• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was just wondering if anyone fishes the Red Lake River around Crookston? Fished it during the summer but don't know about the winter. Where do people fish and what do they use to catch them? Any help would be great I just don't want to drive to Maple if I can catch them right in the back yard.

THanks

You'll find very few ice anglers on the rivers around here. However, some great fishing can be had. The first thing I can tell you is that you'd be wise to hire Ed Carlson (Backwater Eddy) for a day- it'd be money very well spent and would save you a heck of a lot of time and effort. Do a search and you'll find his homepage.

Couple things if you decide to give it a shot on your own- safety first. Don't go alone and have ice picks and rope along. Look for slow water near deeper water. There's only half-a-dozen or so really deep holes between Crox and G.F. Sharp bends are where you'll find deep water. Target 4 to 10 feet of water. Lumber helps and you need slack water. If you have a camera, it really helps- you won't believe how clear the water is under that ice. Forget about thoughts of a dirty river- gin clear if there isn't a recent warm spell and runoff. Electronics really help too- even in six feet of water it makes a difference. I've had my best luck on the Red and the tribs in the evening into the night. Last winter the bite seemed to last until 8:00 or 9:00, the shut down.
Everything I know about ice fishing the rivers is completely second hand info from Backwater Eddy. You'd be wise to hire him- even if it's for a half-day.
Scoot

So the only way to fish around here is to get a guide? I have all the gear and equipment that I need I'm just looking for some spots. I see vehicles down by the **** all the time just wondering what they are using. Thanks.

Get a hold of Wiskers, he lives in Crookston and could tell you where the fish are.

No point in getting snippy! "Couple things if you decide to give it a shot on your own" seems to suggest that you can fish on your own without a guide. I suggested the best way for you to learn a lot in a hurry. I was going to suggest contacting Wiskers, but he doesn't sound like he's done much ice fishing on the river there. He might be able to help you though, because it sounds like he knows the river well from all of his summer travels on it.
If you don't want to contact Ed or pay attention to any of my other tips, that's ok by me, fish below the dam with the rest of the folks. Be careful though, the ice can be hit or miss down there. Safe here, thin there. Most of the people below the dam are using pretty standard walleye ice fishing techniques- jig and a minnow.
If you don't want to go below the dam, the info I gave in the first post will be plenty to get you snooping in the right direction. I'm not giving out detailed maps to any spots here obviously, but knowing what to look for is 85% of the battle. Do some snooping in the types of spots I mentioned above and you'll find fish.
Scoot

Well sorry folks for not being here for a bit... I have been swamped setting up fish houses on the river, setting up fishing contest and helping with the Catfish league meetings.. sigh sigh.. not enough time as of late..

I may be new here but I also have guided for ten years around the Crookston area, Grand Forks and Canada. Ed and I get along great and I will miss him on here. We shared great info back and forth.. No you do not have to hire a guide... Just give us a call. We may be doing this for a job but some times we are just looking for some one to go out scouting for fish with us. Fishing alone is not my way of choice.

Well fisherman.. what do you need to know? Just ask and I will see what I can do for ya. If you looking to fish the Red Lake river in crookston, I have just set up about 5-6 houses on the river in the last two weeks and the fellas have been catching fish.. They are even spearing some nice Pike. Most are setting up in the dam area. The rest of the river is land locked so the fish are really hard to find and they can not migrate this winter like most winters. We are setting up in 26-10 feet of water. We are catching Walleyes, Pike and cats. We are seeing almost every kind of fish on the cameras. The bite has been ver up and down. Crappie minnows, chubs and suckers are the bait of choice. Main times are noon to 3pm.

Remember we are having a fishing contest on Feb. 7, 2004 here in Crookston.

Good luck.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota River,for Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 01-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 01-09-2004).]

Thanks for the update Wiskers. Are you putting your houses near the dam or are you placing them out in the boonies too? There are some good holes between Fisher and Crox, but as you suggested, you'll have to cross private land to get to them.
I haven't been able to get out on the river around here. I'm going to give Ed a shout and see if he wants to try russle up some eyes or cats next week sometime. If I get home (Fisher) sometime in the next month or two maybe I'll give you a shout and we can snoop for some new spots on the Red Lake???
Scoot

Scoot.

I tell ya what, this low water and major sand bars all over, I have not had any luck finding fish in holes as of yet.. The only place I have found fish is in the dam...??? We searched with cameras for several days when searching for Dru. We did not see many fish at all. That concerns me for the fishes sake.. I am thinking they are either stuck in a few corners or the majority has migrated to the Red. I have scanned several holes between Fisher and Crookston and nothing..

Even the fish in the dam are not biteing very well at all...????? The fish are just thick in there but not eating for some reason.. I realy screwed up though.. I am having this fishing tournament in the dam in Feb., but being the fishing guide that I am, I knew a fella that spears every year and we shared fishing holes each winter but this year he tried all over down river, Lake Sarah, Union and Maple with no luck. So I invited him to the Dam and set him up in 10 feet of water. .He though I was nuts but he gave it a go.... Well so far he has gotten several BIG pike.. 8#, 10# 5#, and cats, carp,and so on.. each day..... I am afraid that he will harvest all the large pike out of the dam area so there is no chance contestants will get a nice big pike.... With such a small area it can be fished out quite easy.

But ya, give me a call, I am always up for exploring for new fishing holes..

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

Whisker's, is it legal to spear a catfish? I saw your post a few weeks back on all the fish you were seeing on the camera below the dam. That has to be COOL! I would think with that many fish around down there they're gonna have to start eating something pretty darn quick!

WEll I hate to say it but Cats are a fish the state allows to be speared. . I am still trying to verify that through DNR but according to Backwater Eddy you can.. We dont like to advertise that they are but it appears so.

I will keep you posted on what I find.

Ok I found it..
Northern pike, rough fish, catfish, and whitefish may be taken by
dark house spearing through the ice from December 1, 2003 through
February 15, 2004 except where prohibited.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442

[This message has been edited by Wiskers Guiding Service (edited 01-12-2004).]