• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

I just started going to NDSU and I want to try fishing the Red River. Can someone tell me a good place to shorefish from the MN side for catfish. What is a good set up to use for catfishing from shore. What other fishing opportunities exist on the red river in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Thank you

Scoot

Hey MN,

Tons on opportunities on the Red and the tribs around here. Catfishing will be good for a while still and the walleye fishing will start to pickup pretty soon. For cats, try cutbait or frogs below the snags that are downriver from the dams in town.
For walleyes (maybe in 2 weeks to a month), try minners, plastics, or cranks below dams, at the mouth of tribs, or in the holes that are down from dams. Rigs for cats are traditionally slip rigs, but a number of other rigs can be very effective. Too many options to go through with this here.
Finally, your best option would be to hire Backwater Eddy for a day or two. You'll learn more in this brief time than you'll learn all fall on your own. His rates are reasonable and you'll definitely be glad you did. It's even worth it to hire him for a day simply to drill him with limitless questions- he's got answers for everything fishing that has to do with the Red and the tribs around here.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

Ed Carlson

Hoo-ya...I got answers...just not always the right ones though.

grin.gif

MNsportsman..Welcome to the area and welcome to FM.com and the Red River Forum.

Scoot has wise tips for you on what to plan for ahead. Just do not get hung up on the idea River Walleye are DEEP walleye...not true for most of the fall..just the opposite. They often are within spit'n distance of the bank and very shallow, day or night. Especially in early to mid fall.

Do some exploring around Fargo and points to the North keeping in mind what Scoot mentioned. You should quickly find fishy looking water.

Remember you can fish both sides of the Red with either a MN or ND permit, just not up into the tribs on the ND side with a MN permit..and visa-versa.

Good scouting!

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 08-31-2004).]

wishiniwerefishin

When you guys say that the 'eyes are shallow in the river, what would you recommend to go after them, a shallower running crank, or start pitching jig/minnow combo's out?? Never really fished walleye from shore and thinking that it could pose a new challenge for me to try.

Ed Carlson

Both, mix it up tell you hone in on what they want.

My $2 tip for you is Larger then average minnow imitation cranks do best after dark.

If it gets tough going and nobody wants to chase a bait, try floats and large minnows near structure like snag piles and or backwaters.

My last case scenario is a large sucker minnow set on a slip rig above deeper sand hole. But that is next to giving up renting a new release movie and heading home in my book.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]