• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red & Red Lake river reports.

I've found the same thing in low water years too, Wiskers. Seems that for some reason the fish don't make it up to the dams when the water's low. I'm not sure why and won't try to explain it, but I can certainly describe it- few fish at the traditional summer spots.
We've got a weird deal here this year. Red, Wild Rice, and Buffalo are really low but the Sheyenne is sky high. I checked it on Mon and it was still ridiculously high and muddy. Clarity was at about one inch. Water's too high... water's too low... can't win! I have found a few fish at some of my secondary spots on the tribs, but not like some years.
I put the boat in last night and didn't do much. We found a few small cats and a couple goldeyes. Cold!!! We quit when our fingers started to lose feeling and headed for a beer to warm us up.

------------------
Scoot

RodsbyEngel: custom made fishing rods

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wiskers

• Scoot

• Timdogg

• Fishin' Man

LOl you know it's cold when a beer will warm up your fingers LOL.. I can relate..

You know it is too bad that us fishing guides can not use the programs like farmers use.. if it floods a field, they get paid for the crop, if there is no rain then they get paid for the crop... or even if the yield in not like it us supposed to be.. ect ect. ect..

Our crops are fish, maybe I can get crop, "fish" insurance???? for those days our yields are not up to par... LOL...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have been getting walleyes at the dam in Crookston since it opened and I am not even fishing for them. I guess I'm better than you guys, haha, jk. The secret bait is half a crawler on the bottom on a bare hook. Don't tell anyone though. Good luck.

Hey TimDogg....any cats yet?? Hopefully it'll warm up next week so finals week will put out a few cats. Well, I'll see ya down there next week. Good Fishin!

Hey Timdogg.. I have not seen any pics......LOL... Pics dont lie LOL.....

I hope to start doing more fishing soon.. things are staring to let up a bit so I can get out more now.. lets hook up one day and go play with the RP.....

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 04-23-2004).]

fished the dam in crookston fri. bellow the sand bar. seemed like suckers befor dark eye's after. got three eye's in 1/2 hour after dark. one had a chestnut lampray on it, **** things are never going to disappear i just hope there numbers are not going up. wounder why they are on the game fish but not the suckers or sheepheads?

Hey Timdog after ya left last night we got like 2 or 3 more walleyes before we left for the night.

Boy I tell ya.. I have seen more lampreys in the last few years than I ever have... Got a real nice Eye last summer that had one on it and the fish was pretty colorless.... the mark in the Eye was about an inch acorss.. that is not a good sign...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Ya I be bug'n them kitty's some these days.

Them kitty's are kinda cool/slow blooded just yet. For me they are going for the cuts. A bit smaller Mooneye cuts then I normally use though.

A bit more sit'n on a spot has been better then Fish-&-Go....for me anyway.

Picky buggers...not good canidates for circle hooks...just yet...so...I have been using 4/OT Kahles with better hook-up luck.

Sat-Sun was OK....cats from #2 to #15 or so. I kept a few 20" for supper...Nummy.

I-B-Fish'n areas where the sun shines most of the day, shallow water/muddy bottom was the key.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-640-2796
><,sUMo,>

I finally got my first cat of the season in Crookston last night. A nice plump 27". It took a piece of cut goldeye. Starting next week, cats beware, cause it's on.

Fished the Red River Sat & Sun. Saturday was so so, caught a 17lber and some smaller ones on goldeye and sucker minnows. Sunday was grrreeaatt!! Caught 1-20lb, 3 over 15lb and several above 10lbs. Water temp was in the mid to upper 40's. We fished the channel and log jams, with more fish caught right next to the channel. Lots of fun...MAN I LOVE CATFISHING!!!

------------------
CatMan

I went out on Monday night where a ditch comes into the Red and caught 10-12 cats in about an hour. They were small and caught on worms. When you use cutbait, what size do you cut the chunks into? It was fun to catch fish, but I would like to get into something with some size to it. I think I am going to try again tonight and see if I can find the bigger fish.

I use different size cuts. However, I'd start with a 2"x2" piece and see what happens. Fresh cut goldeye is great for this time of year. Should be easy to find some gold eye too. Just rig a small jig under a bobber about 2 feet down around snags, the dams, bends in the river- you'll find some pretty quickly.
Good luck!

------------------
Scoot

I like a chunk about 1x3 or so cut from a fillet of Sucker, Goldeye or whatever.

Fisky

When you cut a chunk for cutbait are you using just the meat or are you using guts and all? Whenever I try and catch goldeye they never seem to be around. I am going to get some bait and give the cats a try again tonight.

Yep, you can use the whole deal. Keeping the innards in them helps with scent too. However, you'll get little peckers poking around if you keep the guts in them- choose your poison.
Keep your eyes peeled at the dams over the next month. They'll get thick with goldeyes pretty soon. Catch 'em, cut 'em up, freeze 'em- keep for later.

------------------
Scoot

Can anyone tell me if it helps to cut the goldeye before freezing them or is it better to leave them whole? And if cut is better, should I still freeze them in water?

Any help on keeping them would be much appreciated.

------------------
CatMan

Freezing gold eye are tough.. they get soooooo mushy even after the first half hour if they are not on ice.. I would recomend cutting them before you freeze them.. With out water might be the best deal that way you can take chunks out as you need them rather than unthawing the whole batch at once..

Seems the cats are turning on in the RLR getting some good reports as of the last few days... its about time..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Thanks for the info, might try a little of both and see what works best.

------------------
CatMan

Wiskers, things seem to be turning on here too. Cats moving on the Red and the tribs too. By the end of next week, I think cattin' will be going full swing. Yeeehhaa!

------------------
Scoot

Wow.. 85 degrees yesterday and over night it went down to 33 degrees...holy smoke... if that keeps up the kitties will go back into winter mode.....

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Yeah, tell me about it. I was dumb enough to go fishing in that hurricane last night. Boy was it windy. I did manage a few cats off goldeye though. I had to cut it into smaller chunks, then they started hammering it. Pretty quick here it should really pick up.
Wiskers, finals start next week, so I should have a little time starting next week, then I'm wide open after that till I get a job. Lets hook up and chase some piggies.

Man I sure want to get out and find some kitties soon.. I have not been out for almost two weeks.. sigh... that is not right.. lol

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442