LOW!!

BlackJack<BR> I have personally found the easiest way to quickly change out lures is withthe use of FasSnaps. They are a little U shaped clip that is tied on one end so your different lures just snap on or off. You can find them at Cabelas Or Gander usually in the Fly Fishing Dept. They are small so they don't interfer with the action of the lure or jig. They can withstand the pull of some pretty big fish without breaking. I have used these for years for quick changing jigs and use them exclusivly in winter fishing. They are about 4.50 for about 20. You'll know why they put that many in a package when your fishing partner sees how quickly you change out while he's still tieing. Havent broken any but have sure been asked to give plenty of them away. You might need your Specs for your old eyes the first time you tie one on, but not after that. Good luck on your trip.

I believe lowrox made that point some time ago but at any rate, Scheels also has fast snaps, they carry three sizes and cost $.99 for a pack of two- Have also heard reports on bigger fish may straighten the snap from time to time any word on that from anyone? hate to lose a 13 pound bourbot due to a weak and or faulty snap

I have never lost a fish due to the fastsnap opening up. I usually lose them at the bottom of the hole when my hook hits the ice. Especially with raps! Use a sterdy snap to your spoon and a small barrel swivel a couple feet up the line. I go fireline from there on.

Blackjack- Hey im going out of ballards this weekend too. Im fishing Saturday and sunday, I will be the 17 year old kid with all the fish. About 6 foot, slender, hansome looking lad, shorter hair. I hope the fish are biting this weekend. Ill see you up there, dont be afraid to ask for tips.

Tom <P>We will be up on the March 19-21 with sleds. Do you have the path to the promised land?<p>[This message has been edited by Braxt (edited 03-11-2004).]