• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Wiskers

Well Just wanted to drop a note again about steak for bait. So far in the last week of fishing the Red River out of GF, 15 fish were caught in 3 outings. 11 of them on steak. 2 on suckers and 1 on dip bait and 1 on frozen sucker cut bait. Having 4 rods out all the time and diffrent bait on each the steak has won over. We are getting larger cats on that bait also, 10-15#. hummm.

The nice part is you can flavor it with any of your favorite baits and it will stay on. Just make sure you are not using too large of bait. I cut about 1 inch squares other wise they will still run off with the bail and the hook set will not happen.

Would like any feed back to see how it works for you.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota RIver Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]
218-280-0442

vern

That's really interesting. Like others here, I've done some experimenting over the years by fishing different baits side-by-side. No surprise, but fresh cut-bait outproduced over all the other baits I've tried, including shrimp, crawlers, liver & dipbaits. I haven't tried steak yet though, that's a new one for me. Wow! 11-2 over cut-bait. I'll have to give that a try & let you know what I find. What should I use for flavor - A1 or Heinz 57? smile.gif Seriously, I'm going to try it. Vern

Wiskers

Well Vern, I take containers with a chunk of steak in each. I put beef liver and the blood in one and chicken livers and blood in the other one. The steak takes on the flavor. I even used dip bait in one. It also works well just plain. Let them sit in the containers in the fridge for a day or two and walla... they stay fresh and work wonders.

keep that hook sharp and line tight.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]
218-280-0442

scotty B

Hey whiskers,
I gave up on that steak idea and went to bread and cutbait but that idea does not sound so bad anymore the best thing i like about it is that it is so hard to get off the hook. I'm going to give it a try again. Thanks for the info.

scotty b

Very interesting, I'm going to try it myself. I've had luck on ripened chicken breast myself but like you state to season it in blood would work.

I think anything that gets outdated in the fridge would work with their keen sense of smell.

I ran into some Iowans in Halstad one time and they had huge pails of cheeze and whatever stinkbait. My God, was that stuff awfull. I cut up some sponges and soaked it up and threw it in and it worked well.

Oofda that stuff stunk.

fred

I have a hundred pounds maybe of stinky stuff on hand. They work, there is a time and place for them seasonally. I get mostly eaters on it though, few Piggy's.

Steak sounds tough, and durable, never tried it so I just may some time?

Most any day on the cats in the upper northern hemisphere I will reach for fresh cut baits and amphibians as top baits in my rig. Experience has me fairly stuck in my ways on fresh baits over shrunky stuff. Tonnage talks so I listen.

Cats track my scent so scent in most any form is key, that I totally agree with. Some appeal more to adults, other scents appeal more to pecker cats. Some days everything or nothing appeals to them all. Having several bait options on hand on a trip is often wise.

T&A is the key. Don't be shy about trying new stuff. I will try the steak, thats if I don't eat it first.

wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Wiskers

Well I tell ya, if ya have a small grill on board that Steak looks mighty fine when the hunger pains start knocking.. just remember to not handle the steak with the dirty hand LOL ....

Been there done that..

I hear ya about certain baits only getting small vs. big kitties but that steak seems to bring out the mid to large Sumos..

GOOD FISHING

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]
218-280-0442

Bruce

I tried the beefsteak trick for cats this morning. I caught two large cats using it!! I was glad I brought it along as we had no luck catching any goldeye. Bruce

Wiskers

Bravo for you Bruce,

I was hopeing that some one would have it work for them pretty soon.. I was starting to think I was loosing it.lol dishing up all that juicy steak and pounding them big kitties all by my self.

Thanks for the feed back.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Crookston, MN
[email protected]

218-280-0442