• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Toady,
how is the ice shaping up on Round? I usually try to fish near the plateaus in the middle of the lake. Would I be able to walk out to them from the south access this weekend? Thanks
fish

Hey fish,

Wassup! Round had a nice bite going for several days through last weekend. Mostly, I was off the points from the west side access right along 371. Popped eight fish first night out, then four two nights later and finally, a few nights ago tried a different point a ways further north along the break and found a big school of fish workin'. Can't wait to get back on 'em tomorrow.

To answer your question, though, I would think you'd be able to get out there. But I talked to a few guys who'd been fishing off the south access all last weekend. Said they had as little as an inch and a half in some spots. They stayed pretty much off the first breakline. And now with the snow and all . . . But-- I have spotted anglers way out there the past few days. We'll see.

I wanna get out on a few of those midlake humps, too. So we'll just have to wait and see who's brave. Maybe I'll see you out there. I'll be glued to my underwater camera. Either way, let me know how you do.

-a friend called Toad

. . . . . . at any rate, if you're thinking about fishing Round this weekend, do it. The ice is now in decent shape-- 4 to 7 inches of good solid stuff.

S'posed to dip into the single digits tonight, too. Then we're talkin about a nice warmup into the weekend-- perfect fishing weather. I'll be there, crazy or not.

-a friend called Toad

Hey Guys!

Well, the crowds have arrived on Round Lake, but that's what happens when the bite is on. Past two evenings, the nicer fish have been pushed off the primary breaklines along the south and west ends. Tons of baby fish (8 to 10 inchers) still around, but I don't know whether people realize that the bigger fish have moved. 99% of anglers are still clustered together where the fish were a week ago.

Last night was slow until just at dark I ran across a 29 incher. After that, the bite died completely. This evening (just got back), on a hunch, we ran out to a midlake hump and it payed off. Very few anglers have been keying on midlake structure yet, but these are the areas that seem to be holding the larger fish.

In an hour & a half this evening, we got nine "nice" fish, plus about ten more of those baby 'eyes that are so thick in both Gull and Round right now. By far, jigging spoons (I, a Rocker Minnow - Troy, a Swedish Pimple) produced best.

I absolutely can't wait 'til Pelican gets a good 4 inches. Could be the hottest bite of the year-- especially the way this lake fished all fall. I'll let you know when it's ready. Looked like it just froze over a few nights ago-- but didn't look real safe out there yet. Be there!

-a friend called Toad