• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red & Red Lake river reports.

Well the water is going up and the ice is getting pretty soft.. Water showing up on top of the ice down river at the landing late afternoon today.. Took the truck and plowed the landing down to the river so it can melt off and be ready for open water.. The ice below the dam moved back about 40 feet today also..

http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/imagemaps/RRN.shtml
------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 03-22-2004).]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wiskers

• Scoot

• Timdogg

• Fishin' Man

Looked like the ice is really getting thin around the bridges in town. Hopefully we can get some warm weather so everything starts getting thin and gets off the water and we can start fishing soon.

I wet a line down at the dam in Crookston this afternoon. Didn't catch anything, but it sure was nice to fish soft water. There is still a lot of ice down there but it didn't look like it was gonna last very long. It won't be very long now, especially with the warm water in the forecast.

Timdogg.. that dam opened up about 40 feet just in the last day or two.. that is a good sign.. Water is going up to break the shore ice loose.. with 50s the next few days I can see that dam area starting to break up.....

I did not have any luck either the other day when I was down there... The fish must still be sitting tight in the slack water away from that fast water.. The bypass landing started to get water on top yesterday afternoon.. I plowed the ramp off so it can start to burn off also.. Had to call a tow truck though.. lol lol A bit icey under the snow on the ramp.. lol...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River, Red Lake River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

If you can get to them, try the first deep hole below the dams- might be anywhere in the first mile or so below the dam. Give a jig and minnow a shot in the slack water just outside of the hole. Maybe try in the deep water, but these fish are usually sluggish until they move out- but never hurts to try.
With the big warm up, I'd think the traditional spring areas will get revved up pretty soon.

------------------
Scoot

So I got dat goin’ for me… which is nice.

Timdogg.. I must have just missed you at the Dam... I was just down there also at 12:30....

The water has gone up about 7 inches in the past two days..and going up fast... Hard to believe how that sheet ice can stand that preasure on it in that much flow????? Kinda fun to watch just hopeing to see something let loose while your there. ... ...

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Good one. I just checked the dam out a few minutes ago. A little less ice than yesterday, but the water is really starting to flow. It won't be long now.

Was just at the dam in Crook rock and boy is the ice going fast. I actually checked it twice today and in about 5 hours there was a lot of difference. I am getting so excited I think I will just camp out down there till it's time. If this keeps up I would say that by this weekend the dam will be wide open.

Tim.. I was down there about 4-5 times today too.. . .heck we have to start making shifts.. LOL we keep missing each other.. I did see a couple fellas up by the hospital looking also, maybe it was you??

Have you went and looked at the rock dams behind Pleasant St.? that one flooded huge today.. the ice sank out of site.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Nope, that wasn't me. Where is pleasant street at? I'm gonna go check the river right now. I'll see ya down there soon I'm sure.

Timdogg... Pleasant street is right off Woodland to the north... go about to the 6-700 block and look for an empty lot next to a light tan brick house.. look over the dike thee and find the rock dam.. pretty wild water there.. Cant wait to take the RP over that..

Give me a call when you head out and I can meet you somewhere..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Well the river took a monster jump last night. It went up 5 feet.. Now it is really moving the ice at the dam.. The river will not hold to gether much longer.. If we get that rain we could be in some alert mode. If all the ice starts to jam up with that amount of water pushing it we could see some dangerous jumps in water levels.. Keep your eyes open for ice jams, (AND DREW)"God forbid" and call them in so the authorities can do what needs to be done to stay on top of it..

Even though the rivers are very low, it will not take long for the levels to reach flood stage if the ice jams up and holds it back..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I fished a staging area near town last night and my fortune stayed consistent- nothing. The river's really mudded up and is higher than I thought it would be. That's bad news for yesterday's fishing, good news for the fishing over the next couple weeks. I think things are going to get moving in the next week to 10 days. Yeeehhaaaaaaaa!!!

------------------
Scoot

yeppers here too.. I was out on the River the past two days, went through two tanks of gas just exploring and some fishing but the current is way too much and the gras and debris is over welming still... Hope the fish get hungry soon... But I was on the water, that is the biggest issue..

I went about 10 miles on the river today and no signs of Dru.. I pray somehow that someone finds some clues soon.. for the family's sake.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

The current here isn't as strong as it sounds there, Wiskers. However, the water's still pretty dang dirty. I'm thinking as soon as things clear up a little the fishing will improve.

Good to keep your eyes open where you're at. What a God-send that would be to have somebody put that whole tragedy to rest.

Keep us updated on conditions up there and I'll do the same here.

------------------
Scoot

Nope no blisters here yet. It does not take long to use a tank of gas on this RP when you are messing around.. It is too hard to keep throtled down.. lol lol.. Im gonna have to work on keeping the RPMs down so I can go farther on a tank..

Our river is going down quite a bit but there is still a major ice jam and sheet ice above the dam yet.. wish that would move out but looks like it might just melt where it sits..???? Not enough current to push it down above the dam..

Sounds like they are putting off any water searches for this weekend due to the ice above the dam.. that way no one gets trapped by the ice incase it lets go and you can not get back to the landing.. Time will tell I guess..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Fished the Red over lunch today and it's starting to drop pretty good here in Fargo. However, it's still plenty dirty. I'm thinking the water will clear and warm some and things will get going in the next week or so. How long have I been saying that now??? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
Scoot

I hear ya.. LOL .. I keep telling myslef that too but I still keep finding myself bringing the fishing rods with when I go out to play on the river..

these warm days will help a lot.. The ice is still jammed up real bad in town above the dam here.. if we get some real rain we will be in trouble..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I fished the dam today. Donated a few jigs to the drink and took off after about a half hour. The water still seems pretty cold and dirty.
There was quite a flow coming down too.

Tried it down at the river today where I fish during the summer. Water was really cloudy. Had one hit. Don't know what it was but came back with a gash in the side of the plastic jig. Otherwise we caught a piece of wood. Kinda hard to eat that. Did hook a chunk of ice that was flowing by that took the drag out really quick. Anyone catching anything?

So hows the River Pro working for ya. Two tanks you most have blisters on you hands from driving. Say you find your cap'ts hat yet. I forgot to ask Ted if we can marry people. Just thought it might be a way to make more money hehehe. Ifn you need someone to ride with you this weekend to look for Dru give me a call if I'm not busy I just might tag along if you need someone. Later Kent

I am not even trying anymore, the water is way too fast and full of crap... I am thinking about trying it again in about a week or so.. maybe the water will settle down by then..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Sources tell me that things are going pretty good in the Wahp area. Once things turn on there, they usually get going in a little less than a week here. I fished a few spring spots on some tribs yesterday and did well at one and struggled at the rest. The Red isn't kicking out any decent fish at the traditional spring spots (from what I've seen and heard). Looks like today and tomorrow might be about it for fishing opportunities this week- cold temps and rain/snow/sleet in the future it looks like. I'll be on the water tonight and tomorrow night. Yeeehaa!!!

------------------
Scoot

Ya here too.. I am thinking I might try a spot or two today but the rest of the week looks pretty grim..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

I went out last night by the North Dam. I lost quite a few jigs and had one hit. I didn't have time to go and get bait so I was using just the jig and a twister tail. It was fun being out in that weather, even though the fish didn't want to cooperate. I did see a couple of fish caught across the river. They were small and looked like they could have been walleyes. I am going to try and get down there again soon. Does anyone ever fish at night down there?

Well it all depends on which dam you fished at? Are you talking the rock dam on the Red that was filled with rock last year? If so, it should not be long before the Eyes start to feed there.. As long as you are on the ND side or have a ND license.. MN license will not allow you to fish Eyes as of yet if your on the Red Lake River..

Night fishing on both rivers is at times pretty darn good.. My best times for Eyes is still in the mornings and evenings. Cats are good either way depending on the time of year..

I just can't wait to get that first cat in the boat to start off the summer... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Here in town you can fish either side of the river with either license. At the North Dam you can fish the MN side with just a ND license, for example.
Cranking at night is a hit and miss deal, in my experience. I've had some really great nights, but had more tough ones. Seems to be feast or famine to me. In the fall is prime time for cranking. When the water clears up, try some of your traditional fall spots with long stick baits that have a wide wobble- shallow running Reef Runners and Bomber Long A's are my favorites. Particularly late in the fall when we get a nice run of weather. If you really want to figure out the cranking deal in the fall, give Backwater Eddy a call and book a trip with him- he's the king of fall walleyes (cranking and flipping frogs- both at night).

------------------
Scoot

The red is pretty high right now, last I heard the drayton bridge was closed. Drove past the joliette bridge a few days ago and the water was starting to come over the road on the ND side. I really hope the water goes down fast because I usually fish under the joliette bridge. Anyone else here ever fish between that bridge and the canadian border?

Wow, what's wrong with this picture? That hurts...................................................................................

Fish off.................................................................................................................................

North Red River..

I have not tried much above Drayton yet but have always wanted to and with any luck this summer I can make it up there and give it a go..If there is any water left...

Be careful of what you wish for... I was just thinking the same thing a week ago about the Red Lake river.. It dropped so fast and is still going down to where I will not be able to usa a boat in it most likely by opener... man, where is all that water going.. How come our rivers are not holding any water any more..??? Kinda spooky for us guides.. might have to offer wader guided trips in stead of boat guided trips LOL....

I traveled 26 miles of river Yesterday towards Fisher, Many areas I was in is only averaging 3 feet deep already... that is not a good sign.........

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 04-07-2004).]