• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Canadian Greenbacks on the Prowl

We tried to revive it for about 5 minutes but I think I clipped a gill when I weighed it and the fish kept turning belly up under the ice so I decided to keep it and mount it rather than have it die in the river. I will get it to a taxidermist today and it will take about 6-8 months to get back. Ed, do you know any good ones I shoud call.

Fisherdog

Nothing wrong with harvesting a fish like that for the wall!

Since you tried, it's too bad she didn't make it though. The thrill of the release is a double BLING-BLING thrill. She will make a gorgeous wall mount!

Definitely shop around!

Look for artists who have done "Red River Greenbacks" before, see what they turned out like before you commit to anybody. Some guys get the Greenback glimmer perfect, and others just make it look like any other walleye caught anywhere.

Stu uses a taxidermist that has got the look as close to perfect as I have ever seen, anywhere. I drool a puddle on the floor in front of one SUMO HOG every time I stay in cabin #7. He just may be the best guy to talk too?

I personally like OtterTail Taxidermy, near Elizabeth MN. Yet he has not done any Red River of the North Greenbacks for me, just some great hog river walleyes. So I would say see his work and chat with him. He is good, and fairly reasonable.

Look around first, that is my best advice! And be sure they use non paper cores and the fins are pliable when they are done. Some use old school methods and they do not last well and fade and crack. Mine look great even after 11 years on one walleye, fins are still flexible too.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

UF-DA!

Yup...that be a hog!

I can't see myself heading that way anytime soon? But if I hear of anyone or if I do, I will drop you a line and see if you need it brought up yet.

What is the regs for going that I wonder? I have never brought one UP to Canada before?

No matter, the usual wait for a good mount is 6-8 months. If you can get it done quicker, all the better.

Awesome fish though, certainly one worth wall-hanging!

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

hey fisherdog what model of eskimo shak were you using?
oh by the way do you guys have my chair??can't find it I think i left it in the back of the truck..
was thinking of coming down there to buy my ice shak if it was worth the drive,how much did you say you paid?
hey ed can you get me any deals?

Here's a couple more pics from my camera

47b3cc28b3127cce83e8838bd6130000001610

47b3cc28b3127cce83e41dbc57580000002613

It sure was a thrill catching such a monster.

Ed, I talked to Stu and he gave me the name of the taxidermist he uses. I got his number off the internet and spoke with him this morning. I need to get him the fish or wait until he comes through DL on his way to Brainerd in late January, but I'd like to get it to him ASAP so he can get it done and then bring it back finished on his way through in January. You wouldn't be happen to be heading up yourself anytime soon or know anyone who is, would you? I'd really like to get it done sooner rather than later. Let me know if you think of something.

Fisherdog

Ryan, I've got your chair, I thought it was Scott's. I have the Eskimo Quickflip III and paid $239.00 for it, a great deal for sure. Picked it up at L&M Fleet Supply in Park Rapids but there is one in Bemidji also, probably closer to you. Also, let me know if you plan on coming down, I'll meet you wherever you plan on buying your shack, give you your chair, give you my fish to take to Dave DeLipper (taxidermist in Winnipeg), and buy you lunch. Email me at [email protected] and send your phone #, I'll give you a jingle so we can figure something out if you come down.

Thanks,
Fisherdog

Ah..HA!

It's the Ol' "Ransom the favorite ice fishing chair to get the sumo fish to the taxidermist ploy"!

Works every time Eh.

wink.gif

The Eskimo Quickflip III will serve you well Ryan. Easy to tote and the price is very good.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Dog,

You don't have my chair, but you do have my day planner and a map. I haver your water jug that we put the orange juice in. We'll have to swap sometime when it works out.
I'm heading back up to LOW this weekend. Believe it or not, my wife suggested it and she wants to spend a quiet weekend up North-life is good! I'll give you a report when I get back.
Scoot

Scoot..and..Crew.

I..caught..a..few..piggys..this..morning..on..the..local..river..real..close..to..home. wink.gif

They..had..bellies..full..of..frogs..and..baby..channel..cats.

One..burped..up..a..hopper..on..the..ice..for..me..to..admire.

Fat..well..fed..walleye..all..of..them..real..healthy..looking.

Caught..them..on..Gold..Chubby..Darters..and..hammered..gold..Angel..Eye..minnows..tipped..with..a..minnow.

No..12+..sows..but..very-very..nice..walleye.

Cool- sounds like lots of fun. I was up at LOW for the weekend and did ok. Lots of action, but mostly little ones. Sounds like you found some nicer fellas and gals.
Scoot

I.bet.there.are.more.then.a.few.near.you.too?

Many/most.rivers.get.totally.overlooked.in.the.winter.

I.target.smaller.slower.flowing.rivers.first
....then.move.on.to.wider.deeper.rivers.as.it.becomes.safer.

I.have.my.best.luck.after.dark...and.in.10'
.or.less.near.woody.cover.of.water.

Them.boys.up.North.have.an.abundance.of.sumo.walleye.to.work.with.

I.wish.I.was.closer.to.them.Canadian.Greenbacks..I'd.be.on.them.almost.daily.trying.for.that.17.

I wish I could help with your keyboard problems, Ed. I'm guessing you're getting sick of hitting the . button.

I'm getting serious about that deal we spoke about in our last e-mail. I'll get back to you on this one. I ran it past my boss (i.e. wife) and she thought it was a great idea.
Scott

I used to catch some real nice eyes on the vermilon river over this way..but they seemed to have gone away...we arent sure why....try again next year...last year was a bad time to go in there because of water levels....there are places and times to catch some real pigs over here...but like you say...those boys upnorth really have it good.....

------------------
garysguideservice
garytheguide.com
[email protected]
Phone: 218-744-3158

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ryan,
the fishing sure rocks and we appreciate the info and photos smile.gif

Ryan.and.crew.have.been.spanking.me.this
ice.season...so.far.

They.have.iced.their.share.of.28".and.better.Walleye.

I'll.need.to.kick.it.in.gear...If.I.plan.to.get.caught.up.

smile.gif

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>