• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Changing Limits On Lake Of The Woods- Rainy River

There is a meeting March 10th. at Border View Lodge about reducing limits on the Lake and or closing season on the river and Four Bay in spring or not letting anglers keep any but still be able to fish in the spring open water. I tried to get Sandy at Clementson Resort to post this on her site but looks like it wasn't as of today the 4th so I did! The meeting should be open to the public I hope. <BR>we need some big voices at the meeting but a peaceful meeting it has to be with no getting upset on the dnr's decision. Their decision will go into efect the 2006 season

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widetrack

• Buckets

• curt quesnell

• lakowoods

Next Wednesday eh? What time is this meeting? I may have to spin over that way to hear whats up these days.<P>I've caught wind of some of the reg change possibilities that may show up in the near future. Would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth.<P>fiskyknut

Oh Yeah as of now I heard it's 10:00 am. Steve here<p>[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-04-2004).]

The DNR's decision will be made on the outcome of this meeting?<P>Or have they already made a decision, and the meeting is to inform the public?

Hey Steve, you've changed your handle!!! 10am? I was hoping it would be that evening sometime, I'll try and make it anyways. If you hear different as far as the time let us know. How is the Shiner supply holding up over your way? Plenty to last awhile yet?<P>fiskyknut

Is the meeting on the 10th an informative one to just tell us what they have already decided, or will they be taking comments and suggestions from those in attendence? <BR> I personally hope they don't do for Lake of The Woods what they have done to Mill Lacs.

They had a meeting a few weeks ago but not many attended. not sure if decision is made or they want recommendations or ? Yes still got plenty of bait To Go, or you can eat them here too!

What are everyones opinions?<P>I'd favor a C&R only for the river in the spring.<P>I'd also favor a 4 fish Walleye limit, with 1 over 19.5, 4 fish Sauger limit. Year around, except for the spring close.

Catch and realease on the river and Bay. A fish limit of 4 walleyes 2 suagers in the summer with a size limit of none over 19 1/2 and 1 over 28" , and in the winter 4 walleyes and 6 saugers. and no fish can be kept in the river between March 1 till April 14th closing. I heard so far that over 1 million pounds yes 1 million were harvested last year. With no controls of not protecting the fishing limits we need more enforcement up here for the people that make a few trips on and off the lake in one day! Or our fishing will be fishing and no catching.

Lakowoods,<P>Something has to give I agree. That is 2 years running with way over target harvest limits.<P>A million pounds this year eh? Uff.

4 and 4 limit would'nt bother me. I doubt the DNR would leave the river open to just C&R, they'll close it all together. Leaving it open for C&R would probably start a big mess with folks wanting a C&R early season all over the state. I've heard they are thinking of upping that 1 over 19.5 to 1 over 28 or something like that. This would'nt bother me either....I see far too many of those 24, 25, 26, and 27 inch 'trophies' kept. Whether they're going to the taxidermy man or going under a knife these fish are way valuable as spawning stock, and they don't turn a head up here till they're 30 inches anyways in my book! 1 fish over 28 would suit me fine vs. the 1 over 19.5, that way all those midsize fish that would normally be killed by some anglers would get a better chance to make it to what I think is a respectable mounting size anyways! A couple more spawns coming from these fishes would be a good thing too.<P>fiskyknut

Yep Steve I could live with your rules. I cast my vote for you to be the new head of the DNR fisheries office in our region!<P>I still can't see them leaving the river open to C&R only. Open up a can of worms statewide. Is that 2 fish limit with no fish over 19.5 we have now on the river really that hard on the population?<P>I kinda wonder if their minds are'nt already made up, the 2004 reg booklet shows the season on the Rainy closing March 1 2005.<P>Fisky

Fisky:<P>I must be missing something in your wording, (or I'm tired)<P>Wouldn't 1 over 28 open up the slot all the way to 28? 1 over 28 would mean you could keep 4 25 inchers etc...?

Oh No! Perhaps I did'nt word what I heard right. 4 Walleye total, all fish between 19.5 and 28 inches to go back, 1 over 28 allowed. Sheees, the last thing I would want to see are stringers of 24 and 25 inch Walleyes being kept....YIKES!!!

I would like to see those limits put into effect too. My point earlier was that some people say there isn't any forgiveness if a fish between that range wouldn't swim when released. The other side of that it is I see a lot of guys in the fish cleaning house who have a 25 incher laying on the table and say "well, I had to keep her because she wouldn't swim" when alot of the times that was [PoorWordUsage] and they just wanted to eat it. I would be 100 percent in favor of regs like that unless I needed a 25 incher to catch WT or Fisky in a tourney. j/k

I agree with Buckets, for us who drive 6 hours to get up to LOW I really don't want to see the limit regulations changed.

Ripper:<P>Your gonna need that 31 to keep up. That 25 isn't going to cut the mustard anyway.

I,d be in favor of the slot Fisky refered to 19.5-28 protected and only 1 over 28.<P>As far as the spring make it catch and release. That is the trip for a camera.<P>------------------<BR>Will fish for work<BR>Brian Rogers

The 25 incher will look nice next to my partner's 30 incher in July along with our 4 19's If I get anymore grief, I am going to give out your hotspot from a few weeks ago.

So you won't make the 4-6 hour drive if they cut the limit back by a few? Whatever happened to going fishing for the sport and good time, etc? I guess the mind set of taking all you can take is more important.

Curly,<P>Good call man, if you're fishing for supper then four walleyes is more then enough. The fishing is always good, it's the catching that a little tougher sometimes.

<P>I talked to Borderview Lodge where the meeting is to be held. The DNR and the resort owners had a meeting a few weeks ago, as the DNR wanted "resorters" feedback on business/marketing/DNR policies. The DNR will present proposals to resort owners next week, assuming possible regulation changes. The RIVER was not brought into the meeting.<P>I have not been able to contact Mike Larson by phone, I will update as I hear. I WILL be attending the meeting to give you accurate information!!<P><BR>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://www.clementsonresort.com" TARGET=_blank>www.clementsonresort.com</A><BR>Fishing on the Rainy River<P>Rainy River Fishing Reports<p>[This message has been edited by Sandee (edited 03-04-2004).]

Ripper:<P>Only 1 over this year, better make it count!<p>[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 03-04-2004).]

So that's what it's coming down to, the DNR schedules a special meeting with the resort owners to figure out potential changes.<P>Wow, this is going south in a hurry, what do you think the resort owners want....as many fish as they can get. How many posts have a read where people are talking about what the resort tells them to keep. Anything that stretches the pail....throw it in they say!! It's all about numbers with those people. That way they can type up a report for there website that looks good. Oh yeah I forgot, they do own the lake.

Actually lowrox, some resort owners favor reduction. Many favored the reduction that was put into place for summer fishing and actually many pushed for it.<P>Possibly I didn't explain the reasoning of the meetings correctly, I don't want to start yet another controversary. <P>Best bet - contact DNR in Baudette!!<P><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://www.clementsonresort.com" TARGET=_blank>www.clementsonresort.com</A><BR>Fishing on the Rainy River<P>Rainy River Fishing Reports

Sandee,<P>You're probably right, some resorts might favor a reduction in limits. You would think that all of them would. When your income is based on a given fishery then why wouldn't you want to preserve it? My big problem with resorts is when they have a client that want's to keep a 6 lb. walleye. It's in the rules that they can do this, the guides hands are tied. About all the guide can do is ask if the guy is going to mount the fish. So the guy says yes, but when they get back to the dock he's had a sudden change of heart. "Let's just clean the fish" the guy says. This is where I think that a slot limit should be added where fish between 19.5 & 28" are returned to the lake.

Sandee - Thank you for the update on what this meeting is intended to be about. I am very happy to hear that it does not involve the river.

I see reports of fish 6+ pound kept, I can only assume those reported are kept as a trophy. I understand your point, and yes, if it's legal, there is nothing a guide or resort owner can do. If you've never caught a walleye bigger than 5 pounds, a 6+ could be a trophy fish. A slot could be beneficial, both small slot and big slot: meaning to also release walleyes under 12" (or similar). When fishing is slow lots of 11" walleyes are harvested, what I gather from reading fishing reports.<P><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://www.clementsonresort.com" TARGET=_blank>www.clementsonresort.com</A><BR>Fishing on the Rainy River<P>Rainy River Fishing Reports

I actually had that happen to an 8lb'er once...made me sick. If that fish would have still been alive after the boat ride back I would have comitted a big "whoops" and the fish would have mysteriously fell out of my hands and back into the lake and I would not have cared if I got paid or not!<P>Sad thing is, until the law is changed, there is nothing a resort owner or a guide can do to stop someone from keeping a fish. We can strongly sugjest releasing em, but we can't make em.<P>I truly believe that most resort owners do what is best for the water they are on. Why wouldnt they? I mean, it is in their best interests.<P>By the way, be careful of the words you use and the language of your posts, some might see them as a personal attack...just an FYI.